Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

15 Aug 2017, 7:15 pm

Most of my personality is based off of obsessive-compulsiveness, but there is definitely a difference between the OC traits of AS and actual OCD. Case in point, the obsessive-compulsiveness of OCD is crippling, unsettling, and unpleasant, whereas the obsessive-compulsiveness of AS is relaxing, soothing, and quite pleasant.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 11:50 pm

Definitely not me, haha. OCD is arguably a much bigger issue for me than autism. :P

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2017, 3:00 pm

Hypercoaster wrote:
Most of my personality is based off of obsessive-compulsiveness, but there is definitely a difference between the OC traits of AS and actual OCD. Case in point, the obsessive-compulsiveness of OCD is crippling, unsettling, and unpleasant, whereas the obsessive-compulsiveness of AS is relaxing, soothing, and quite pleasant.

Nope, it's really not nice. It's really troubling. If you have nice OCD, you're lucky, but I suspect in a small minority.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 3:10 pm

Could someone explain what nice OCD is ?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 6:12 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

I think they just meant the ASD type of obsessions. That's not OCD, though. :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 6:14 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

I think they just meant the ASD type of obsessions. That's not OCD, though. :D

Yeah , that's what I was thinking but don't know enough about it. :D

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2017, 4:24 pm

I do not always have OCD as many others here. I do have an inclination towards obsessive behavior (mostly in my thoughts, but I had also some behaviorial stuff), though. For me, it's almost always triggered by stress (usually not knowing how things will work work out before a job interview, an important meeting, an exam etc.) and/or low blood sugar (I get depressed, anxious and obsessive when I haven't eaten enough). E.g. I had schiz OCD as a child at a time when I had no friends at school and was bullied. After some intervention by my teacher, the bullying stopped a bit and I befriended two girls. The schiz OCD vanished entirely.

What I still don't get: What is the difference between pure-O and general anxiety disorder? E.g. constant worrying I could have infected people with some disease is usually seen as OCD, whereas constant rumination about what mistakes I could have done in an exam would be seen as GAD I guess? But personally, I don't really see the difference. It's one exaggerated fear for hours. Is it really about topics? Is there some difference I miss?

Edit:
Here a list of some of my unpleasant thoughts. What would you say is pure-O and what is GAD?
-worrying about how robots will control the future
-extreme worrying about climate change
-worrying about mistakes in an exam, constantly trying to figure out how many points I could have in worst case and best case
-worrying I could have hallucinations
-worrying that substances I have taken could be neurotoxic and I could have a brain damage because of that

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:45 pm

anti_gone wrote:
I do not always have OCD as many others here. I do have an inclination towards obsessive behavior (mostly in my thoughts, but I had also some behaviorial stuff), though. For me, it's almost always triggered by stress (usually not knowing how things will work work out before a job interview, an important meeting, an exam etc.) and/or low blood sugar (I get depressed, anxious and obsessive when I haven't eaten enough). E.g. I had schiz OCD as a child at a time when I had no friends at school and was bullied. After some intervention by my teacher, the bullying stopped a bit and I befriended two girls. The schiz OCD vanished entirely.

What I still don't get: What is the difference between pure-O and general anxiety disorder? E.g. constant worrying I could have infected people with some disease is usually seen as OCD, whereas constant rumination about what mistakes I could have done in an exam would be seen as GAD I guess? But personally, I don't really see the difference. It's one exaggerated fear for hours. Is it really about topics? Is there some difference I miss?

Edit:
Here a list of some of my unpleasant thoughts. What would you say is pure-O and what is GAD?
-worrying about mistakes in an exam, constantly trying to figure out how many points I could have in worst case and best case
-worrying that substances I have taken could be neurotoxic and I could have a brain damage because of that

It's hard to differentiate between OCD and GAD, but some of the main differences are that OCD has obsessions and compulsions, while GAD is more constant anxiety without relief from compulsions. Also, the obsessions seen in OCD are not excessive worries about real life problems- they are much more irrational than that. I can't say for sure what is OCD and what is GAD for you, since I don't know you in person and all you have mentioned are the worries (not what you do about them). But I'll just say from my personal experience that the hallucinations/neurotoxic worries seem more like OCD, while the other worries seem more like GAD, since they are more real-life (though I don't think robots will control the future). That's from my own experience- I'm no clinician :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:57 pm

I'm also no clinician and haven't even been diagnosed with OCD but the two examples Stampy mentioned above are IMO the most likely candidates to be OCD out of all your examples if any.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2017, 8:31 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
anti_gone wrote:

Edit:

It's hard to differentiate between OCD and GAD, but some of the main differences are that OCD has obsessions and compulsions, while GAD is more constant anxiety without relief from compulsions. Also, the obsessions seen in OCD are not excessive worries about real life problems- they are much more irrational than that. I can't say for sure what is OCD and what is GAD for you, since I don't know you in person and all you have mentioned are the worries (not what you do about them). But I'll just say from my personal experience that the hallucinations/neurotoxic worries seem more like OCD, while the other worries seem more like GAD, since they are more real-life (though I don't think robots will control the future). That's from my own experience- I'm no clinician :D .

Thank you for your input! :)

I know that OCD involves both obsessions and compulsions, but that's why I wrote about pure-O, since I read pure-O means "obsession only".

About how rational the worries are: MDMA is definitely neurotoxic, on the other hand it's very improbable that after taking it once my IQ would be lower that before. It's still unclear if cannabis is neurotoxic. I would not say this is totally irrational, but highly exaggerated. Also it's unclear if this would have any effect on my life.

About the robots: Ok, "control" was not the right term. But a thought that crossed my mind was that once robots can make art just as good as human art it's useless to create any art. That thought caused anxiety. I don't think the thought is totally irrational. It's just totally useless because I don't know what the future will be like and there's no use in worrying about things that might happen in some distant future.

The schiz OCD when I was a child was clearly utter nonsense. Totally irrational.

Quote:
real life problems

That would make sense, yes.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:36 pm

anti_gone wrote:

I know that OCD involves both obsessions and compulsions, but that's why I wrote about pure-O, since I read pure-O means "obsession only".

There are still compulsions with pure-o but they are mental compulsions ,

I think Stampy gave me the link to this but not sure but this will explain lot better https://www.ocduk.org/sites/default/fil ... -o.pdf.pdf

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:39 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
anti_gone wrote:

There are still compulsions with pure-o but they are mental compulsions ,

I think Stampy gave me the link to this but not sure but this will explain lot better https://www.ocduk.org/sites/default/fil ... -o.pdf.pdf

Thanks so much for this. I was about to say that since OCD is very rarely seen without any type of compulsion.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2017, 8:39 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
I'm also no clinician and haven't even been diagnosed with OCD but the two examples Stampy mentioned above are IMO the most likely candidates to be OCD out of all your examples if any.

Thanks for your answer.

The thing is, although GAD and OCD/Pure-O are different diagnoses and OCD doesn't even belong to anxiety disorders, the feeling is quite the same for me. So worrying about neurotoxicity on one side (if it's really OCD?) and worrying about climate change feels really similar to me. These thoughts usually appear when I'm really stressed, they are very unpleasant and they are coupled with a lot of anxiety.

Also, most of the actual compulsions (if these were really compulsions?) I had did not have anything to do with checking but more with anxiety and feeling bad about myself (e.g. there was a time at school where I would feel bad for every English word I did not know and I would have to write every English word from every text I read into a text file and punish myself mentally for it..though I don't have the compulsion anymore I still have trouble reading English novels because on every page there are at least 5 words I don't know). So for me it's all about anxiety and often about self-hate.

Edit: Ok, now I'm really confused :D

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:46 pm

anti_gone wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

The thing is, although GAD and OCD/Pure-O are different diagnoses and OCD doesn't even belong to anxiety disorders, the feeling is quite the same for me. So worrying about neurotoxicity on one side and worrying about climate change feels really similar to me. These thoughts usually appear when I'm really stressed, they are very unpleasant and they are coupled with a lot of anxiety.

Also, most of the actual compulsions I had did not have anything to do with checking but more with anxiety and feeling bad about myself (e.g. there was a time at school where I would feel bad for every English word I did not know and I would have to write every English word from every text I read into a text file and punish myself mentally for it..though I don't have the compulsion anymore I still have trouble reading English novels because on every page there are at least 5 words I don't know). So for me it's all about anxiety and often about self-hate.

Of course it's the same feeling- it's anxiety lol :D !

Checking is one type of compulsion, but there are a lot more. It does seem like you were "punishing yourself", though. I can't say for sure if that is a compulsion or more a rumination. That sometimes happens to me- if I ever think a "bad" thought, then I make myself feel really bad for weeks and constantly obsess over it.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2017, 8:49 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
anti_gone wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

The thing is, although GAD and OCD/Pure-O are different diagnoses and OCD doesn't even belong to anxiety disorders, the feeling is quite the same for me. So worrying about neurotoxicity on one side and worrying about climate change feels really similar to me. These thoughts usually appear when I'm really stressed, they are very unpleasant and they are coupled with a lot of anxiety.

Also, most of the actual compulsions I had did not have anything to do with checking but more with anxiety and feeling bad about myself (e.g. there was a time at school where I would feel bad for every English word I did not know and I would have to write every English word from every text I read into a text file and punish myself mentally for it..though I don't have the compulsion anymore I still have trouble reading English novels because on every page there are at least 5 words I don't know). So for me it's all about anxiety and often about self-hate.

Checking is one type of compulsion, but there are a lot more. It does seem like you were "punishing yourself", though. I can't say for sure if that is a compulsion or more a rumination. That sometimes happens to me- if I ever think a "bad" thought, then I make myself feel really bad for weeks and constantly obsess over it.

If OCD is basically anxiety, I wonder why it's not an anxiety disorder...

Quote:
more a rumination

And what would rumination be? GAD? Or something else?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 9:01 pm

anti_gone wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
anti_gone wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

If OCD is basically anxiety, I wonder why it's not an anxiety disorder...

Quote:
more a rumination

And what would rumination be? GAD? Or something else?

I though it was considered an anxiety disorder :? . I personally think it's more developmental/neurological just because it's more lifelong (not saying other conditions can't be lifelong) and it is literally a disconnect between certain parts of the brain. Anxiety is more the result of not performing the compulsion, not the actual disorder.

Rumination could be GAD or OCD. If there is any sort of compulsion involved, then it is OCD. What you described seems like OCD, or at the very least OCD traits. I'm not a professional, but I would definitely think you have GAD. I am still thinking about whether that particular thing you mentioned is OCD, or just GAD. Somme of the other stuff you wrote seems like OCD to me.

Hope you are doing okay :D !