“Virtual Autism” May Explain Explosive Rise in ASD Diagnoses

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 6:53 pm

rowan_nichol wrote:
No, not Autism, more like loosing practice at interaction with others through spending all the time with the screen or other device.

Labeling the effect as any sort of Autism is inaccurate. Autism Is a neurological condition, not a result of spending time to excess in a nonsocial activity/

Agreed.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 6:55 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
https://twitter.com/actingnt?lang=en

Twitter page of Daniel au Valencia

Oh dear! Are you just leaving that here for someone to vent at :lol:

That's what I thought :lol: . I don't have a Twitter account, so sorry- I can't go yell at some stupid fool for thinking autism is caused by too much TV time.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2017, 7:01 pm

EzraS wrote:
I was diagnosed with autism when I was 2, so no.

Autism is something a person is born with.

Er...well yeah....er thats it.

That just about tells anyone (Who is NT and would never dream of asking any of us) everything they need to know.... QED (I guess they need to google that...geez) :roll:

BBC: Radio 4

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 5:17 pm

Daniel Au Valencia wrote:
7. You have used the word “symptoms” without specifying what disease they are a symptom of. If we haven’t verified that there even is a disease, we cannot confidently call them symptoms.

That's what a syndrome is. If you can't have symptoms without a disease how does he explain AIDS? The same guy accuses the author of using logical fallacies while literally comparing her to Hitler and dismissing off-hand any other research or evidence as "not a reliable source" One of the most tedious logical fallacies there are.

As for the article itself, again it seems many are missing the point. It's not saying autism is caused by devices or that autism can be cured by their removal. It's saying that over exposure can cause similar symptoms to autism (yes, that's a thing) leading to a misdiagnosis of autism.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 5:36 pm

Chichikov wrote:
It's saying that over exposure can cause similar symptoms to autism (yes, that's a thing) leading to a misdiagnosis of autism.

I've heard it referred to as an autistic like cocoon

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard