“Virtual Autism” May Explain Explosive Rise in ASD Diagnoses

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 12:07 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
That's the most dumbest article I've ever read. I think the absence of screen time would lead to massive meltdowns if the child has any favourite shows or websites.

That's what happens to me when somebody tries to take my special interest (which involves screens) away 8O .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 12:37 pm

So what they're saying is if I stop coming to this site, stop playing video games and stop watching tv I could get rid of autism! Oh wait... I haven't touched a video game in days and I haven't been watching tv that much and yet I still have autism!

Hmmm... So either I'm doing something wrong or this research is complete BS! :)

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Nuthatchnut
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2017, 12:47 pm

rowan_nichol wrote:
Autism Is a neurological condition, not a result of spending time to excess in a nonsocial activity/

Spending time to excess in a nonsocial activity would seem more like a result of autism than a cause of it.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 12:48 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
So what they're saying is if I stop coming to this site, stop playing video games and stop watching tv I could get rid of autism! Oh wait... I haven't touched a video game in days and I haven't been watching tv that much and yet I still have autism!

Hmmm... So either I'm doing something wrong or this research is complete BS! :)

Exactly! When I was little I had no electronics and I rarely watched TV, but I still showed symptoms and still had autism. The "rise in diagnosis" is because people like me aren't shunned to the side anymore and told their problems aren't real. Which is essentially what this article is doing :roll: .

How are you, AquaineBay :D ? I haven't heard from you in a while.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 1:05 pm

I don't like people that make those kinds of articles! It's as if they are trying to undermine our conditions(for some reason or another, don't know why.) A lot of people seem to can't get it through their heads that autism is a way that your brain operates, so it's kind of black and white you either have it, or you don't.

I bet you if we were to question how they arrived at that theory, they would have absolutely no idea how to explain it.

Stampy I'm doing...honestly meh is the word I will use to describe how I feel. It would be nice to be doing better but, learning social skills is nowhere near easy and I don't have help in doing so.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 1:25 pm

https://twitter.com/actingnt?lang=en

Twitter page of Daniel au Valencia

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 1:28 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
I don't like people that make those kinds of articles! It's as if they are trying to undermine our conditions(for some reason or another, don't know why.) A lot of people seem to can't get it through their heads that autism is a way that your brain operates, so it's kind of black and white you either have it, or you don't.

I bet you if we were to question how they arrived at that theory, they would have absolutely no idea how to explain it.

Stampy I'm doing...honestly meh is the word I will use to describe how I feel. It would be nice to be doing better but, learning social skills is nowhere near easy and I don't have help in doing so.

Yeah- I guess they're trying to find a easy way out of why the rate of autism diagnoses has "raised." The thing is, there isn't a clear reason as to what causes autism. I don't think there will ever be, to be honest. Autism Speaks can try all they want to find the cause, but I think it's a waste of time.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. I am as well (stupid OCD). I wish you had help learning social skills so you don't feel so alone :( . I hope you are able to feel better soon :D .

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2017, 1:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
And there was autism way before there was ubiquitous TV......

Well TVS and Autism were around at roughly the same time. The more tv's the more Autism....it's so apparent,I can't believe anyone has even came to this conclusion. Tv's are everywhere now and so is Autism. Eureka! It's Televisions that cause autism not vaccines!! ! I must get rid of my TV

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 1:42 pm

We had autism (officially) starting in 1943.

Ubiquitous TV didn't come about until the early 50's, really.

And that is in the US. For places like the UK, it was slightly later.

There really wasn't consistent TV until the 1947-1948 season in the US. But very few people had TVs until the early 1950s.

Nuthatchnut
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2017, 1:51 pm

On a purely anecdotal note: I haven't owned a TV in a decade... but I do spend too much time behind a computer.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 2:08 pm

firemonkey wrote:
https://twitter.com/actingnt?lang=en

Twitter page of Daniel au Valencia

Oh dear! Are you just leaving that here for someone to vent at :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 4:40 pm

So those children would be misdiagnosed then and another thing doctors should rule out when diagnosing autism is "is the child exposed to any screen time and for how long?" Doctors also recommend very little screen time for very small children. They are also speculating this is why kids are talking laterer and laterer and why learning disabilities and ADHD have increased because it affects brain development.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 5:26 pm

According to one of my neighbours, it was listening to Led Zeppelin that did it to me.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 5:45 pm

Alexanderplatz wrote:
According to one of my neighbours, it was listening to Led Zeppelin that did it to me.

I bet that bit of armchair diagnosis went down like a lead balloon :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 6:09 pm

Very Clever!! !! !! :mrgreen:

Now that's the Wolfman Spirit!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 6:53 pm

rowan_nichol wrote:
No, not Autism, more like loosing practice at interaction with others through spending all the time with the screen or other device.

Labeling the effect as any sort of Autism is inaccurate. Autism Is a neurological condition, not a result of spending time to excess in a nonsocial activity/

Agreed.