seems like a reasonable place for the spaceship to crash

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 5:26 pm

Hi.
I'm new here, and going to try to keep this brief.
I recently figured out that I'm an aspie. Self diagnosed, so far. Working on the rest of it, getting an actual diagnosis, help, etc.
What an interesting ride.
I may be scarce, but I keep landing on this forum while searching for information about Asperger's syndrome. So I thought I should join the forum, and introduce myself.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 5:33 pm

Hey there!
If there's one thing guaranteed to be found here, it is that we have what might be called "a cast of characters" :lol:

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 1:14 pm

Should be interesting then.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 3:25 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 1:10 pm

Welcome to WP :D !

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

durgaprasadzone
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Aug 2017, 1:32 am

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 2:18 am

You were always meant to crash here, don't worry about it, we all end up zooming and zonking out when we get too close. I tried catching your doomed disc but the blanket blew away in the bombastic breeze again, it's futile but I try to help cushion the impacts anyway. Hope you find some answers in your adventures around these parts! :clown:

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 1:54 pm

Thanks all.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 2:01 am

It's kind of intense being here.
Good, but a bit overwhelming sometimes. It is really, really interesting to actually be able to relate. And read through threads and see other people writing things I've never heard of anyone else deal with but me. Sometimes word for word. It's a little weird, and really intense, and difficult to navigate. I already have a hard time with it, even worse on the internet. But here, I really have to work on containing myself sometimes.
I have a couple of statements I want to make, still working on drafting them.
But today, and for the last few days, and for the last year, I just have to say Wow! What a nightmare. What a hell of a time.
And I wasn't quite sure where to put it, and don't have anyone to say it to in person.
I've been thinking about writing little bits and pieces in this introduction thread, as I approach some level of clarity, or completion with some of what I've felt like saying. For a while now.
And I think I've gone on three long rants here today. (Which is a little bit embarrassing)

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 7:22 am

I just noticed this thread. Yes, I agree, this is one of the most intense online communities I've ever participated in. It's very unique, and people are authentic here, sharing rich and emotional personal experiences. It's a lot to deal with.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 6:25 pm

Kind of an interesting day, and an interesting way for things to take shape.
It is one year tomorrow since I figured out that I'm autistic, and today I finally got a copy of the doctor's report.
Took four months to do an intake, four months to see the psychologist, about one month for him to make his dx, and three months to get a copy of it on paper.
It's a little weird to read through it. Have some research to do. It's been a really interesting journey.
Still really hard to develop an accurate frame of reference. I think I have found more questions than answers, so far.

I hope the rest of the stuff I'm trying to deal with right now moves a little quicker.

Wasn't really sure where to put this, this thread seemed fitting.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 7:07 pm

You're at a way station...

Good luck. With all of it. Sincerely.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 7:37 pm

Thank you. I appreciate it. Looks like a good book. Will put it on my list.

It's been a really interesting year.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 8:09 pm

^^ It's a bit old fashioned - given when it was written - but if you've read any Simak, he's well worthwhile. My favorite of his is a short story called "The Thing in The Stone".

Sorry to be riffing books at you, but if you like Way Station, you might also enjoy a really obscure one by Ward Moore called "Bring the Jubilee". I read it at 16 and it knocked my socks off. Got it to re-read via interlibrary loan last year and it was even better reading now that I'm an old gal, with a lifetime's perspective.

[/Bibliologorrhea off] But actually, the stories may feel relevant to you. Which is probably why they occurred to me.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 8:23 pm

Thank you. I'll check them out. I have a hard time finding new authors. It may be a while. I haven't been reading lately, just can't concentrate where I'm at right now. Although I did find a PDF copy of a William Gibson book yesterday and start on that.
Felt like I could relate to some of CJ cherryh's characters, read a bunch of her books over summer. Tristen from the fortress series.
Also chappie, from the movie Chappie. Some kind of bizarre parallels.

Felt like I could relate to both of those characters way before I heard of Asperger's, not that either of them are supposed to be autistic.

Kind of a ramble there.