Aspie fatally drops baby son, does not call police

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 9:53 pm

Cooper Johnson-Hicks death: Paramedics 'not called for hours'

Quote:
Emergency services were not called for more than three hours after a one-month-old baby was dropped by his father and suffered fatal head injuries, an inquest heard.

Cooper Johnson-Hicks died from the injuries sustained in St Blazey, Cornwall on 26 June 2016.

His father, Tristan Hicks, took his own life on 23 July 2016 after being questioned by police about the death.

Mr Hicks told Devon and Cornwall Police he was holding Cooper in the crook of his right arm while carrying a bottle of milk in his left hand, the inquest heard.

He said he tripped over a Moses basket that was on the floor of the living room.

"I wasn't holding him properly. I came rushing in, tripped over and he came flying out onto the floor," he told officers.

Cooper hit his head and was initially fine but "went all weird" two or three hours afterwards, the inquest heard Mr Hicks had told police.

When the coroner, Dr Emma Carlyon, asked why Mr Hicks, who had aspergers syndrome, failed to tell anyone, she said: "He was frightened. Frightened of police, social services."

The hearing heard how Cooper was under a child protection plan due to previous loud arguments that had been reported to police.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 1:52 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Quote:
Emergency services were not called for more than three hours after a one-month-old baby was dropped by his father and suffered fatal head injuries, an inquest heard.

Cooper Johnson-Hicks died from the injuries sustained in St Blazey, Cornwall on 26 June 2016.

His father, Tristan Hicks, took his own life on 23 July 2016 after being questioned by police about the death.

Mr Hicks told Devon and Cornwall Police he was holding Cooper in the crook of his right arm while carrying a bottle of milk in his left hand, the inquest heard.

He said he tripped over a Moses basket that was on the floor of the living room.

"I wasn't holding him properly. I came rushing in, tripped over and he came flying out onto the floor," he told officers.

Cooper hit his head and was initially fine but "went all weird" two or three hours afterwards, the inquest heard Mr Hicks had told police.

When the coroner, Dr Emma Carlyon, asked why Mr Hicks, who had aspergers syndrome, failed to tell anyone, she said: "He was frightened. Frightened of police, social services."

The hearing heard how Cooper was under a child protection plan due to previous loud arguments that had been reported to police.

If the man was under a "child protection plan due to previous loud arguments" I am skeptical he accidentally dropped the baby. The possibility that he lost his temper and acted in a way which resulted in the baby's injuries is non-zero. It's also highly suspect that he did not seek medical attention immediately.

Some people just should not be parents.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 1:17 pm

That's sad. Lot of parents fear social services and worry they will get accused whenever there is an accident but they still get their kid medical help risking it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:55 pm

Chronos wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Quote:

If the man was under a "child protection plan due to previous loud arguments" I am skeptical he accidentally dropped the baby. The possibility that he lost his temper and acted in a way which resulted in the baby's injuries is non-zero. It's also highly suspect that he did not seek medical attention immediately.

Some people just should not be parents.

I agree with you. I find it very ridiculous how he didn't get medical help right away. That's not normal.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine