Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jijin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2007, 4:12 pm

I love slow moving water. I like playing (even now) with the gutter streams that pop up when it's raining. messing with the flow, blocking it, etc.

Anybody else have this.

I think it also is intertwined with my ability to watch scope read outs of music (like in window media player).

Cause we don?t clean up our own s**t
And when refused we throw a fit
As we scream ?I don-wanna-hear-it?

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2007, 4:27 pm

Water is ok but I prefer to perseverate on textured ceilings and the pop squares screen saver myself.

Ramsus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2007, 4:39 pm

Yep, I do that with water.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 4:42 pm

I like the sound of "trickeling and flowing water" and the feel of it against my hand.Fast moving water,even pounding waves make me anxious and is not relaxing.I also like canoeing and running my hand through the water as the canoe moves forward but large bodies of water,scare me.It's a love/fear relationship with water.(Hate to get my face wet,water in my nose,eyes,ears or feel the water drying on my skin)

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

jijin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2007, 4:44 pm

Phssthpok wrote:
Water is ok but I prefer to perseverate on textured ceilings and the pop squares screen saver myself.

Ramsus wrote:
Yep, I do that with water.

do you both constantly look for patterns and kind of find a place for them in a mental catalog?

krex wrote:
I like the sound of "trickeling and flowing water" and the feel of it against my hand.Fast moving water,even pounding waves make me anxious and is not relaxing.I also like canoeing and running my hand through the water as the canoe moves forward but large bodies of water,scare me.It's a love/fear relationship with water.(Hate to get my face wet,water in my nose,eyes,ears or feel the water drying on my skin)

me too. I hate to swim, but if I had the inclination can play with a water trickle for hours

Cause we don?t clean up our own s**t
And when refused we throw a fit
As we scream ?I don-wanna-hear-it?

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2007, 5:00 pm

jijin wrote:
do you both constantly look for patterns and kind of find a place for them in a mental catalog?
It doesn't really require a mental catalog of things to look for it actually works best when I'm not trying to imagine what a shape could be. When I look at some textures the patterns look like they are moving or even flowing along but if I focus on one point it doesn't actually move. Its hard to explain because its more like I have a perception of certain feature moving without them actually changing location in my field of view. The longer I do it the more I get into it and the larger and more intricate the pictures get.

KalahariMeerkat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 May 2007, 5:49 pm

Yes. For years my mother was terrified that I would drown beucase I would run to play in any puddle or any forum of H20 no matter the depth. She forced me to take swimming lessons at a YMCA and I hated them and had a meltdown at every lesson. The instructors just thought I had a fear of water. It was because I had to swim the way they wanted me to and they constantly were telling us how dangerous the "deep end" of the swimming pool was and not to go near it and yet they would take us to swim in it and I was confused about why they told us not to go near it and then take us to it. They also tried to force me to "jump in" the pool and would get pushy about to the point where they would make me have a meltdown that was so bad my mother would have to take me home early. I never did jump in and I think it was becuase they trained me to have a phobia of it by trying to force me to jump in when I was not ready. I also took swimming lessons at a place that was supposidly for Autistic kids and one of the instructors called me names to my face when she could not get me to jump in and said I swam like a dog.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 6:17 pm

KalahariMeerkat wrote:
I also took swimming lessons at a place that was supposidly for Autistic kids and one of the instructors called me names to my face when she could not get me to jump in and said I swam like a dog.

There sure are some evil-a** folks in this world. :evil:
I hope you did eventually learn to swim from more supportive people.

I love the water, too. Sitting by a lake or an ocean is like heaven to me. I remember one time I was at Brighton Beach in Queens, NY watching the surf. This group of guys walking by saw my relaxed expression and asked if I had been smoking pot. :lol:

phenomenon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 May 2007, 7:02 pm

My mom's always called me a "water-baby" (up until the time I was 13 or so), but I'm not NEARLY as "interested" in it as I was before

At the pool when other kids were playing with toys I would just dive, over and over again, and just BE under water until I needed air. One of the happiest days of my life was when I discovered that I could "put" air under steps (which would trap it there) and I could breathe from that, not surfacing for several minutes.

I always stopped at puddles and would spend my entire time hunched over them while other kids played on playgrounds

If I found even the slowest, smallest creek....I was done for the day.

Up until I was a young teenager I would take showers that were literally hours long, and baths for as long a period of time. Showers because I liked the constant pressure of water, and baths because I would just go under water and sit there in the quiet and it was like being in a giant womb.

However, I HATED swimming lessons...the fact that I was going to be physically FORCED into the pool almost had me in hysterics, and during summer camp (I was 13) I was signed up for swimming lessons in the lake which I simply didn't participate in because I was so terrified of the black water (I was too old to manhandle). I eventually had to drop the class, which made me a little weird to the other kids for a brief period of time (it was a SUPER outdoorsey camp).

Gooooood water memories! LOL

JakeG
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 7:21 pm

phenomenon wrote:
Showers because I liked the constant pressure of water, and baths because I would just go under water and sit there in the quiet and it was like being in a giant womb.

I can relate to that. I also find that in the bath, I quickly lose track of time as it is so quiet and relaxing I can just be alone with my thoughts and be comfortable.

One thing I love about water is its viscosity. Even though I am used to it, I still find myself sometimes touching the surface of water gently to see it sort of 'stick' to my finger as I lift the finger up and the water drop rises with it.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

31 May 2007, 7:26 pm

I like walking or running through ankle- to knee-deep water and playing with the patterns water evaporates in, but hate actually going for a swim. Go figure.

And KalaharkiMeerkat--I also swim like a dog. :P And I've failed nearly every swimming course my mother's made me take. At least I float like a stick. (I can curl up into a cannonball in the water and I will float from my head. I'm not really worried about drowning.)

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 7:34 pm

And what about sea waves?

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 7:52 pm

Phssthpok wrote:
jijin wrote:
It doesn't really require a mental catalog of things to look for it actually works best when I'm not trying to imagine what a shape could be. When I look at some textures the patterns look like they are moving or even flowing along but if I focus on one point it doesn't actually move. Its hard to explain because its more like I have a perception of certain feature moving without them actually changing location in my field of view. The longer I do it the more I get into it and the larger and more intricate the pictures get.

I do that too! Except I do it with glow in the dark stars and stuff on my walls-after staring at them for a while they all kind of move in little tiny circles, or they move back and forth. I've told others about this, and they all laughed and called me crazy :( As far as looking at textures, I tend to see them "flowing" along, but really it's just some pattern. If I see the same pattern in 2 different places, it messes up the perception because it's always done a little differently, lol, and i have to stare again.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

31 May 2007, 8:01 pm

Neuromancer wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks that seawater is delicious? Just curious.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 8:09 pm

Phssthpok wrote:
jijin wrote:

The same thing happens to me. Especially with graph paper...the squares seem to move. I don't know if that is normal or not...

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 8:12 pm

SolaCatella wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks that seawater is delicious? Just curious.

Do you mean to drink? I think only if I stay some time ingesting few salt.
And what about pure water after a long time at the sea?