Canada vs. U.S.A. Which is better off right now?

Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 4:41 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
That said, which similarly developed nations have less stringent emigration prerequisites?

The USA, all you have to do is sneak across the border and hide long enough and people want to give you citizenship. I bet Canada just sends them home

Well, as of recent Canada's been quite welcoming to refugees fleeing America, but to be fair they were already refugees when they arrived in the US, so they're probably being viewed somewhere between undocumented migrants and refugees.

Canada wouldn’t let me go live there.
If you’re a us citizen Canada won’t let you live there unless your rich or offer a skill they need.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 8:35 pm

sly279 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
That said, which similarly developed nations have less stringent emigration prerequisites?

The USA, all you have to do is sneak across the border and hide long enough and people want to give you citizenship. I bet Canada just sends them home

Well, as of recent Canada's been quite welcoming to refugees fleeing America, but to be fair they were already refugees when they arrived in the US, so they're probably being viewed somewhere between undocumented migrants and refugees.

If you’re a us citizen Canada won’t let you live there unless your rich or offer a skill they need.

There is another way, but you'll need to find another Canadian to marry cuz I'm spoken for. :heart:

It is fair to point out that Canada's immigration policies tend to be focused on skills and what one can bring to the country if they don't qualify for refugee status.

I'm genuinely interested in how Canada would respond to a (hypothetical) refugee crisis on our border. Would we welcome Americans fleeing? Would we welcome some but not others? Or would we turn them all away and demonstrate we never had any right to be smug towards the rest of the world?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 8:37 pm

MaxE wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Well recently Canada sort of got caught with their pants down when a group of Haitians who feared their immigration status in the US to be in jeopardy made a public spectacle of crossing illegally into Canada, and the authorities had to treat them with kid gloves given Mr. Trudeau's need to differentiate himself from Mr. Trump. As if giving them cots to sleep on in Montreal's Olympic Stadium is a good example of "kid gloves" treatment.

I'm not sure he was caught with his pants down, the government responded as they felt morally obliged to. Some of the right whined, but that's what the right does over anything the Liberals do.

That, and the mostly African refugees crossing in Manitoba are who I was alluding to.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 3:22 am

funeralxempire wrote:
sly279 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

There is another way, but you'll need to find another Canadian to marry cuz I'm spoken for. :heart:

It is fair to point out that Canada's immigration policies tend to be focused on skills and what one can bring to the country if they don't qualify for refugee status.

I'm genuinely interested in how Canada would respond to a (hypothetical) refugee crisis on our border. Would we welcome Americans fleeing? Would we welcome some but not others? Or would we turn them all away and demonstrate we never had any right to be smug towards the rest of the world?

She’d have to make enough to support me. Canada doesn’t want disabled people who’ll need government assistance to live. Years ago a Canadian lady contacted me on okcupid. But she’s physical disabled, due to back injury.

Canada secures it’s border with the USA way harder then the border USA shares with Mexico. Yiu all won’t even let us bring back more then one beanie baby. And if one accidentally goes to the border with guns, it’s life in Canadian prison. Well guess that’s one way to immigrate to Canada.

Canada rejected Iraq war dodgers. S has d wager if there was say a civil war in the USA that caused a massive refugee crisis Canada would turn them away. I’ve heard the USA called Canada’s Mexico.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 5:33 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I'm not sure he was caught with his pants down, the government responded as they felt morally obliged to. Some of the right whined, but that's what the right does over anything the Liberals do.

That, and the mostly African refugees crossing in Manitoba are who I was alluding to.
Not sure what the government might consider "morally obliged" to do, but I suspect they'd have done differently absent the international spotlight and had somebody else been US president.

So these people entered from the US but are actually Haitian. I really wonder what official policy would be? Send them back across the border whence they came, or put them on a plane bound for Haiti? Either way I don't know whether they'd be allowed out of custody.

