Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:45 am

I'm pretty sure I don't.

I do wash my hands a lot: everytime I touch a toilet or a trash bin, before leaving the house, after returning home, before eating etc. - even if I washed them 5 mins before, unless I didn't touch anything "dirty" (floor, doorknob, cabinet handle) during that time. And I do own a portable hand sanitizer in case there is no water source and I need to eat after I travelled a tram or something. But I do it briefly (I am fine with just water unless I touched a toilet) - not like I am washing my hands 5 times in a row or something. And I consider it logical - Its common sense to wash your hands after toilet and before eating and stuff like knobs are full of germs too.

I also have ruminations when something is stressing me (for example job interviews or something weird growing on my skin) but it doesn't happen too often, usually I am pretty laid back.

And while I have the thoughts of "Did I lock the door?" I can calm myself down without checking: "I always lock the door so why wouldn't I do it this time? Besides what is going to happen if I didn't? Not like someone is walking around, hitting doorknobs and looking for an unlocked house. The worst case scenerio is my roommate getting mad - but I will probably get back home before she does and even if not I can just say I'm sorry". I do check things sometimes but when I do once is usually enough.

As for "Nice OCD" - check obsessive–compulsive personality disorder. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive–compulsive_personality_disorder#Obsessive.E2.80.93compulsive_disorder

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 10:49 am

I don't have OCD. But, I am fairly confident that I would have been diagnosed with Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder <click>, had I not been diagnosed with Asperger's.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 10:49 am

Broken Sun Beam wrote:
I don't have OCD but I learned about OCD when I was reading up on Autism. OCD sounds more like a disordered "coping" mechanism. For instance if there's a bad memory you don't want to remember that's associated with shame, embarrassment, sadness, hurt, anger the list goes on that you begin to do the "thing" or "things" that your OCD makes you do to distract your mind from thinking of it. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. This may only represent a few of the OCD community.

Aspergers or autism seems to have a lot of symptoms that are associated with coping with every day struggles and sensory overload or lack there of. So my theory is that OCD is one way our bodies or brains decide to cope. For mine it was my verbal tics.

This rings very true to me- the idea that an anxiety-related disorder can arise as a flawed coping mechanism. Pretty certain that's where a lot of my GAD and social phobia came from. I'm not diagnosed with OCD, but you can see it from here on a clear day: things like checking I've locked the door when I can actually remember doing it, and the fact that I no longer cook with meat because I get so busy trying to avoid contamination that the food ends up burnt in the meantime.

One reason it took me so long to get diagnosed with autism is that I associated the condition strongly with people who are precise and orderly. I'm not at all like that, so assumed I couldn't possibly have Asperger's. Reading up on it, I ran across the idea that this need for order is in fact a coping strategy some people use, not a symptom.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:26 am

Rocket123 wrote:
I don't have OCD. But, I am fairly confident that I would have been diagnosed with Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder <click>, had I not been diagnosed with Asperger's.

I have been looking at OCPD myself recently and some of it rings true with me , I have done 2 online tests , one said I didn't have it , the other said I was at high risk. :roll: Out of the 8 things listed on that link I can fit myself into 6 of those in certain aspects of my life but not for every aspect , and 5 really stick out but I only apply it to myself no one else.

Is excessively devoted to work and productivity to the exclusion of leisure activities and friendships (not accounted for by obvious economic necessity) - used to be a workaholic but work usually consumes me

Is overconscientious, scrupulous, and inflexible about matters of morality, ethics, or values (not accounted for by cultural or religious identification) - I'm only inflexible about my own morals no one elses unless it's seriously bad

Is unable to discard worn-out or worthless objects even when they have no sentimental value - Used to be a bad hoarder

Adopts a miserly spending style toward both self and others; money is viewed as something to be hoarded for future catastrophes. I am frugal regarding myself but not others

Shows significant rigidity and stubbornness - I'm a stubborn git

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 12:36 pm

I have no diagnosis of OCD, at least. I do have some traits that might qualify, but they're not really that bad. I think I probably have borderline OCD - some traits, but not enough to qualify for a diagnosis, or cause too much trouble on a regular basis. Of course, it's kind of hard to tell sometimes what's part of my autism and what's something else. I do have general and social anxiety, as well as depression. It's the depression that's really getting me recently.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 12:38 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
I have been looking at OCPD myself recently and some of it rings true with me

Let's see:

Is preoccupied with details, rules, lists, order, organization, or schedules to the extent that the major point of the activity is lost
Check

Shows perfectionism that interferes with task completion (e.g., is unable to complete a project because his or her own overly strict standards are not met)
Check

Is excessively devoted to work and productivity to the exclusion of leisure activities and friendships (not accounted for by obvious economic necessity)
Check

Is overconscientious, scrupulous, and inflexible about matters of morality, ethics, or values (not accounted for by cultural or religious identification)
Check

