The dangers of hasty, arrogant, doxxing

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 10:34 pm

Quote:
But Mr. Quinn’s experience showed the risks.

A man at the rally had been photographed wearing an “Arkansas Engineering” shirt, and the amateur investigators found a photo of Mr. Quinn that looked somewhat similar. They were both bearded and had similar builds.

By internet frenzy standards, that was proof enough.

Fearing for their safety, he and his wife stayed with a colleague this weekend.

“You have celebrities and hundreds of people doing no research online, not checking facts,” he said. “I’ve dedicated my life to helping all people, trying to improve health care and train the next generation of scientists, and this is potentially throwing a wrench in that.”
Continue reading the main story

For someone whose only sin was a passing resemblance to someone else — the actual man in the Charlottesville photo has not been conclusively identified — Mr. Quinn bore the direct consequences of the reckless spread of misinformation in breaking news, a common ritual in modern news events.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/14/us/charlottesville-doxxing.html?

The dangers of hasty, arrogant, doxxing, is harming the non-involved worth it?

Quote:
It was midday Saturday when Joey Saladino’s phone started ringing with threats.

A Twitter account dedicated to pointing out racism, @YesYoureRacist, circulated pictures and names of people who appeared to have participated in the weekend’s white-supremacy march in Charlottesville, Va. While many exposed did not deny their participation, Saladino — better known as Joey Salads on YouTube — was 1,300 miles away in Jamaica.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Doxxing-to-shame-targets-as-political-11818906.php

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 12:41 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
The dangers of hasty, arrogant, doxxing, is harming the non-involved worth it?

Yeah, see, I think this is a very important discussion, cuz this has really concerned me, before, as well..... A couple of years ago, when Baltimore was literally burning, because of the riots, several people may remember the black lady who had seen her son at the riots, on TV, and went to bring him home (and I thought that was BEYOND fabulous, BTW), and thus, away from danger, etc.----what if before she had accomplished what she had gone there, for, someone mistook her being there, for her being a participant? That would've been really BAD, because her intentions were really GOOD!!

NO, "harming the non-involved" is NOT worth it----I mean, what's the purpose? The problem IS, they don't care----the problem IS, they are more interested, seemingly, in appearing to be pro-active, on whatever issue / cause / whatever. The problem, IMO, is that there are WAAAAAY too many people who respond to things, in a WAAAAAY too emotional manner----aka, act NOW, think LATER. The problem IS, another narcissist is bred, every minute, nowadays----and, the expanse of their stage / volume of their audience, has never been more large, cuz they can be re-posted / retweeted / followed / tagged, etc.! !

What if----and, I can't help, but believe this----what if there were people there, on Saturday, who TRULY, ONLY wanted to protest the removal of that statue? What if, for instance, they were TRULY a descendant of someone who died in the Civil War, and they view / value these statues, additionally, as a tribute to their ancestor? I just can't agree with lumping ALL of the Confederate monument-supporting attendees, on Saturday, in with that one horrible person who drove his car into those people----and, NOW, people who weren't even THERE, are getting blamed!! When are people gonna start thinking of someone other than THEMSELVES?