This also brings the situation in Haiti into focus. Almost 8 years after the earthquake, it is still better to be sleeping on a cot in Montreal, totally dependent on what the authorities can provide, than to return to one's home town in Haiti. Who's fault is that? (I honestly don't have an answer). I wonder how they'll feel come Winter. Montreal is probably the coldest major city in Canada (perhaps Winnipeg is colder, I don't know). When that time comes, they may want to reconsider taking their chances in Haiti. Maybe they could do some good there, at least they should have learned some English.

(edit) I just checked, Quebec City is one of Canada's 10 largest cities, it's bigger than Hamilton, so it's a major city. And colder than just about anywhere. Sorry, Montreal!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 3:07 am

sly279 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
sly279 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

She’d have to make enough to support me. Canada doesn’t want disabled people who’ll need government assistance to live. Years ago a Canadian lady contacted me on okcupid. But she’s physical disabled, due to back injury.

Canada secures it’s border with the USA way harder then the border USA shares with Mexico. Yiu all won’t even let us bring back more then one beanie baby. And if one accidentally goes to the border with guns, it’s life in Canadian prison. Well guess that’s one way to immigrate to Canada.

Canada rejected Iraq war dodgers. S has d wager if there was say a civil war in the USA that caused a massive refugee crisis Canada would turn them away. I’ve heard the USA called Canada’s Mexico.

I'm not sure how exactly one accidentally enters another country with guns. Also, considering hunting tourism is part of our economy, it seems unlikely it's impossible to bring them in, but it would make sense you're obliged to declare them - much like Canadians entering the US with firearms would be required to do.

Canadians might like to imagine the US as 'our Mexico', but I'm not sure a country that mostly defines itself by being 'not American' can be trusted in that regard.

I'd sincerely imagine we'd accept Americans fleeing, although if they used our territory to plan or participate in further fighting I could see public opinion switching. The opposition at the time of the Iraq war supported it, most Canadians opposed it, but regardless of how we felt about the war, no one wanted to risk a diplomatic incident over accepting volunteer soldiers fleeing their duty - it wasn't like Vietnam where people were dodging conscription, no one coerced them into joining. I personally was in favour of accepting them, but most Canadians disagreed.

MaxE wrote:
This also brings the situation in Haiti into focus. Almost 8 years after the earthquake, it is still better to be sleeping on a cot in Montreal, totally dependent on what the authorities can provide, than to return to one's home town in Haiti. Who's fault is that? (I honestly don't have an answer). I wonder how they'll feel come Winter. Montreal is probably the coldest major city in Canada (perhaps Winnipeg is colder, I don't know). When that time comes, they may want to reconsider taking their chances in Haiti. Maybe they could do some good there, at least they should have learned some English.

(edit) I just checked, Quebec City is one of Canada's 10 largest cities, it's bigger than Hamilton, so it's a major city. And colder than just about anywhere. Sorry, Montreal!

I believe France demanding to be repaid after the Haitians defeated them to gain the liberty and independence plays a significant role.

As for English, why bother if they're staying in Quebec? Winnipeg has a Francophone population too, a lot of Metis from the prairies speak French.

As for cold, if my gf who grew up in Florida can survive winter in New York or here, I'm sure Haitians will learn to cope with winter in Quebec City or Montreal. (But not Winnipeg, my cousin lived there for years, no one actually learns to deal with winter there, they merely survive it. :lol: )

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 5:17 am

funeralxempire wrote:
As for English, why bother if they're staying in Quebec? Winnipeg has a Francophone population too, a lot of Metis from the prairies speak French.
I think they're a long way from being established as residents of Montreal, anyway my point was that after 8 years in the US, their English should be pretty good, which would benefit them anywhere in the world, including Haiti for that matter. Even in Montreal, having a good grasp of English doesn't hurt (BTW I am somewhat familiar with Montreal, having (Anglophone) family there).

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2017, 10:54 pm

USA is much wealthier than Canada and more welcoming to less skilled immigrants.

Canada is not the country that it pretends to be. Not even in the slightest bit. Immigrants are carefully selected based on their skill and health and when they get here many are relegated to low wage positions and can not make ends meet. This is not the case for everyone but many do suffer.

