Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Broken Sun Beam
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2017, 11:07 am

I honestly can't tell the difference. I have had verbal tics since kindergarten. They were once very loud and severe. But if someone asked me to be quiet I could be quiet for some time at least until I forgot to be quiet. It feels kind of like trying to remember to hold your breath. It's uncomfortable but possible. As an adult it's very mild but still annoying to my co-workers. Is this simply stimming?

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 1:04 pm

It's hard to tell for sure, but it could be Tourettes. Technically a person can learn to hold in tics, but the success can vary greatly from person to person as well as situation to situation and tic to tic. And suppressing tics, when possible, takes focus and can be quite uncomfortable to say the least. So your feeling of trying to remember to hold your breath could be from suppressing vocal tics.

Are the sounds soothing to you? I know for me at least, my stims are a way to self soothe and regulate my nervous system. My tics on the other hand are involuntary things that get in the way of my ability to function and just cause problems in general.

Broken Sun Beam
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2017, 1:48 pm

ImeldaJace wrote:
It's hard to tell for sure, but it could be Tourettes. Technically a person can learn to hold in tics, but the success can vary greatly from person to person as well as situation to situation and tic to tic. And suppressing tics, when possible, takes focus and can be quite uncomfortable to say the least. So your feeling of trying to remember to hold your breath could be from suppressing vocal tics.

Are the sounds soothing to you? I know for me at least, my stims are a way to self soothe and regulate my nervous system. My tics on the other hand are involuntary things that get in the way of my ability to function and just cause problems in general.

It's kind of embarrassing to admit but they do make me feel calm. I wish to make them go away though. My friends say I shouldn't be ashamed or apologize. Which I understand if it's a friend or loved one I think that applies. But in situations where people don't know me such as a job interview they start to question it. I hate having to explain them and it's up in the air if they choose to be understanding or not.

Do you or anyone else know any techniques that have helped them manage or control their tics?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 3:02 pm

Broken Sun Beam wrote:
ImeldaJace wrote:

It's kind of embarrassing to admit but they do make me feel calm. I wish to make them go away though. My friends say I shouldn't be ashamed or apologize. Which I understand if it's a friend or loved one I think that applies. But in situations where people don't know me such as a job interview they start to question it. I hate having to explain them and it's up in the air if they choose to be understanding or not.

Do you or anyone else know any techniques that have helped them manage or control their tics?

I try to manage stress and other strong emotions, but there really isn't much you can do to reduce tics. They can come and go, or be chronic. I also try to stop thinking about them and what other people will think, and that also helps a little :D . I hope you can find a way to manage them, though! :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 7:10 am

Medication - haloperidol - has worked for me. I have motor tic disorder and the tics are tensing back, stomach, sides and neck muscles until I get cramps, squinting my eyes shut frequently (that started when I was 5) and a really annoying breathing tic where I would control my breath out little by little causing me to gasp a breath back in.

I can't pretend to know all about vocal tics, but that sounds like tics to me.

If you do try meds, try other ones rather than haloperidol. It has a nasty habit of causing parkinsonism which you would have to take another med for. It also has a reputation for causing tardive dyskinesia. I have been on it for 4 years and consider myself lucky that it hasn't happened yet.

Andrewdar
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Aug 2017, 2:34 pm

I occasionally blurt out obscene words and twitch and assume bizarre postures when I'm outdoors. I gets so bad that I have been given Valium to control it, but unfortunately they only prescribe diazepam as a short term solution. Bloody typical, all the fun meds are only deemed suitable for a few day's use!