Protesters tear down Confederate statue in North Carolina

Page 5 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

rick sanchez
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2017, 11:52 am

Tollorin wrote:
So, according to your opinions so far, if someone from the left commit violence then all the left is responsible, but if someone from the right commit violence then the right is innocent because it's only one individual. Am I right?

This is not the only killing from a far right fanatic lately either; remember the shooting in a black church.

That is the usual argument they use.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 7:18 pm

EzraS wrote:
America must be like Game of Thrones to commonwealth yokels.

Commonwealth yokels? I guess you can find "yokels" in most countries, but, on average, those of us who live within the Commonwealth nations tend to have far fewer of them than you do in the U.S.

I don't know much about "Game of Thrones", but from what I have read it does seem that way. Your political system is Machiavellian, very radical, far Right, extreme, entertaining, and just frankly bizarre.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2017, 8:19 pm

So they tore down a monument. That must have been quite an event. I'm sure it made those people feel very good about themselves, and it made headlines in every major newspaper to boot.

What I'm wondering is: what does tearing down an old statue really do for equal rights or race relations today? Was anything meaningful really accomplished here? I'm honestly not sure. Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe monuments like this should be left intact, so that people in the future could see physical evidence of the Confederacy to drive home how misguided they and all supporters of slavery were? Maybe those things should be preserved in the U.S. for the same reason other disturbing historical sites, like Auschwitz, have been preserved overseas: so that people don't make the same mistakes again. When we can just block, ban, delete, or destroy anything that makes us uncomfortable, no one learns anything, and the lessons of history become all too easy to forget.

But I guess a lot of people in this country don't see it that way.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:15 am