Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2017, 5:31 am

How many to us have ear worms, you know the built in radio station which randomly select music for us wether we want it or not. I have it every morning after I awake, could be anything. Might last all day, might last a few hours and come back at random during the day. Sometimes if play the actual tune it disappears if it get to annoying. I am not sure if its an autistic trait or not, I do know NT's get it too, I just wondered if we are more prone to it.

BBC: Radio 4

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2017, 7:30 am

I haven't been diagnosed, so I can't say for sure about it being more common in people with asd, but I once tried to explain to my mother how I have a mental radio. Not an actual radio of course, but I hear music playing because of how easily songs become stuck in my head. It is the same as you described, "Might last all day, might last a few hours and come back at random during the day. " Though more often than not it is near constant. Sometimes I don't mind, other times it starts driving me insane.
After trying to explain it to my mother how it just plays in the background without me controling it, she jokingly said something along the lines of, "you might not want to tell people you hear things, they'll think you are nuts." :P

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 7:53 am

I prefer to word it as music being stuck in my head, 'ear worms' is a bit off putting...now all I can picture is an actual worm in someones ear.

Strangelittlegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Aug 2017, 8:27 am

Oh, it's really bad for me. I hear a sentence that relates to a song and it plays in my head on repeat all day.

Funny story. My daughter and I make fun of songs sometimes - particularly ones from the 80s when I was a kid because, well, artists were kind of cheesy sometimes. So she starts talking about that "Sunglasses at night" song by Corey Hart and how you can barely understand some of the words to the song (which usually leads me to talk about how when I was a kid, if you didn't have the album liner notes, you just had to figure out the words on your own as there was no Google) so I start goofing around and singing the wrong words to the song. ("DON'T TRUST A MAN WITH A GUIDANCE LANCE, OH NO!" etc.)

It was great until I woke up the next morning with the song playing on repeat in my head the next morning.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 8:39 am

All the time-it drives me crazy!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 8:41 am

I don't know if it's ASD related, bu I am super-susceptible to ear worms. I hate it most of the time, especially if it's a song I don't actually like, but it's stuck in my head.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 8:51 am

I have read somewhere that we are more susceptible to earworms. More often than not, mine are constant! Sometimes I like it, and sometimes I just wish it would stop :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 8:59 am

Strangelittlegirl wrote:
Oh, it's really bad for me. I hear a sentence that relates to a song and it plays in my head on repeat all day.

^^^^^ me too , I can't even read your user name without singing "where are you going" in a Hugh Cornwall stylee every time.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 9:12 am

^^^ RE Strange Little Girl -- ahgghgh now you've just given me a new one! :D

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 9:33 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
^^^ RE Strange Little Girl -- ahgghgh now you've just given me a new one! :D

Sorry :lol: I had to listen to it just now to try and remove it and then play something random afterwards to reset the process :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 9:44 am

Actually it's okay, because at least it has replaced another one I've been having for days, finding the lyrics a downer, and wanted out, lol!

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2017, 12:01 pm

There seems to be a lot more on this out there than I thought, perhaps we are more prone to them.

http://www.lettersfromaspergia.com/2013 ... worms.html
https://www.aspiescentral.com/threads/ear-worms.20651/
https://www.reddit.com/r/aspergers/comm ... ut_lyrics/

BBC: Radio 4

KestrylR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2017, 12:10 pm

I usually get snippets of 2 or 3 completely unrelated songs stuck on an automatic loop. And they are usually a weird length, like if the chorus is 4 lines, I'll get three lines, then it switches to 3 lines of the other song. Drives me up the wall...

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
Very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 9:07 am

The worst thing about earworms is that it is usually a song you hate that gets stuck in your head, or an annoying generic pop song. What has really driven me nuts lately is that I will get a portion of a song stuck in my head that isn't the lyric associated with the song's title. It will always be a line just before or after. It takes me the better part of a week before I realize what song it is.

Strangelittlegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Aug 2017, 4:59 pm

IstominFan wrote:
The worst thing about earworms is that it is usually a song you hate that gets stuck in your head, or an annoying generic pop song. What has really driven me nuts lately is that I will get a portion of a song stuck in my head that isn't the lyric associated with the song's title. It will always be a line just before or after. It takes me the better part of a week before I realize what song it is.

I think that's the worst. I've got one in my head since the weekend of Aug. 4th. My daughter started singing it and it's been there ever since. (I won't torture you guys with it this time :lol: )

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 5:12 pm

I get ear worms all the time and the ear worm is usually a Top 40 song that I can't stand.