Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 10:13 am

Because I certainly do, for instance:

I really want to see them live because they're touring, but it would seem they won't be coming anywhere near where I live this time around. But they only have two albums out so I am sure they'll be releasing more albums and doing more tours. I also like Rhapsody of Fire/Rhapsody, Battle Beast, Sabaton and Wintersun and recently Dragonforce(though in the past based on one song of theirs that was rather popular I though they just play power metal really fast but didn't have much substance aside from that, well I was wrong). There are others to but those are the main ones I can think of.

Lol and the more ridiculous a music video is the better, I think.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 11:47 pm

I am sorely disappointed at you all...

The Cat Ghost
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2017, 9:12 am

Does this count?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 6:00 pm

Well I do love Amon Amarth, though they aren't exactly power metal.

The Cat Ghost

15 Aug 2017, 8:54 pm

Fair enough. Aren't they Viking Metal? I love metal but it's so hard to keep all its sub-genres straight. Anyways, not to derail the thread, but do you like Unleash the Archers?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 11:21 am

The Cat Ghost wrote:
Fair enough. Aren't they Viking Metal? I love metal but it's so hard to keep all its sub-genres straight. Anyways, not to derail the thread, but do you like Unleash the Archers?

Theme wise they are certainly Viking metal, but musically they seem more like melodic death metal whereas most viking metal bands I've heard are more viking themed folk metal.

And I like Unleash the Arches now, never listened to them before I don't think...pretty awesome though. I like the mad max themed video. Also speaking of female vocalists this band is also pretty good.

I like to hear female metal vocals...like this, I am not much of a fan of the high pitched opera sounding backing female vocals some bands have.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 2:23 am

I used to be obsessed with Dragonforce, but don't like their newer stuff as much, after they changed vocalists. Hearing "Through the Fire and Flames" on Guitar Hero 3 is actually what got me interested in metal at all.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 12:16 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I used to be obsessed with Dragonforce, but don't like their newer stuff as much, after they changed vocalists. Hearing "Through the Fire and Flames" on Guitar Hero 3 is actually what got me interested in metal at all.

Ah that explains it, I was listening to some of their new stuff the other day...and something did certainly sound different as opposed to older songs. Also I think that may have been the song I got burnt out on by hearing it so many times which I think was why I didn't end up being too interested, I did listen to it recently and enjoyed it though.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 3:44 pm

I prefer dark, gritty sounding metal so power metal has no real appeal to me. The closest I get is Bolt Thrower, and they're not power metal at all. :twisted:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 3:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

Ah that explains it, I was listening to some of their new stuff the other day...and something did certainly sound different as opposed to older songs. Also I think that may have been the song I got burnt out on by hearing it so many times which I think was why I didn't end up being too interested, I did listen to it recently and enjoyed it though.

Yeah, and they kind of changed their style for "Maximum Overload," and I didn't care for it. "The Power Within" is where they changed vocalists. I'm not sure I've ever heard a song by them without going looking for it that wasn't "Through the Fire and Flames." That's probably the one you heard way too much. I totally understand that, too - the reason I hate most pop music is because at college and work (in a retail store), that was pretty much all I heard, so I got sick of it.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 5:42 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I prefer dark, gritty sounding metal so power metal has no real appeal to me. The closest I get is Bolt Thrower, and they're not power metal at all. :twisted:

I like that sort of metal as well, there are things I enjoy about all the types.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 12:21 am

I used to listen to Blind Guardian's Imaginations From The Other Side. For a power metal album, it's pretty damn intense. Hansi Kürsch has a powerful snarl and the riffing is very jagged. Unfortunately, I lost interest in it due to the depression I suffer from kicking in and I can't really listen to it without being dragged back into 2005, a year I thought was going to be a monumental year for me but ended smashing apart on the ground.

A lot of my favorite metal bands aren't "metal enough" for some metal heads. KMFDM don't have enough riffs for the metal crowd (Encyclopedia Metallum rejects them) but what they do have still hits pretty hard. Napalm Death are too punk for some metal heads and too metal for some punks. Fear Factory have almost no middle ground.

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

20 Aug 2017, 6:45 pm

My favorite Power Metal band is Lost Horizon from Germany. Not sure if you would call them "ridiculous" or not. But they all have playing chops to spare!! !!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 12:50 am

SharkSandwich211 wrote:
My favorite Power Metal band is Lost Horizon from Germany. Not sure if you would call them "ridiculous" or not. But they all have playing chops to spare!! ! !

I have heard some of their songs on spotify and they seem pretty good.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2017, 11:28 am

I'm not sure that I'd call them ridiculous but I do like bands such as Iced Earth, Gamma Ray, Helloween and Blind Guardian. I also like bands that aren't strictly power metal but certainly have elements of it in their sound like Children of Bodom and Symphony X. Hell, I even like some early Manowear (I guess they could be called ridiculous or at least their outfits back then were!).

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 11:31 am

It's a fine line between epic sillyness and epic epicness.