Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Joshy96
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2017, 6:20 am

Hi my name is josh I'm 21 years old and I'm new to this site.. I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome when I was 17 years old.. I've always been a very sensitive person.. I struggle with understanding and managing my emotions.. and also understanding other people's.. lately I've also been struggling with my identity and sexuality. I feel a lot of confusion and this makes me very overwhelmed which leads to outbursts where I end up self harming.. sometimes I feel like I don't know who I am as a person.. I also struggle with depression and anxiety and have also been diagnosed with bipolar.. what I would like to know is whether anyone else with ASD has experienced or is currently experiencing the same issues relating to managing and understanding emotions and identity issues. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks heaps

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 7:12 am

Yeah. I get a lot of depression as well. I keep thinking about how I'm not doing as well as other people and then I blame myself.

I have lots of crappy emotions like stress and self-loathing.

I also have a bad sense of identity. I know I have low self-esteem which may lead to a bias in my self-perception but I don't know how large this bias is, which makes me think I may be overcorrecting for it. Or not. Maybe I'm over correcting for my perceived over correcting. This makes me lose all sense of identity.

Joshy96
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2017, 7:43 am

Yeah depression really sucks! I also have really low self esteem and feel insecure about the way i look.. im currently on meds for depression and bipolar and am getting therapy for my mental health issues... but i feel as though my aspergers is being overlooked.. thanks heaps for your reply its good to know there are others going through the same soughts of stuff as me :)

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2017, 10:03 am

Joshy96 wrote:
Hi my name is josh I'm 21 years old and I'm new to this site.. I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome when I was 17 years old.. I've always been a very sensitive person.. I struggle with understanding and managing my emotions.. and also understanding other people's.. lately I've also been struggling with my identity and sexuality. I feel a lot of confusion and this makes me very overwhelmed which leads to outbursts where I end up self harming.. sometimes I feel like I don't know who I am as a person.. I also struggle with depression and anxiety and have also been diagnosed with bipolar.. what I would like to know is whether anyone else with ASD has experienced or is currently experiencing the same issues relating to managing and understanding emotions and identity issues. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks heaps

Hi Josh. I can relate to both your struggle with emotions and sexuality. I also used to self harm a lot when I was emotionally overwhelmed. I haven't done it in almost four years. I don't have any advice for you; understanding emotions in myself and others is one of the areas I struggle with most. Sexuality issues were easier to come to terms with. Welcome though!

zac2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Aug 2017, 3:19 pm

Hi I have gone through all this **** now I am in the quieter waters of retirement.
AS is tough when you are young, you have got as yet unrecognised talents.
NT’s see your intelligence and try to smack you down, this is a deliberate act of vandalism.
The big grasping dragon of Depression is a mean beast, just two days ago for the first time in
20 years I was stuck down.
I figured it was a toxin introduced so went and had a sauna for two hours.
The late afternoon I was so so much better, today after a glass of wine the beast is slain.
I do not want that back again, so I will eat well, (fresh salmon) and exercise regular again.
In me bipolar slowly faded away: I admit I enjoyed the highs, but not the lows.
Do I miss the big red button of highs, no not now!
Good luck, hang on it will get better.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 6:37 am

To help relieve depression, I avoid the pharmacy in favour of healthy food, exercise and sunshine. Good sleep and/or meditation also seem necessary, and for me, that means limiting my screen time, which has other benefits as well. Getting laid is nice, but can lead to endless complications.