Protesters tear down Confederate statue in North Carolina

Page 5 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 9:46 pm

EzraS wrote:
Tollorin wrote:
So, according to your opinions so far, if someone from the left commit violence then all the left is responsible, but if someone from the right commit violence then the right is innocent because it's only one individual. Am I right?

No you are wrong. What I have referred to is hundreds to thousands to millions being involved in doing whatever. If a leftist with a Hillary bumper sticker on his car drove into a crowd of Trump supporters, he acted alone. That's just simple logic.

Except there is evidence the nutter had fellow Nazis egging him on. Fields was photographed on Saturday walking hand in hand with Neo-Nazi group Vanguard America

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 10:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Tollorin wrote:
So, according to your opinions so far, if someone from the left commit violence then all the left is responsible, but if someone from the right commit violence then the right is innocent because it's only one individual. Am I right?

No you are wrong. What I have referred to is hundreds to thousands to millions being involved in doing whatever. If a leftist with a Hillary bumper sticker on his car drove into a crowd of Trump supporters, he acted alone. That's just simple logic.

Except there is evidence the nutter had fellow Nazis egging him on. Fields was photographed on Saturday walking hand in hand with Neo-Nazi group Vanguard America

What is the evidence that others were egging him on and or knew anything about what he was going to do? Because that's being an accessory to a crime. Law enforcement brings charges against those who are accessories to a crime. How has law endorsement addressed these accessories?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 12:28 am

Ezra, Trump and his campaign did make nice openly with at least " sorta- " while supremacists and (Remember that " Mexican " Hoosier judge?) made...at least...racist-y remarks.
The alt-righters are fat, far, more connected to Trump then they were to Obama! Therefore he shoulda said more.
Readons.why such would not care for Obama very much- #1: Like, um, the second they see his face :lol: ?

zraS"]Well what I'm asking is when has a president made an immediate response? Did Carter say that shortly after it took place? Was there a lot of outrage if he didn't say that immediately after it took place?

Really though the outrage over Trump not saying something immediately, is the assertion that Trump is pro-neo nazi. He didn't immediately condemn it because the nazis are his homies. That's what's really being claimed if anyone wants to get real about this.[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

rick sanchez
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2017, 8:50 am

EzraS wrote:
rick sanchez wrote:
Stupidity, whether inherent or willfull, must be confronted at every opportunity.

My point is that you dont know what you are talking about. You just have emotionally satisfying opinions.

You're just making petulant ad hominem personal attacks that display baseless stupidity (your word). Therefore it's obvious you're the one seeking emotional satisfaction.

Here: oh ouch that hurts.

Feel better now?

No, I am not attacking you, I am just attacking the stupid s**t you write, because having never had to confront someone in person, you feel safe to write all kinds of stupid s**t.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 10:19 am

Baltimore takes down its Confederate memorials in the middle of the night "They needed to come down"

Quote:
Over a period of six hours — between 11:30 PM on Tuesday and 5:30 AM the following morning — Baltimore quietly removed four Confederate monuments, including monuments commemorating Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and Supreme Court Justice Roger B. Taney (best known for his decision in the infamous Dred Scott case)

As DeathMetalKnight pointed out it is not because politicians and CEO's suddenly lost their racism it is because they are scared. In Baltimore, the powers that be are scared of both a repeat of the 2015 riots and Charlottesville.

After 600,000+ people lost their lives because of the rebellion launched under that flag and yet President Lincoln wanted minimal prosecution and in general, the Confederates welcomed back as Americans. For the next 150 years, thousands were killed by terrorists who supported that flag and those monuments but America in general at least tolerated these symbols and monuments. In the last 2 years 10 have been killed by a small number of Confederate sympathetic terrorists and now suddenly those symbols got to come down by any means necessary.

If you have read my other posts you know I am bothered by words such as "Autistic", or "ret*d", "colored person" or other things being bullied into unacceptability. I do fear the bullies being emboldened and demanding and getting more and more and more. I basically agree with the near universally mocked Trump "what's next" remarks. The last thing I want when arguing for something is Trump agreeing with me, particularly on this issue. Back when the Trump phenomenon started I argued that Trump was saying those things to appeal to prejudiced people and a lot of people disagreed with me. I feel that is what he was doing yesterday.

Of course, decisions should not be solely made because of what might happen. Sometimes upholding a principle means taking bad consequences. And the seriousness of "autistic" being bullied out of acceptability does not remotely compare to the Confederate insurrection. On the other hand having seen a lot of the bad consequences of "slippery slopes" and fear based decisions plus the speed and the way the decision to make symbols of the Confederacy go away is being made leads me to believe this is going to end badly. Call me paranoid, most people will but I can envision a day in the near future when statues of George Washington are coming down.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 16 Aug 2017, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 10:32 am

Watch for individuals to buy these monuments, and display them on private property.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

rick sanchez
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2017, 10:33 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Baltimore takes down its Confederate memorials in the middle of the night "They needed to come down"
Quote:
Over a period of six hours — between 11:30 PM on Tuesday and 5:30 AM the following morning — Baltimore quietly removed four Confederate monuments, including monuments commemorating Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and Supreme Court Justice Roger B. Taney (best known for his decision in the infamous Dred Scott case)

As DeathMetalKnight pointed out it is not because politicians and CEO's suddenly lost their racism it is because they are scared. In Baltimore, the powers that be are scared of both a repeat of the 2015 riots and Charlottesville.

