Thinking about ear defenders -- what are they like?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:36 am

What is blu tack? I would like to try that

Wreck It Ralph

stevet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Aug 2017, 10:04 am

I use a pair of these 3m E-A-R UF01014 Ultrafit X Earplugs ,they are great if you want to cancel out everything .They have very good cancelling at low mid and high freq ,I wear them on the train to work so I can sleep ,specially good at the moment to numb the screaming kids and babies travelling on my train during school holidays. :lol: also used them today at swimming pool kept water out and nothing heard from kids screaming in next pool.Blu tack is like chewing gum but for sticking up notes to wall ect it's blue and tacky :lol:

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2017, 3:00 pm

skibum wrote:
What is blu tack? I would like to try that

Its just like a really thick putty you buy in a stationary supply store. Its used to fix paperwork to walls etc. They only sell it in the uk I think, I'm sure there's an equivalent product in other countries

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 10:10 pm

Yep, Blu-tack is kind of like a chewing gum that you can stick things to walls with, like a poster or drawing. It comes in a kind of sheet, like a thin slab, it's malleable and can be re-used.

When I lived in the States, I'm pretty sure there was an identical equivalent but I can't for the life of me remember the name it had there!

It was exactly like Blu-tack, was packaged the same (in a slim slab) and is used for the same purpose, but may not be called Blu-tack. I think it was also white. I can't remember that name but the product was the same.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2017, 11:28 pm

I got my first pair yesterday. I was in a restaurant tonight having a particularly hard time and remembered they were in the bed of my truck. I went and put them in and it was a huge relief. I could still hear sounds but it took the "sharpness" off everything. I'm going to carry them everywhere from now on.

These are the ones I got.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T ... UTF8&psc=1

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 8:20 am

Wow soloha, that does sound like they really helped. Restaurants are one of my biggest problems because of the noise in them! I even have memories going all the way back to childhood of having meltdowns in restaurants due to the sensory overload aurally.

Yours are interesting -- they look like a combination of earplug and the more visible ear muff/headphone types.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 12:11 am

Oh. Thank you. Turns out I actually have some in my desk. Mine is yellow though and I lost the packaging so I don't know what it is called in the US. But now I know what you mean by blutack. I never thought to put some in my ears but I might just try it now. Thank you friends for explaining what it is. :D

Wreck It Ralph