Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 5:12 pm

* SPOILER ALERT FOR 2ND EPISODE*

Is anyone watching this?

I am on the 2nd episode. I am not sure how accurate the show is at depicting an austistic teenager. I am moderately autistic.

Would an autistic person really break into the home of a therapist he has feelings for to give her a gift?

The stories with the other characters are just as good as with the autistic teenager. I will probably watch the whole season. Acting is very good. Writing could be better.

Last edited by KevinLA on 12 Aug 2017, 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Strangelittlegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2017, 8:44 pm

I'm moderately autistic too and I can relate to several things that the main character is going through. Without giving anything away, there's a scene later on where someone is touching everything in his room that was REALLY triggering for me. I don't know if someone autistic would break into someone else's house, however, I understand the logic. Therapist Julie told him a rule in her house, so he did something contrary so as not to break it. I've done things like that before and only later realized that it was probably not the best choice to make (usually when someone else points it out).

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2017, 7:46 pm

I'm lost.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 7:49 pm

soloha wrote:
I'm lost.

Atypical is the name of a show on Netflix that centers on an autistic teenager.

It is not bad. There are a lot of other story lines with the rest of family that keep it interesting.

The Cat Ghost
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2017, 1:56 pm

HisShadowX wrote:
Great show I hope they talk about the announce of autistic people all over when a self diagnosed person hyjacks an autism group and demands that the service or group pays full attention to them.

They can add into the plot line for comedic value what typically happens is those who try to get diangosised often get diangosised with something different but refuse to believe it so they keep calling themselves autistic until in perhaps they are committed to a mental hospital like what happened to someone at my group with refused to listen to the professionals because the online quiz and those egging him on to keep following his deillusion and he refused to take the pills for his actual mental disability and eventually the guy had a manic episode and attacked people.

The parents are afraid if he gets a hold of a computer when he gets out other self diangosisers will try to get him to stop taking his medicine again and he'll have another manic episode.

All self diangosised people should be banned from autism groups until they can prove their diangosis

Edit also I can't stop focus on Michael Rapports herpes on his lips

I think you might be confusing 'what typically happens' with 'what happened once'.

Regardless, your 'show me your papers' argument is ridiculous and I think you should perhaps reconsider everything you think you know about self-diagnosed autistics - among whom I am counted. Where I live there are no services for autistic adults and very little benefit in receiving an official diagnosis, not to mention the cost (mental health services here are regulated at $170 an hour).

I'm looking forward to watching this show quite a bit, I just found out about it this morning. I hope this thread doesn't get derailed too badly, as it really makes me happy that there is at least some media awareness of autism nowadays.

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

15 Aug 2017, 7:26 pm

Just heard about this show. I'll probably watch it, just so I can comment on its authenticity. I like that the kid's special interest is penguins/Antarctica. That's cool. At least they picked a somewhat unique special interest. Honestly, that's what's making me want to give the show a try. :lol:

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2017, 11:58 am

Ugh. Watched the first episode and thought it was a train wreck. Then again, I like train wrecks, so I may keep watching.

Why does Hollywood think that all autistics are STEM savants? Oh, and the redhead college girl taking him back to her dorm for sex on the first date...yeah, that wouldn't happen. Most likely, he'd get fired from the job for hitting on a customer.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 6:25 pm

I have watched 7 of the first 8 episodes. The story lines for all the characters are good and I do enjoy watching it.

However I don't think they have the autistic teenager's personality right. He is way too aggressive socially. Then again if they gave him realistic autistic traits he wouldn't say much and the show would be a bore.

There are quite a few good learning points for people with autism.

ilmreynir
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2017, 9:22 pm

There are quite a few stereotypes, and many of the situations are contrived, but I guess that's usually the case for comedies. Still, there are some times when I really relate to the protagonist, which is pretty cool, because I so rarely relate to anyone on TV or in movies. When he discusses the noise-cancelling properties of snow...that was a powerful moment for me. Seems like no one understands why I get so excited when it snows. I loved Antarctica as a special interest. My foremost special interest is Iceland, so that's a pretty similar vein. Overall, fairly enjoyable show.

torch_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2017, 7:32 am

I watched the entire series. It was an OK story line, but focused so much on autism and the character being nothing else but autistic. It also just presented one of those usual stereotypes that we literally don't know right from wrong, take things literally, don't know sarcasm, don't know boundaries and how to be appropriate etc. basically a very literal robot.

It'd be nice to see a character for once who is autistic but they're just like people like me. I "function" as an autistic. I know boundaries. I know sarcasm sometimes. I'm not completely oblivious.

Please, media, please stop writing stereotypes like this ;-;

SaxNerd
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2017, 10:58 pm

I found out about the show from this thread and was curious, so now I'm two episodes in, and intend to watch the entire series.

Straight away I really appreciated that his special interest is Antarctica/penguins, and that they've broken that stereotype that all Austistics are math prodigies. I also like that the show's focus is on a teenager who wants to start dating and transition into adulthood, rather than a child, as that's been done before and I'm yet to see an attempt that isn't highly stereotypical and frankly offensive (eg. the Black Balloon).

I agree the scene where he breaks into his therapist's house was pushing it, but there were a lot of things in the show that I could definitely relate to. I found it hilarious how he has one friend who isn't much better than he is, because I'm in that same situation. I also appreciate the perspective into his parent's lives, how it's been a real struggle for his Dad to form a real connection with him.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2017, 12:14 am

I was hoping there would be a thread on this show. I binge watched the whole season last evening.

I was a little off put by the whole "practice girlfriend" angle. Hope this is not a spoiler but during the season he deicedes he needs to date girls first before the one he really wants. It kind of fed into the stereotype of autistic people not caring for me. Like I am just going to use you until I get what I really want.

I was also annoyed by the mother. I really don't like those type of parents who make their whole identity that they have an autistic child so they battle the world over perceived injustice. They end up doing more harm then good trying to change the whole world so feelings don't get hurt and no one gets left out. Like there is one scene where she and her support group get upset at the boy's father because he does not use "people first language". Like he's an autistic boy not a boy with autism. It is just silly and insulting.

I know it comes from a place of love and we probably have parents who post here who have that love too. But I have dealt with those sort of people in real life. So that's probably why I feel a personal connection to it.

SaxNerd
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2017, 12:46 am

Mr_Miner wrote:

I was also annoyed by the mother. I really don't like those type of parents who make their whole identity that they have an autistic child so they battle the world over perceived injustice. They end up doing more harm then good trying to change the whole world so feelings don't get hurt and no one gets left out. Like there is one scene where she and her support group get upset at the boy's father because he does not use "people first language". Like he's an autistic boy not a boy with autism. It is just silly and insulting.

I get what you mean about the mother, but unfortunately reality is that there are mothers like that, with regards to a whole variety of conditions, not just Autism, and I actually thought that was one aspect that made the show more realistic.

My Mum also gets really annoyed if someone (even me...) says 'autistic' instead of 'person with autism', I honestly don't understand what difference it makes, they said it on the news the other day and she was going on about it for hours, I was trying to debate the point, saying that the majority of us wouldn't even notice the difference, but there was no reasoning with her.

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2017, 8:43 pm

I just finished watching all the episodes. Ironically, I think the show is really good in all ways EXCEPT the main ASD storyline. Sam is just too stereotypical and unbelievable. I don't relate to him at all. I actually relate more to Paige! She is geeky and gets all excited and gushes and rambles about things. I really liked the other storylines. They were very interesting and had good plot twists. I really liked the plots with Julia's personal life (don't want to give spoilers away). I also really like Casey and Evan's relationship. And Zahid (spelling?) is probably my favorite character. He's hilarious! :lol:

The only thing interesting about Sam is that his special interest in penguins/Antarctica is kind of unique. I like how his bedroom set has all kinds of penguin stuff, and I loved how he got Paige that penguin necklace! But his portrayal of being on the spectrum just seems forced, and there are many unrealistic things. Like, he can hold down an after-school job but he can't be trusted to keep his lunch money himself?

I believe that, if a condition/disorder is portrayed well by an actor, all people with that condition/disorder will be able to relate to the character, even if they have a different form of the condition/disorder. For example, Leonardo DiCaprio's portrayal of OCD in The Aviator was masterful, and even though I don't have contamination OCD like Howard Hughes did (I'm a pure obsessional), Leo's performance went beyond that into the underlying issues that all people with OCD face. Now, my Asperger's doesn't take the stereotypical form (my social deficits aren't horrible, as I can pass for "quirky but normal", and my severe symptoms come in the form of hatred of change, special interest intensity, and sensory issues), but if Sam were an accurate portrayal of ASD, I would be able to relate to him overall. And I don't. The only thing that he has done that reminded me of myself was him rambling about his special interest when his family didn't even pay attention.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 9:22 pm

Good ending to the season. I hope there is another season.

I am not sure there is a big enough target audience to have more seasons. The show is mostly about two teenagers. Neuroptypical teenagers won't be interested in a show about an autistic teen. Adults won't be interested a show mostly about teenagers.

I am not optimistic about a second season.

Stonetoad
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Aug 2017, 3:12 am

I loved it, great cast!