Patent Infringement Lawsuit Could End the Switch

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 11:28 am

So Nintendo is being sued by a patent troll again. This time, it's about the joycon on the Switch pad. Gamevice is suing Nintendo because it rips off some of their products such as the Wikipad. Their asking for damages as well as for Nintendo to stop making the Switch, stop selling it, and stop using it.

This news comes just as I have saved up enough money for half the price of a Switch. Will Gamevice win the lawsuit? Will this be the end of the Switch? Will Nintendo be forced to pay everything it has? Will this open a Pandora's Box for all sorts of patent trolling cases to take place.

Come to think of it, they don't make the Wikipad anymore and I think there's some devices sold on Amazon that're bigger rip offs of the Wikipad than the Switch is.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 3:58 pm

That sucks. I hope Nintendo wins because I am looking forward to their other games and I would hate to see Mario Odyssy cancelled and their upcoming games.

I did notice similarities with the wikipad and the Switch when I looked it up. I never knew those even existed. I wonder if Nintendo knew too?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 4:08 pm

League_Girl wrote:
That sucks. I hope Nintendo wins because I am looking forward to their other games and I would hate to see Mario Odyssy cancelled and their upcoming games.

I did notice similarities with the wikipad and the Switch when I looked it up. I never knew those even existed. I wonder if Nintendo knew too?

All Nintendo had to do was search the US Patent and Trademark office (or the corresponding agencies in the rest of the world) databases for similar designs.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 4:17 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Will Gamevice win the lawsuit?

No.

Aspiegaming wrote:
Will this be the end of the Switch?

No.

Aspiegaming wrote:
Will Nintendo be forced to pay everything it has?

No.

Aspiegaming wrote:
Will this open a Pandora's Box for all sorts of patent trolling cases to take place.

That box has been open for quite some time now.

Aspiegaming wrote:
Come to think of it, they don't make the Wikipad anymore and I think there's some devices sold on Amazon that're bigger rip offs of the Wikipad than the Switch is.

Yes.

Meistersinger wrote:
Meistersinger

Ravenloft?

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 5:02 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
Will Gamevice win the lawsuit?

No.

Aspiegaming wrote:
Will this be the end of the Switch?

No.

Aspiegaming wrote:
Will Nintendo be forced to pay everything it has?

No.

Aspiegaming wrote:
Will this open a Pandora's Box for all sorts of patent trolling cases to take place.

That box has been open for quite some time now.

Aspiegaming wrote:

Yes.

Thanks for the reassurance. And since the Pandora's Box is open, it's safe to bet it isn't open just a crack. The last thing we need is for it to be so open that the lid is broken off and the contents are spewing out like an explosive volcanic eruption

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 5:13 pm

I really hope this doesn't happen :( . I was planning on getting a Switch in a few months for Christmas!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 6:58 pm

Nintendo's a powerful company with oodles of money in its coffers. They could probably pay Gamevice a little extra to get out of their face, or offer to pay royalties or something.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 3:38 am

Nintendo has been sued several times. Universal sued them for Donkey Kong because he was very similar to King Kong and he carries the princess up the ladder to another location but that sure didn't end Donkey Kong. They were also sued for the first Mario Party game due to rotating the joystick in some mini games and it would cause blisters on the skin and causing it to rip and that didn't stop them from making Mario Party games but they just didn't use the rotating joystick anymore for minigames and they offered gloves but they never re released the game again probably for this reason.

Maybe this won't end their new gaming system because there was still Mario Party and Donkey Kong. Those survived the lawsuits. The least that can happen is maybe a redesign of the system so there would be a second version of the Switch. :D Just my speculation.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.