Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

EvaDoomGal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2017, 11:49 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I'm surprised so many people use DOSBox to play DOOM, rather than using a source port. I have a hard time just going back to 320x200 for FPS.

Reallly? I think playing Doom on DosBox makes for a very legit 1993 experience! I like the process of having to input command codes on DosBox, does anyone else like that kind of retro experience?

And plus my computer is an old Dell OptiPlex that can only run Quake 3 Arena and other games like it smoothly. :roll: I am currently trying to pool money to build myself at least a $200 - $300 gaming PC.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 7:25 am

EvaDoomGal wrote:
Reallly? I think playing Doom on DosBox makes for a very legit 1993 experience!

I suppose. I didn't get to play DOOM until around 97-98, and we had Windows 95, so we always ran it straight that way.

I just prefer something like zDOOM, with most of the extras disabled, and the resolution cranked up. Especially for multiplayer (though I would really like to try one of the client/server versions).

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 10:46 am

It's pretty nice to play Doom with WASD + mouselook with high resolution. But I'm not so much of a purist, if I'm going back to playing Doom it's Brutal Doom for me.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 12:31 pm

Instead of using DosBox, lately I've been playing around with PCem. It's a much more comprehensive emulator that allows you to define a CPU and a motherboard, and it uses actual BIOSes for the motherboard and video card. It runs Windows 95 extremely well, but it's also quite heavy on system resources. DosBox is definitely faster for more demanding games, but PCem is simply more accurate, and it's much more like using an actual vintage PC. Of course, this means you have to install an operating system on it, unlike DosBox.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 7:38 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
It runs Windows 95 extremely well, but it's also quite heavy on system resources.

Yeah, I wanted to try that one, but there was no way it was going to run on my laptop, and I didn't have my desktop hooked up at the time.