Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 1:13 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
guitarman2010 wrote:
I play all kinds of games on DOSBox like Doom and Warcraft

You know you would get a much better experience playing Doom with something like GZDoom? Also, Warcraft 2's battle.net version works in Windows. Unless you're talking about Warcraft 1, which to my knowledge only runs in DOS. I could never get into that game; selecting only four units at a time made everything such a micromanagement chore.

You'd really hate Dune II then. :P You can only select one unit at a time, though thankfully you can use hotkeys. For it being one of the very first RTS games however, I'd say it's held up quite well.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 8:33 pm

Nah, I play them on a real Windows 98 machine.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 6:59 am

I have used it to play Doom 2, particularly the custom levels I created. I still can't believe how talented I was in my teenage years: I made some incredible levels solely by throwing paint at the wall and seeing what stuck.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 9:07 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
You'd really hate Dune II then. :P You can only select one unit at a time, though thankfully you can use hotkeys. For it being one of the very first RTS games however, I'd say it's held up quite well.

I was watching a video review of the remastered version of Starcraft recently and thought it was cute to hear a reviewer complain about only being able to select 12 units.

JoeyC1980
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Aug 2017, 2:01 pm

Some of the older games I've bought on Steam and GOG, like Wolfenstein 3D and Duke Nukem, run in DOSBox. I also use DOSBox for a few other DOS games that I didn't get through either of those stores. The nice thing about getting the games through Steam or GOG is that it automatically installs and sets it up for you. Though on occasion, I have managed to break the DOSBox configuration for Steam and GOG games.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 12:23 pm

I've been reading up a lot recently on DOS-Box and other emulators. I've been on the fence of getting a Retropie and a recent trip to a convention piqued my interest. I'm still trying to figure out how much of a learning curve I would be facing in regards to loading ROMs, especially on a 5-year old MacBook Air.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 3:57 pm

Today I just created a .bat menu for DOSBox! :D I am so proud! Now I don't have to mount the games at all! (Sorry that the images are kinda small.)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 7:31 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
Today I just created a .bat menu for DOSBox! :D I am so proud! Now I don't have to mount the games at all! (Sorry that the images are kinda small.)

What are these, screenshots for ants? :P In all seriousness though, what caused them to come out so small? ^^;

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 9:34 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:

What are these, screenshots for ants? :P In all seriousness though, what caused them to come out so small? ^^;

Here is what the text displays on the screen:

Menu:

====================
DOSBox Menu
====================

Page 1/1

1. Wolfenstein 3D
2. Wasteland
3. Zork
4. Zork II
5. Zork III
6. Exit

Menu (Continued) (When You Press 6)

====================
DOSBox Menu
====================
1. Exit to Windows
2. Back to Menu

And here is what the terminal command line says on each part of them:

Terminal Command Line I (Menu): Choose One [1,2,3,4,5,6]?
Terminal Command Line II (Menu Continued): Choose One [1,2]?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 8:21 am

I need to make a BAT like that for my DS, it's a little cumbersome trying to type accurately on such a tiny touch-screen keyboard. ( this program, BTW: http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/ )

I tried a few Norton Commander style programs, but they weren't working right.

daddydilbert
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2017, 7:46 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Occasionally. I used to play DOS games a lot more often, but lately I've been too lazy to set any up. The last ones I played were Blood and Syndicate. 8)

Truth be told, I don't like how stagnant DosBox's development has become. It's been seven years and it's still on version 0.74, albeit with some SVN releases. Unfortunately, it's poorly optimized for 64-bit, so games like Carmageddon are out of the question unless I can somehow compile a 32-bit build on my system. PCem seems like an intriguing alternative, but it's also much more demanding. That said, I find it's better for running Windows 95.

Say, does anyone know how to compile 32-bit DosBox on a 64-bit Arch Linux system? I would be eternally grateful if someone could teach me how. DosBox doesn't really need 64-bit since it doesn't need to access more than 2GB of memory. Heck, I'd be surprised if it needed to access anything near that.

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Every now and then it's fun for me to load up some Master of Orion 2 or Tyrian. Master of Orion 2 less so these days; it's dated now in many respects. But I think Tyrian remains one of the best vertical shmups I've played. Great visuals and soundtrack, lengthy story mode, multiple (6!) difficulties, TONS of replayability and a decent story. I may be mistaken but as far as I'm aware there's no other game quite like it, even today.

I agree, Tyrian's really fun. I haven't loaded that one up in a long time.

./autogen.sh
export CFLAGS=-m32
export CXXFLAGS=-m32
export LDFLAGS=-m32
./configure
make

Make sure you enable multilib and download the 32-bit versions of required libraries.

I also lurk VOGONS and your avatar seems familiar. I'm not sure if it's just a common avatar though.

daddydilbert
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2017, 9:11 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
I have used it to play Doom 2, particularly the custom levels I created. I still can't believe how talented I was in my teenage years: I made some incredible levels solely by throwing paint at the wall and seeing what stuck.

If you haven't uploaded those levels yet, I bet the Doomworld guys would love to see them!

I wouldn't mind checking them out either.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 6:38 am

daddydilbert wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Occasionally. I used to play DOS games a lot more often, but lately I've been too lazy to set any up. The last ones I played were Blood and Syndicate. 8)

Truth be told, I don't like how stagnant DosBox's development has become. It's been seven years and it's still on version 0.74, albeit with some SVN releases. Unfortunately, it's poorly optimized for 64-bit, so games like Carmageddon are out of the question unless I can somehow compile a 32-bit build on my system. PCem seems like an intriguing alternative, but it's also much more demanding. That said, I find it's better for running Windows 95.

Say, does anyone know how to compile 32-bit DosBox on a 64-bit Arch Linux system? I would be eternally grateful if someone could teach me how. DosBox doesn't really need 64-bit since it doesn't need to access more than 2GB of memory. Heck, I'd be surprised if it needed to access anything near that.

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Every now and then it's fun for me to load up some Master of Orion 2 or Tyrian. Master of Orion 2 less so these days; it's dated now in many respects. But I think Tyrian remains one of the best vertical shmups I've played. Great visuals and soundtrack, lengthy story mode, multiple (6!) difficulties, TONS of replayability and a decent story. I may be mistaken but as far as I'm aware there's no other game quite like it, even today.

./autogen.sh
export CFLAGS=-m32
export CXXFLAGS=-m32
export LDFLAGS=-m32
./configure
make

Make sure you enable multilib and download the 32-bit versions of required libraries.

I also lurk VOGONS and your avatar seems familiar. I'm not sure if it's just a common avatar though.

What if I want to integrate it with my system's packages? In the past I would've used ABS, but this is deprecated now. How do I build it in such a way that it shows up as a package that I can easily uninstall or update if I need to? Would I need to use a version from the AUR? If so, how would I get it to set those flags just for that package and not for my other packages?

As for my avatar, I got it from the avatars section on the VGCats website. I've been using it for years as sort of a personal trademark, and because it's a tribute to some of my favorite things. :D

daddydilbert
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Aug 2017, 8:23 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
daddydilbert wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:

./autogen.sh
export CFLAGS=-m32
export CXXFLAGS=-m32
export LDFLAGS=-m32
./configure
make

What if I want to integrate it with my system's packages? In the past I would've used ABS, but this is deprecated now. How do I build it in such a way that it shows up as a package that I can easily uninstall or update if I need to? Would I need to use a version from the AUR? If so, how would I get it to set those flags just for that package and not for my other packages?

As for my avatar, I got it from the avatars section on the VGCats website. I've been using it for years as sort of a personal trademark, and because it's a tribute to some of my favorite things. :D

Good question. The dosbox-multilib-patched AUR repository seems to have what you need.

Just install from the AUR manually or use a helper such as pacaur and yaourt.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

EvaDoomGal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Aug 2017, 12:55 pm

I use DosBox frequently to play some good old DOS pc games including:

1. Doom
2. Doom II
3. Skunny Kart
4. Rampage
5.Chex Quest 1 and 2
6.Elder Scrolls Arena
7. Daggerfall

Any of you guys play these games?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 6:55 am

I'm surprised so many people use DOSBox to play DOOM, rather than using a source port. I have a hard time just going back to 320x200 for FPS.