StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 5:00 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Just try not to get arrested lol

I'm a fast runner with Ferret like abilities so it's not likely :lol:

Good :D . We need our Ferrapist and Ferret leader!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 5:01 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
will@rd wrote:
Broken Sun Beam wrote:
Thanks everyone for your responses. I've ultimately chosen not to pursue this unless a doctor recommends it. I spoke with my sister who has a very level head about most things and she recommended against it unless it's absolutely necessary. She said that she felt I handled situations with police officers well and unless something develops to simply leave it be.

I disagree, and I frankly don't think most autistic people - especially the more high functioning - understand how critical this could become. Because of issues like selective mutism, it is entirely possible that under severe stress, an autistic person, even after being read their miranda rights, might find it impossible to ask for legal counsel.

If then, you were asked direct questions and so much as shrugged yes or no as an answer, that could be construed as "confession" (and don't think LE "heroes" won't stoop to bullying and trickery to incriminate you, just to make themselves look badass).

Having your disability up front and unmistakable could only help, if you ever had to defend yourself in court. You are not like everybody else, and if you are held to the same standards as a normal person, you will get screwed every time.

My GF has always told me if I get arrested , I should always ask to see a Doctor and explain my situation before I speak to anyone. Luckily I've never had to put it into practice , so cant say if it's a good idea or not. :roll:

Lol you can tell the police that you have a SFD (save ferrets disorder :lol: ). I'm joking, of course! :D

You may jest , but I'm gonna try that as a defense if I get arrested :lol:

I would love to see what police would say to that :lol: .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 5:02 pm

It depends on the cop.....

Broken Sun Beam
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2017, 5:10 pm

will@rd wrote:
Broken Sun Beam wrote:
Thanks everyone for your responses. I've ultimately chosen not to pursue this unless a doctor recommends it. I spoke with my sister who has a very level head about most things and she recommended against it unless it's absolutely necessary. She said that she felt I handled situations with police officers well and unless something develops to simply leave it be.

I disagree, and I frankly don't think most autistic people - especially the more high functioning - understand how critical this could become. Because of issues like selective mutism, it is entirely possible that under severe stress, an autistic person, even after being read their miranda rights, might find it impossible to ask for legal counsel.

If then, you were asked direct questions and so much as shrugged yes or no as an answer, that could be construed as "confession" (and don't think LE "heroes" won't stoop to bullying and trickery to incriminate you, just to make themselves look badass).

Having your disability up front and unmistakable could only help, if you ever had to defend yourself in court. You are not like everybody else, and if you are held to the same standards as a normal person, you will get screwed every time.

Yeah I just want to make sure it's 100% worth it before I try because going to the doctor makes me so anxious I want to throw up. I can't even go to the doctor alone. Someone always has to go with me in case I need to be calmed down or if I'm fumbling with my words because I suck at explaining myself and I especially suck when I'm asking for help because I hate asking for help... :oops:

I guess I admit that's the only real reason I'm debating it. I hate being questioned and stuff like that is always a hot button issue here in Texas. Well maybe it won't be as big of a deal as I'm making it in my head. I will sleep on the decision.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 8:27 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I'm no leader , Che GeFerret is in charge :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 8:50 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Lol of course you're our leader! You are the inspiration for the entire ferret thread! Che GeFerret can go jump in a lake (Joking! :D )

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 8:30 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Lol of course you're our leader! You are the inspiration for the entire ferret thread! Che GeFerret can go jump in a lake (Joking! :D )

Yes I am t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶j̶o̶k̶e̶ the inspiration for the thread but the revolution was started by Che GeFerret :lol:

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2017, 5:37 pm

Just like "every autistic is different", so is every police officer you will encounter. Training aside, no one person is the same, autistic or NT. That said, I have both a wallet card, a medical ID bracelet as I do become non verbal under high stress or if I am shutdown. I am upfront about it with pretty much everybody. Dodger

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 5:41 pm

On one of my earlier posts about meltdowns one of the posters their told me of her autism card which seems like a great idea for some on the spectrum. ( In fact I think it was 2 posters )

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 5:45 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes I am t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶j̶o̶k̶e̶ the inspiration for the thread but the revolution was started by Che GeFerret :lol:

Yeah- some awesome mod :wink: started it all and you're just "there" :lol: .

