Roland TR-808 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Roland TR-909 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Other drum machine 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 2:09 pm

I really like the Roland TR-808 drum machine (oh~ the sexy~ rimshot...) and the impact it had on electro, hip hop, and house music. It is a work of art from the past created by the Japanese company... Who here likes the 808, or some of the other ones like the 909? Post your opinions below!

Thanks to all you users ;) I will keep the posts coming in the future,

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on August 14, 2017)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 10:47 pm

It is really nice. I also think the CR-78 and a few of the others had some nice hats and percussion.

Have you heard any of Roland's recent reincarnations of the 808, 909, 303, etc.?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 6:40 am

The TR 808 and 909 are great machines, but what about other classics like the TR 606 or the Linndrum?

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 3:35 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
The TR 808 and 909 are great machines, but what about other classics like the TR 606 or the Linndrum?

Those ones are good drum machines too!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 5:33 pm

One of the better sounding of the newer generation of analogs (this one I think 2013):

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 8:29 pm

Sometimes I prefer the 808, other times I prefer the 909.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 12:10 am

I think this just got issued by Roland this month. I'm not sure if I'm happy I got turned on to this or not - I just saw that the JX-03 and JP-08 are almost out of stock, on sale, so I'm already picking up both of those this week and it looks like I'll be getting the TR-08 next month.

I usually wouldn't do something that but they're all remakes of uber-classic Roland gear, just as limited in sales scope, and I never could have imagined all three for less than $1000.00. The JU-06 is gorgeous as well just that it's already sold out for good.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 7:50 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think this just got issued by Roland this month. I'm not sure if I'm happy I got turned on to this or not - I just saw that the JX-03 and JP-08 are almost out of stock, on sale, so I'm already picking up both of those this week and it looks like I'll be getting the TR-08 next month.

I usually wouldn't do something that but they're all remakes of uber-classic Roland gear, just as limited in sales scope, and I never could have imagined all three for less than $1000.00. The JU-06 is gorgeous as well just that it's already sold out for good.

Ah yes, the Roland TR-808 reissue... I would get that and the TR-8 if I had enough money, but I only have about $20 or so, and that means I plan on getting only the TR-8 when I can afford it.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 12:29 pm

I just realized that the TR-08 is the same price as the TB-03.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 7:13 pm

I do now have all three of the pieces I mentioned - ie. TR-08, JX-03, and JP-08, along with the 25 key controller. I brought the TR-08 and JX-03 to work yesterday and broke them out on lunch break. The combo does sound great but what I think I need is a couple pedals. I got a saturation/overdrive plug on Ebay (Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes) last night and in another month or so I might look for a decent reverb with high-pass and low-pass settings that I can link prior to the saturation.

So far my impression of the JX-03, for as simple as it is, it does have the ability to crank out some pretty warm and usable sounds. It may be a little bit before I try the JP-08 because I'm really hoping to get much more technical mastery with all of these pieces than I was with my vst synths. Even though it might sound cheesy I'm really coming to appreciate hardware again and how much you gain from having dedicated units where you can twist the knobs directly. Even a controller keyboard is a bit alienating. I know it shouldn't matter but I get that as human beings we, as well as our creativity, aren't really based fully in either the rational or practical. Either way I think this will help me keep my practice up.

If I were to throw down on more gear at this rate in the next few years, I could see myself going with more analog drum machines (like the Tanzbar) as well as the Korg Arp Odyssey or one of the Moogs or Oberheims (the later really sound gorgeous IMHO). A lot of that's in the category of course of being a bit big to take to work in a laptop bag so I'm still not sure if I'd do it but I suppose if what I have now gets me dedicated again I might consider it.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 7:21 pm

The TR-808 is a classic of drum machine design. Its influence cannot be understated.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 10:51 am

EclecticWarrior wrote:
The TR-808 is a classic of drum machine design. Its influence cannot be understated.

And people are still using the 808 in music hits today.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 3:22 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
EclecticWarrior wrote:

And people are still using the 808 in music hits today.

And exponentially more use emulations, samples and imitations. :P

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う