Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 6:54 pm

but I feel insecure because I don't feel I have enough skills for it, also my insecurity in proposing things and I have a slow pace of work won't help :/

Carinthium
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Aug 2017, 7:55 pm

It's very hard to tell because I don't know you, but the way I see it if your boss chose to employ you you probably have more skills than you think. I'd recommend searching "Imposter Syndrome" on the Internet.

I'm willing to try and help you out in more detail, but I'd need to have more detail of why you think the way you do.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 8:58 pm

I already had read something about it, but I still can't help with my insecurity :/ I know they liked my portfolio, I made it with lots of care, but my work process is really messy, so if I'm in control of everything, I can more or less understand what I'm doing and delivery a good result but in a team work, I need to adjust to a more organized process, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to. Also, I'm very slow in deciding things, I need lots of time to mature ideas and then start working. :/

Today was my first day and I was dealing mostly with finishing some archives for printing, it was fine, but when I needed to start a graphic piece from zero, it took me too long to propose something – then I wouldn't have time to finish it, so they just told me to let it and the other intern will work with that – I'm not sure if they were frustrated with me or not. Anyway, when I got home, I got a nice idea and even worked on it, and I like the result, but now it's too late.

On wednesday (tomorrow is holiday, so i won't work) i'm going to do some technical drawing details and I don't feel very confident with that – if I was doing it alone and had time, I could perform better, I think.

Carinthium
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Aug 2017, 9:18 pm

If you were a confident person I'd suggest explaining all this to your employer (you wouldn't necessarily have to mention autism) but I'm betting it's not that easy for you. If you were confident, maybe that your specialty is long term projects?

Is it possible for you to work on the details the day before and plan and plan beforehand? Then by the time the work day actually happens you'll have an idea to work with? Imagine it was just your project, and create as much of a "First Draft" (how you'd do it if you had your way) as you can. Then you at least have a basis from which to process other ideas.

For me that would be easier said than done, but for you it might be easier.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 3:07 pm

Carinthium wrote:
If you were a confident person I'd suggest explaining all this to your employer (you wouldn't necessarily have to mention autism) but I'm betting it's not that easy for you. If you were confident, maybe that your specialty is long term projects?

Is it possible for you to work on the details the day before and plan and plan beforehand? Then by the time the work day actually happens you'll have an idea to work with? Imagine it was just your project, and create as much of a "First Draft" (how you'd do it if you had your way) as you can. Then you at least have a basis from which to process other ideas.

For me that would be easier said than done, but for you it might be easier.

When I told a previous boss that I was and am autistic, her immediate, natural, involuntary, subconscious response was to make a disgusted face. As if I just told her that I got convicted of rape of babies

Online research. Reasonable accommodation for work. Come up with what you think might benefit you.

Please prepare for rejection and misunderstandings

You might provide written articles written by professionals for your boss to read

But seriously what is "reasonable" is completely subjective. At the previous job, did not get any accommodations whatsoever

But then she asked if I had siblings. Then she had the nerve to ask if my sister is autistic.

Answered no

Then she said "she's normal?"

:cry:

:roll:

It's "neurotypical", not "normal"

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 2:23 pm

Enjoy. At least you are working in your field. I get the minimum wage part time job in a department store.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 4:46 am

Just act confident and pretend even to yourself that you know what you're doing, and have fun learning and looking even more confident, and then you will eventually really know what you're doing!

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 4:17 pm

it's almost a month now, and i'm doing ok I guess... Sometimes I dislike a bit, I share a room with the others intern and they are loud and uninteresting, but I like the things I do and I learned a lot, it's an internship actually so everyone is really open to teach me things.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 4:19 pm

Also, next week I'll get my first ever paycheck :D It won't be much, as I work only 20h/week and it's an internship, but most internship here are even unpaid so I feel really happy about getting my money. I'll buy an electric oven and two books with it.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 5:20 pm

I'm not sure if I mentioned that I had just a two months contract, but it ended and they wanted to renew it (there was another girl who entered together with me that they didn't renew)! I'm really happy and I'm doing way better now.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 5:22 pm

Great to hear they renewed your contract!

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 5:29 pm

Congratulations on your job. It sounds very creative. Starting a new job is hard for anyone, but many asd humans have a real problem with transitions. Good for you for sticking in there until it became more routine. I hope it continues to be a more pleasant experience.

ms.utopia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2017, 10:43 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
I'm not sure if I mentioned that I had just a two months contract, but it ended and they wanted to renew it (there was another girl who entered together with me that they didn't renew)! I'm really happy and I'm doing way better now.

Congratulations! I am happy for you. You only need time to adjust with your coworker and your work environment.

FerrariFan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Oct 2017, 1:20 pm

Congrats!!

Did you get your oven and your books?

FF

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 3:49 pm

FerrariFan wrote:
Congrats!!

FF

yes!! and this month i bought two beautiful pair of shoes

FerrariFan

25 Oct 2017, 12:54 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
FerrariFan wrote:
Congrats!!

FF

yes!! and this month i bought two beautiful pair of shoes

GOOD FOR YOU!! !

A feeling of independence is pretty awesome isn't it??

FF