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 5:53 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
(save ferrets disorder)
Okay, but who's saving disordered ferrets?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 6:03 pm

How I lasted 23 years on and off in retail with having autism (diagnosed later in life) is a mystery even deity can't explain. But, yes, secret shoppers is a term applied to several things both technically accurate and not. There were times in stores other than my employer where I knew I was being followed as a potential shoplifter. And there were times I busted shoplifters in my store. Had one store where the manager had an attitude that pretty near everyone of a certain ethnicity was a shoplifter. And he really had something against people in wheelchairs. And deaf people too. Really? Dude, get over it. Interesting that he was from Texas. What's up with Texas?

I don't have an answer for the police thing. The card thing sounds reasonable.
There was one time where I had had to call an ambulance for an injury and police showed up along with them.
Now forget exact specifics what it was about but one of the male EMT was pressuring me to hurry up (really? WTF?) and Finally I said, look, I have autism and am about 3 seconds from a meltdown, I can't do this any faster.
Fortunately one of the EMT gals had a son with autism, she nudged him aside and took over.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 6:08 pm

Broken Sun Beam wrote:
When is it appropriate to get an Autism Driver's license...?

Because most U.S. states don't have autism-related driver licenses or identification cards, a nonprofit organization in New Mexico created by a law-enforcement officer and a physician offers various disability-related cards ( http://www.gocit.org/care-cards.html ) including some for those with autism. The information on each card can be specific to the card holder. They are of the same quality as most corporate- and government-issued cards. I have one which I take with me.

I believe that autists of all kinds should consider getting one of these cards. In a stressful situation with emergency or law-enforcement workers, even the the most glib of autists could benefit from the little extra help that these cards provide.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 6:11 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
I have one which I take with me.

I knew you had one but just didn't want to mention your name :)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 6:56 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
I have a different definition of "secret shopper"

a secret shopper is someone who is sent into a shop or establishment to pose as a customer to rate the service of the shop

That's MY definition, as well!! I think the OP is talking about "undercover security" or "plain-clothes security"----but, anyway.....

In regard to the OP (I have NOT read this entire thread): I'm terribly sorry that happened to you----but, I agree with Tawaki, in that there's just too many people who should NOT be privvy to that information; AND, that it probably wouldn't've done any good, in the situation you described.

I understand that you said the info, was on the BACK, but, IMO, that is just giving people ammunition to put you down, consider you "less than", etc.----for example, I have had WAAAAAY too many experiences with medical "professionals" who instantly began talking to me like a child, for instance, once they knew I was a psych patient (when, really, all I was doing was seeing a psychiatrist, for ADHD meds); so, because ASD is so terribly MISunderstood, I wouldn't suggest divulging that information, to ANYONE, cuz you're REALLY taking a chance, IMO, that you'll be treated BETTER, cuz the deck could be stacked against you (as you experienced, in the OP).

Last edited by Campin_Cat on 14 Aug 2017, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Broken Sun Beam
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Aug 2017, 7:01 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
How I lasted 23 years on and off in retail with having autism (diagnosed later in life) is a mystery even deity can't explain. But, yes, secret shoppers is a term applied to several things both technically accurate and not. There were times in stores other than my employer where I knew I was being followed as a potential shoplifter. And there were times I busted shoplifters in my store. Had one store where the manager had an attitude that pretty near everyone of a certain ethnicity was a shoplifter. And he really had something against people in wheelchairs. And deaf people too. Really? Dude, get over it. Interesting that he was from Texas. What's up with Texas?

I don't have an answer for the police thing. The card thing sounds reasonable.
There was one time where I had had to call an ambulance for an injury and police showed up along with them.
Now forget exact specifics what it was about but one of the male EMT was pressuring me to hurry up (really? WTF?) and Finally I said, look, I have autism and am about 3 seconds from a meltdown, I can't do this any faster.
Fortunately one of the EMT gals had a son with autism, she nudged him aside and took over.

I can totally relate. Yeah I honestly hate Texas. Don't get me wrong there are nice people here but there are also huge jerks here too. I've been telling my husband I really want to move to Halifax. I mean Calgary was my first option but my husband says it's too cold and you know if you're Canadian husband says it's too cold the Texan wifu listens. Honestly... Canada is a lot better mostly because there's not nearly as much political tension there as far as my personal experience reaches. I don't feel like I have to dance around my words or watch what I say. I feel like I can be myself. I miss Nova Scotia. :x