Canada actually has less social programs than the USA. We have single payer healthcare but there is no dental, vision or prescription drug coverage or care included.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 12:52 pm

I don't know, but I've never been happier to be Canadian. I actually used to have great respect for the US, and its flag representing unity. In the past year, that has changed. I've come to accept that walrus down south as "the symptom and not the disease", but what's important is he's certainly not the solution. The more I've inquired about the political situation in the States the less sense it makes to me, but I guess it makes sense to Americans. What I'm seeing though is a country that is no longer united and so focused on identity politics that it's all anyone seems to talk about on either end of the political spectrum. We have Liberals and Conservatives up here, but they're strictly economic ideologies and free of petty BS.

We'll see how NAFTA talks go next year, but how well the current Canadian government does at bringing Canada's interests to the table and not caving under pressure will determine how I vote in the next election. I can say that they've performed adequately so far, hence why NAFTA talks have been stalled so far. Any Canadian with a working brain can see that this is an issue that transcends political alignment. Any American who criticizes us should know that Canada will or at least should bring its best interests to the table, and you would do the same in our shoes.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 10:57 pm

I'd say Canada. Justin Trudeau isn't an ideal leader, but at least he isn't a senile neofascist who throws fits like a toddler.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 5:03 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I'd say Canada. Justin Trudeau isn't an ideal leader, but at least he isn't a senile neofascist who throws fits like a toddler.
Not sure how a country can be validly judged on the basis of its political leader. Anyway, according to this graphic:

Alberta has 34 federal ridings of which exactly 4 are liberal, so I doubt many of your neighbors would agree with you.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 2:19 pm

MaxE wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Not sure how a country can be validly judged on the basis of its political leader. Anyway, according to this graphic:

Alberta has 34 federal ridings of which exactly 4 are liberal, so I doubt many of your neighbors would agree with you.

Well, the prairies are considered our South and Alberta's considered our Texas, and it clearly shows on the graph you provided. Liberals slightly edged out in BC, clinched half of the ridings in Manitoba, most of the ridings in Ontario and Quebec, and all of the risings in the smaller provinces and the territories. We're certainly a far more left-leaning country. I'd even say our Conservative Party isn't nearly as right-wing as the Republican Party, but Harper was definitely our Trump...if Trump was smart enough to pretend to be a good President for his first term before showing his true colours. Technically Harper didn't show his true colours until his third term, but the US system won't allow a third term, which I actually think is a good thing.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 2:42 am

I would pick the Netherlands, Ireland, or Brazil.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 3:52 am

Tross wrote:
MaxE wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Well, the prairies are considered our South and Alberta's considered our Texas, and it clearly shows on the graph you provided. Liberals slightly edged out in BC, clinched half of the ridings in Manitoba, most of the ridings in Ontario and Quebec, and all of the risings in the smaller provinces and the territories. We're certainly a far more left-leaning country. I'd even say our Conservative Party isn't nearly as right-wing as the Republican Party, but Harper was definitely our Trump...if Trump was smart enough to pretend to be a good President for his first term before showing his true colours. Technically Harper didn't show his true colours until his third term, but the US system won't allow a third term, which I actually think is a good thing.

I would more say that Harper was our Bush that our Trump: at least Harper can be seen as a mature person, not Trump.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 5:31 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Tross wrote:
MaxE wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I would more say that Harper was our Bush that our Trump: at least Harper can be seen as a mature person, not Trump.
True, but I wasn't going to go there, lol. I do agree though. Harper's environmental policies were not quite as bad as Trump's, but still pretty bad. However, I do believe Harper has a university degree. Hearing Trump talk...I'm not getting that vibe.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 6:41 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I would pick the Netherlands, Ireland, or Brazil.

Having talked with someone who lives in Brazil, I wouldn't pick Brazil. Seems like it'd be a neat place to visit, but apparently healthcare there is horrible.