Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

TehDoomzDay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2017, 3:47 pm

This is probably sort of a strange thing to post out of the blue yet...
I am anticipating the fact I might have to get my phone repaired or buy a new one and possibly buy new workout headphones or buds. Yet, the problem is that music, while doing cardio and other things, is kind of my lifeline at the gym.
I am starting to wonder if I could possibly still retain a fair amount of energy or motivation without some sort of device.
I will try doing my workout without the help of music starting tomorrow, I think.
Does anyone know of any decent coping strategies while at the gym pertaining to just working out without the help of a personal playlist or music on hand?

oddnumberedcat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2017, 10:13 pm

I listen to music at the gym, too... and my phone recently bit the dust. I find it a lot harder to work out without music, but the past few days I've managed okay. The TV helps--I play mental games with myself like guessing how long a commercial will last--and I always cover up the time. (Something about seeing the time makes the workout go by like molasses, idk.)

I've also found that finding something to ruminate over helps, too (I like thinking about a challenging problem I can tackle with coding or interpersonal problems, but could just be thinking up a story for some people or something, idk). It takes some work to get lost in thought, but eventually you can hit on something that gets you thinking so deeply for a few minutes that you forget you're working out.

LaurenLissa

19 Aug 2017, 6:41 pm

I think this depends on the type of exercise you do! If you find yourself really demotivated to the point that you don't even want to workout anymore, then I would say bring a book or magazine and read while doing a brisk walk at an incline on the treadmill. This way, you'll at least stay in the habit of going to the gym while you wait for the repairs to finish.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:42 am

I had what could probably be called some of the weirdest workout music. When I worked out on a ski machine, years ago, I had a tape of national anthems. The upbeat tempo of the majority of the songs was a real motivator. The songs were arranged in alphabetical order by nation and, by the time I got to the S's, my legs were burning.

TehDoomzDay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2017, 5:33 pm

I do like the idea of reading at the gym but I realized that I will probably need a sweatband and/or a haircut.
I sweat a ton..

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 7:46 pm

I walk to the Drunken Peasants.

TehDoomzDay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2017, 9:51 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
I walk to the Drunken Peasants.

OH MY GOD. Same, sometimes.. I used to workout to the Drunken Peasants A LOT.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 12:17 pm

When I exercise I listen to music. I like playlists so I don't have to stop during exercise to change the song.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre