Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 2:55 pm

Does anybody here play games on DOSBox like Zork or Wolfenstein 3D?

Thanks!

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on August 12, 2017)

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 2:27 am

I play games in DOSBox, although it has a real "sweet spot" to it: games that are too old or too new tend to run better on a real DOS machine.

...and those are usually the games that I'm in the mood for =|

Microsoft Virtual PC works fairly well for newer DOS games, too. Takes a little bit more setup to get it working, since you need to install actual OS + drivers in it, but it's a lot faster for those mid-to-late-90s games.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 5:14 am

Every now and then it's fun for me to load up some Master of Orion 2 or Tyrian. Master of Orion 2 less so these days; it's dated now in many respects. But I think Tyrian remains one of the best vertical shmups I've played. Great visuals and soundtrack, lengthy story mode, multiple (6!) difficulties, TONS of replayability and a decent story. I may be mistaken but as far as I'm aware there's no other game quite like it, even today.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 1:37 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I play games in DOSBox, although it has a real "sweet spot" to it: games that are too old or too new tend to run better on a real DOS machine.

...and those are usually the games that I'm in the mood for =|

Microsoft Virtual PC works fairly well for newer DOS games, too. Takes a little bit more setup to get it working, since you need to install actual OS + drivers in it, but it's a lot faster for those mid-to-late-90s games.

I had to do this too for games that don't run in DOS. I just made my own virtual windows 98 machine and can now get that genre to play :)

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 6:34 pm

I play all kinds of games on DOSBox like Doom and Warcraft

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 12:03 am

Occasionally. I used to play DOS games a lot more often, but lately I've been too lazy to set any up. The last ones I played were Blood and Syndicate. 8)

Truth be told, I don't like how stagnant DosBox's development has become. It's been seven years and it's still on version 0.74, albeit with some SVN releases. Unfortunately, it's poorly optimized for 64-bit, so games like Carmageddon are out of the question unless I can somehow compile a 32-bit build on my system. PCem seems like an intriguing alternative, but it's also much more demanding. That said, I find it's better for running Windows 95.

Say, does anyone know how to compile 32-bit DosBox on a 64-bit Arch Linux system? I would be eternally grateful if someone could teach me how. DosBox doesn't really need 64-bit since it doesn't need to access more than 2GB of memory. Heck, I'd be surprised if it needed to access anything near that.

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Every now and then it's fun for me to load up some Master of Orion 2 or Tyrian. Master of Orion 2 less so these days; it's dated now in many respects. But I think Tyrian remains one of the best vertical shmups I've played. Great visuals and soundtrack, lengthy story mode, multiple (6!) difficulties, TONS of replayability and a decent story. I may be mistaken but as far as I'm aware there's no other game quite like it, even today.

I agree, Tyrian's really fun. I haven't loaded that one up in a long time.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 7:57 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Occasionally.

lol. Of course you would post in this thread, I see you over at Vogons all the time.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Unfortunately, it's poorly optimized for 64-bit, so games like Carmageddon are out of the question unless I can somehow compile a 32-bit build on my system.

This probably won't help you at all, since it's still 32-bit, but there's a Windows version of Carmageddon. I get a way better framerate (plus you can still modify the config files to get larger draw distance), and it supports USB controllers.

If you got the game from GoG, they have a patch on their support forums somewhere. I think it's called "experimental" or "unsupported" or something like that.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 7:42 pm

i was reliving my wonder years and played HeroQuest on it recently! :D

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 8:54 pm

I played Heretic on DOSBox and it ran very well indeed in full screen. Since I discovered ZDoom however, it's become pretty irrelevant for that game. I've played Quake on a sort of pre-packaged DOSBox setup also.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 8:58 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Occasionally.

lol. Of course you would post in this thread, I see you over at Vogons all the time.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Unfortunately, it's poorly optimized for 64-bit, so games like Carmageddon are out of the question unless I can somehow compile a 32-bit build on my system.

This probably won't help you at all, since it's still 32-bit, but there's a Windows version of Carmageddon. I get a way better framerate (plus you can still modify the config files to get larger draw distance), and it supports USB controllers.

If you got the game from GoG, they have a patch on their support forums somewhere. I think it's called "experimental" or "unsupported" or something like that.

I didn't know you were a fellow VOGONS poster. :P I've been on there longer than I've been on here, or really most of the sites I use on a regular basis nowadays.

But yeah, I have the GoG version of Carmageddon, and I know about the Win95 patch. I used to play with it all the time. I wonder how well it works in WINE.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 8:07 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I didn't know you were a fellow VOGONS poster. :P I've been on there longer than I've been on here, or really most of the sites I use on a regular basis nowadays.

Maybe "all the time" was an overstatement, since I rarely visit the site. I've been there a couple years longer than here, but less than 100 posts. I'm actually kind of surprised that it's higher than five.

Been at AtariAge a long time too...my post count looks a lot lower than it should be, though. Maybe it got messed up during the forum upgrade?

I've seen a few people from here on other forums, and I suspect there are others who post here under a different screenname (like I do).

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Aug 2017, 2:23 pm

I really wanted to play fallout among others I just didn't have a clue how to get it up and running though, the command line. Couldn't do it.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 4:31 pm

Victor1985 wrote:
I really wanted to play fallout among others I just didn't have a clue how to get it up and running though, the command line. Couldn't do it.

There's only a few commands you really need to know, and you can save most of them in the config file (like your hard drive mounts). They should have a tutorial somewhere, I know Vogons has a section dedicated to particular troublesome games.

You'd be better off running the Windows version of Fallout, though. Fallout 2 doesn't even have a DOS version, IIRC.

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Aug 2017, 5:01 pm

I did manage to get the doom demo up and running once but it was only the freeware material. I didn't find the emulator as intuitive as the others on my phone. I might have another bash at it someday.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 7:09 pm

guitarman2010 wrote:
I play all kinds of games on DOSBox like Doom and Warcraft

You know you would get a much better experience playing Doom with something like GZDoom? Also, Warcraft 2's battle.net version works in Windows. Unless you're talking about Warcraft 1, which to my knowledge only runs in DOS. I could never get into that game; selecting only four units at a time made everything such a micromanagement chore.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 6:38 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Unless you're talking about Warcraft 1, which to my knowledge only runs in DOS. I could never get into that game; selecting only four units at a time made everything such a micromanagement chore.

Yeah, I don't think the first game was ever on Windows.

I'm the opposite: the first WarCraft was the only *Craft game, and one of the few RTS, I could really get into, I'm not sure why.