Yes but I didn't as a child 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
No I have never toe-walked 30%  30%  [ 11 ]
Sometimes like when I'm anxious etc.. 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 37

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 9:41 am

I used to as a kid but I stopped around the time I was in middle school. I don't really know why I stopped.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 1:07 pm

I still do as an adult, though randomly.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2017, 2:41 pm

I still toe-walk when I'm alone, especially when I need to be mindful of my balance. I have very strong foot arches and calves and I tend to use them as well as my abdominal and upper-body muscles when I walk. I feel more energetic and in control of my body when I do this. When I'm sick or exhausted, I tend to drop this behavior and just plod along. Of course I'm intimidated to do it in public, so I imitate other people's walk.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 3:01 pm

I toe walk, but I can't remember if I did it as a younger child, so I selected the Yes, but not when I was a child as my option. That might not be accurate, though. I had certain behaviors when I was little that I don't remember doing.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2017, 3:59 pm

mikegags wrote:
I stumbled on this site a few months ago, and just joined after I stumbled on this question. As soon as I saw the words "toe walk" I knew exactly what it meant. I remember as a child I had special custom-made shoes (not sneakers - nasty ugly black/brown shoes) I was forced to wear. And a vague memory of a bar across my lower legs when I slept. I remember asking my parents in later years about the shoes (I had forgot about the bar) and my mom answered "because you walked toe-to-heel".

I should mention this was in the late 60s. I am sure doctors then viewed the issue as a defect. Something about the bones in my lower legs being twisted - hence the bar to "correct" that. Yes...medieval medicine. Maybe I am wrong. But someone asked the question and I already this site for other reasons.

I believe you are referring to lateral tibial torsion which can be a result or toe walking. This is why I try not to toe walk when I am thinking about it. I have "winking patellas" my knee caps face inward when my feet are parallel, and when my knee caps face forward my feet are like a wide V. Once I learned that toe walking and W sitting are known causes of this, I try to avoid them when it's on my mind. Yet toe walking is so much more practical for me it is less effort, I walk so much lighter and quieter, and 'normal' walking compared to toe walking is like a car with no suspension compared to a car with the best suspension money can buy. Every 'normal' step jams your lower leg into your ankle and toe walk steps just adjust the angle of foot to ankle during the step. So, you know, Pros and cons. 8)

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 4:10 pm

I toe walked up until adolescence. I had a very big wish to grow up to be tall and I thought that toe walking would help me achieve that goal.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2017, 4:31 pm

EyeDash wrote:
I still toe-walk when I'm alone, especially when I need to be mindful of my balance. I have very strong foot arches and calves and I tend to use them as well as my abdominal and upper-body muscles when I walk. I feel more energetic and in control of my body when I do this. When I'm sick or exhausted, I tend to drop this behavior and just plod along. Of course I'm intimidated to do it in public, so I imitate other people's walk.

I also have the feeling of more balance and control with toe walking. In fact this whole statement pretty much describes me.

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

15 Aug 2017, 6:59 pm

I have toe-walked since I could walk. We have home movies of me toe-walking at around 18 months. I toe-walk 100% of the time when barefoot. I literally cannot walk "normally"/flat-footed while barefoot. It's alien to me. When I'm in shoes, it depends on the shoe whether I toe-walk or not. With some shoes, I switch between toe-walking and regular walking. With some types of shoes, it's impossible to toe-walk. When I first was told I might have Asperger's, before I got the official diagnosis, I had no idea that toe-walking was common in those on the spectrum. When I read that, it's basically what convinced my mother that I had AS. Lol. I do think it's a sensory thing, both with having more pressure on one part of your foot while having less total foot surface area having to be on the ground and feel things.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 7:04 pm

Yes, but am subtle about it.. Really only on hard surfaces such as hard wood floors when i have socks on or bare foot...

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 7:11 pm

I never walked on my toes, but the bottom of my feet were round and I got orthopedic shoes right around the time I learned to walk. So I've been wondering lately if I would have walked on my toes if it weren't for the shoes, and if round feet are common with to walking?
Trying to get records, although records from 30 years ago just may not exist anymore.
Still have foot problems.

AbleBaker
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Aug 2017, 10:32 pm

At home I go barefoot and often walk that way but not when I'm wearing shoes.

creepycrawler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2017, 10:43 pm

I still do - when I'm at home only though. Because when you get home, you can be anything you want. You don't gotta put on an act anymore. When I get home, I'm a goshdarn dinosaur! I wouldn't necessarily say that it's caused by whatever neurological condition I could be diagnosed with - I'm just weird.

xDominiel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2017, 5:06 am

I used to. I don't actually remember exactly when I stopped..

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 4:52 am

I was somewhat slow to start walking when little but when I did, I never walked on my toes. My sister did though, and she's not autistic.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 9:07 am

The only time I stand on my toes is when I have to reach for something placed on a high shelf. I'm a short person, so it takes some stretching.

The only other time I've toe walked is when I was following my cats.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 4:50 pm

ScarletIbis wrote:
I don't think people do it to make sure they have qualifications, I think it is just a mindless habit of muscle memory that is supposedly more common among the ASD population compared to the rest of the population. I am sure there is some reason people start walking like that but I think once you start it, your muscles just retain how you used them and try to do it again. Sometimes though, when I am thinking about it, I make myself walk 'normally' even though it feels unnatural.

I mean people shouldn't feel that since they have autism they should also have such and such trait. People have come on here in the past and basically asked that since they don't flap their hands, toe walk, or whatever do they really have autism.

Perhaps toe walking isn't noticeable to the observer, because in my experience of having always been in a private school for ASD, it's not something I recall seeing anyone doing that. Except maybe little kids. Or maybe they do and I'm oblivious to it because I've been around it my whole life.