Is unable to discard worn-out or worthless objects even when they have no sentimental value
Nope

Is reluctant to delegate tasks or to work with others unless they submit to exactly his or her way of doing things
Check

Adopts a miserly spending style toward both self and others; money is viewed as something to be hoarded for future catastrophes
Check

Shows significant rigidity and stubbornness
Check

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2017, 2:04 pm

I have also seen the diagnosis of OPCD increasingly pushed, but really, are AS, OCD, OPCD & GAD different things? Are we all not dancing on the head of a pin, here? I remember when getting CBT for GAD (which I did not then know I had) being told by the Therapist that she could not help me with Aspergers' and wondering how you can separate them? I don't believe you can. The one causes the other. It's like trying to treat the Flu, without treating the fever. Clinicians love this type of distinction, but, in reality, is this not all one meta-illness, with some people getting some symptoms and others different ones? AS for some people will just be social anxiety (it's a BIG just), for others, that anxiety will mutate into obsessional thought disorders, but the cause is the same.
It's like the now defunct diagnosis of High-Functioning Autism and Aspergers'. How can they be separated? It's almost impossible. We are all autistic on here, it's just a matter of degree. I am allegedly high-functioning, but it sure as hell does not feel like that some days! Some days, when I had suicidal ideation, it felt that I could not less high-functioning. We get too hung up on these diagnoses. Thoughts anyone?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 2:38 pm

nephets wrote:
I have also seen the diagnosis of OPCD increasingly pushed, but really, are AS, OCD, OPCD & GAD different things? Are we all not dancing on the head of a pin, here? I remember when getting CBT for GAD (which I did not then know I had) being told by the Therapist that she could not help me with Aspergers' and wondering how you can separate them? I don't believe you can. The one causes the other. It's like trying to treat the Flu, without treating the fever. Clinicians love this type of distinction, but, in reality, is this not all one meta-illness, with some people getting some symptoms and others different ones? AS for some people will just be social anxiety (it's a BIG just), for others, that anxiety will mutate into obsessional thought disorders, but the cause is the same.
It's like the now defunct diagnosis of High-Functioning Autism and Aspergers'. How can they be separated? It's almost impossible. We are all autistic on here, it's just a matter of degree. I am allegedly high-functioning, but it sure as hell does not feel like that some days! Some days, when I had suicidal ideation, it felt that I could not less high-functioning. We get too hung up on these diagnoses. Thoughts anyone?

I can vouch that they are completely different disorders, but you do have a point there. We get too hung up on labels instead of trying to solve the problems the name creates. However, if we were to lump them all together, then nobody would feel accepted or part of a community anymore. We would all just be together, not having any labels or symptoms to differentiate us. It would cause massive confusion. I see your point, but I don't think that it would work.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 3:45 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
I have been looking at OCPD myself recently and some of it rings true with me

Let's see:

Is unable to discard worn-out or worthless objects even when they have no sentimental value
Nope

Wow! traits do seem similar. Does nope mean you can throw things away or nope you don't do it.

I throw away crisp/chips packets but a broken phone or electrical item needs to stay in case I get the inclination to fix it.
My GF just said I'm full of it and find it difficult to throw away damaged clothes - I sadly had to lose a pair of trousers this week because I would of been arrested if I had worn them in the street :oops: , I was genuinely a little emotional to see them go as I loved them but I wouldn't spend £40 on buying a new pair - I'll go without but I'd quite happily buy her trousers for £40.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:00 pm

I've read the rate of comorbid OCPD and ASD is higher than 40% 8O . That's quite a lot, if you ask me.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2017, 5:21 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I've read the rate of comorbid OCPD and ASD is higher than 40% 8O . That's quite a lot, if you ask me.

Yes, pretty much my point. I think the AS is causing the other conditions. The idea of a flawed coping mechanism put forward by PhosphorusDecree above makes sense. I find my absent mindedness (very bad short-term memory from AS, e.g, 'did I really turn the cooker off?') about pretty much everything mundane encouraged me to develop obsessional checking routines, but then you can start checking everything and it becomes irrational.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 5:55 pm

nephets wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Yes, pretty much my point. I think the AS is causing the other conditions. The idea of a flawed coping mechanism put forward by PhosphorusDecree above makes sense. I find my absent mindedness (very bad short-term memory from AS, e.g, 'did I really turn the cooker off?') about pretty much everything mundane encouraged me to develop obsessional checking routines, but then you can start checking everything and it becomes irrational.

Yeah, that makes sense. Or OCPD symptoms are also like traits of ASD so it could end up being misdiagnosed as OCPD when it's really just AS. :D

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 5:57 pm

...:-(

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 7:05 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...:-(

What's the matter, ASS-P? :(

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2017, 1:49 pm

To reply to the original posters question, no I don't have OCD. I don't even have any tendencies towards it as far as I can tell.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 1:53 pm

Lucky :D !^^^^^