After 600,000+ people lost their lives because of the rebellion launched under that flag President Lincoln wanted minimal prosecution and in general, the Confederates welcomed back as Americans. For the next 150 years, thousands were killed by terrorists who supported that flag and those monuments but America in general at least tolerated these symbols and monuments. In the last 2 years 10 have been killed by a small number of Confederate sympathetic terrorists and now suddenly those symbols got to come down by any means necessary.

If you have read my other posts you know I am bothered by words such as "Autistic", or "ret*d", "colored person" or other things being bullied into unacceptability. I do fear the bullies being emboldened and demanding and getting more and more and more. I basically agree with the near universally mocked Trump "what's next" remarks. The last thing I want when arguing for something is Trump agreeing with me, particularly on this issue. Back when the Trump phenomenon started I argued that Trump was saying those things to appeal to prejudiced people and a lot of people disagreed with me. I feel that is what he was doing yesterday.

Of course, decisions should not be solely made because of what might happen. Sometimes upholding a principle means taking bad consequences. And the consequences of "autistic" being bullied out of acceptability does not remotely compare to the Confederate insurrection. On the other hand having seen a lot of the bad consequences of "slippery slopes" and fear based decisions plus the speed and the way the decision to make symbols of the Confederacy go away is being made leads me to believe this is going to end badly. Call me paranoid, most people will but I can envision a day in the near future when statues of George Washington are coming down.

I agree that Trump has consistently been appealing to prejudiced people.

I tend to differ in that I don't really care about any monuments to people. They all seem very narcissistic. "Lets make monuments to our own greatness!" I spent a week at the capital mall and the only things that I enjoyed were the smithsonian and the botanical gardens, but even the smithsonian was mainly directed at "people".

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 10:35 am

AspieUtah wrote:
Watch for individuals to buy these monuments, and display them on private property.

Probably governments will be too scared to do that but if they did some the buyers will be outed on social media and attacked.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 10:39 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

Probably governments will be too scared to do that but if they did some the buyers will be outed on social media and attacked.

Trusts can disguise their individual owners quite well. Celebrities, corporations and elected officials do it all the time. Private properties offer a lot of advantages for symbolic speech.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 11:03 am

rick sanchez wrote:
EzraS wrote:
rick sanchez wrote:
Stupidity, whether inherent or willfull, must be confronted at every opportunity.

My point is that you dont know what you are talking about. You just have emotionally satisfying opinions.

You're just making petulant ad hominem personal attacks that display baseless stupidity (your word). Therefore it's obvious you're the one seeking emotional satisfaction.

Feel better now?

No, I am not attacking you, I am just attacking the stupid s**t you write, because having never had to confront someone in person, you feel safe to write all kinds of stupid s**t.

Reported.

rick sanchez
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2017, 11:08 am

EzraS wrote:
rick sanchez wrote:
EzraS wrote:
rick sanchez wrote:

Feel better now?

Reported.

Good luck with that. The problem with this solution that you are using, is that I don't care that much about this. Have fun with real life. It will be much less tolerant of your comments.

rick sanchez
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2017, 11:52 am

Tollorin wrote:

This is not the only killing from a far right fanatic lately either; remember the shooting in a black church.

That is the usual argument they use.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 7:18 pm

EzraS wrote:
America must be like Game of Thrones to commonwealth yokels.

Commonwealth yokels? I guess you can find "yokels" in most countries, but, on average, those of us who live within the Commonwealth nations tend to have far fewer of them than you do in the U.S.

I don't know much about "Game of Thrones", but from what I have read it does seem that way. Your political system is Machiavellian, very radical, far Right, extreme, entertaining, and just frankly bizarre.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2017, 8:19 pm

So they tore down a monument. That must have been quite an event. I'm sure it made those people feel very good about themselves, and it made headlines in every major newspaper to boot.

What I'm wondering is: what does tearing down an old statue really do for equal rights or race relations today? Was anything meaningful really accomplished here? I'm honestly not sure. Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe monuments like this should be left intact, so that people in the future could see physical evidence of the Confederacy to drive home how misguided they and all supporters of slavery were? Maybe those things should be preserved in the U.S. for the same reason other disturbing historical sites, like Auschwitz, have been preserved overseas: so that people don't make the same mistakes again. When we can just block, ban, delete, or destroy anything that makes us uncomfortable, no one learns anything, and the lessons of history become all too easy to forget.

But I guess a lot of people in this country don't see it that way.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:15 am