Baltimore: ALL Confederate Statues Have Now Been Removed

Page 28 of 57 [ 902 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 57  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 3:19 pm

...I must say that the endless " BUT WHAT ABOUT BLACK-ON-BLACK VIOLENCE??!" by the statue-lovers, football fans, no doubt etc....is repititious. And what have the statue-lovers done about it? Most Caucasian violence is " white-on-white ", FTM. Violence tends to be committed on people nearby, it's based on proximity.
As for the incidents of proven and alleged police misconduct that inspired the NFL protests...police are NOT SUPPOSED to commit improprieties! Society agrees that ghetto crime, and suburbia crime for that matter, is deplorable, there is a consensus about that.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 10:00 am

Teddy Roosevelt Statue Vandalized Outside Museum Of Natural History

Quote:
A statue of Teddy Roosevelt outside the American Museum of Natural History has been vandalized.

Police said blood red paint was splattered on the base of the monument at the museum entrance on Central Park West and 79th Street sometime overnight.

A wall left of the statue was also defaced.

The bastards are going to win because it is impossible and too expensive to protect every commemoration. Even if this was done by apolitical teen vandals out for a kick they probably got the idea of hitting a statue of a historical figure from the news. It is still a victory for the illiberal left.

I am even more convinced about what I said earlier in this thread it is only a matter of time before graves are targeted. In the recent Ken Burns documentary "The Vietnam War" they showed the communists after they won covering up and bulldozing graves.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 10:43 am

Graves have already been targeted by hate groups.
https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/201 ... vandalized

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 1:12 pm

...You know, if those Dsughters Of the Confederacy groups took some statues...they coulld have " just us girls " wanking sessions staring up at the statues of generals and imagine they'rd in the arms of Clark Gable! (or Adolphe Menjou or Robert Montgomery :P ) They could use yams to gratify themselves, like Karen Finley did (My mother's home county in East Texas had thid annual Yamboree), have mass J/O sessions...but this time, reclaim female sexuality FOR the patriarchy 8) :mrgreen: :wink: :P !

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 4:14 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...I've already lost a draft of his due to my phone, CC, so I will be iting this in installments...
I was going to start a line about the " Big D Lee flee spree glee! " (Okay, okay, okay - :mrgreen: - I always wanted to write headlines for New York City tabloids :wink: .), but, since it's in here...But, to start it out...
Bluntly, the interests of those who want the statues taken off of public land, and the interests of those who wish the statues to emain on public kand, or " rights ", as you put it...essentially run 100 percent in opposition to each other. The " anti- staches " want them gone from public land. The " pro-staches " want them kept on publc land.
Remember that leader of the Charlottesville pro-staches legal fight, who, in a TV address, referred to " Martin Luther C**n "? I wonder how many times he said that in private? Now, I' m not saying every pro-stach is like him...Who was, identally, obviously a person of some position and wealth, to be leading a legal fight. Hardly a " Bubba ".
IIRC, your position about the statues' presence on public land was " the people who don't like the statues should just stay away from that part of town "...I am not9 saying you were thinking of this, but I believe that, in at least some cases in thhe past, the statues were meant to mark " This is the white man's part of town, N.s, STAY OUT! :twisted: "...

at"]Robert E. Lee statue is taken-down, overnight, in Dallas:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-dalla ... SKCN1BQ07Z

Angered anti-statue-removal people had demonstrated, when they first heard word, that it would be coming-down----but, they removed it, anyway. The "Sons of Confederate Veterans" went to court, to stop it, but they, too, were not successful.

I'm thinking that if the South, of all places, is going to be doing all this anti-Confederate stuff, TOO, this is really gonna get serious, and really put some people, up-in-arms (maybe, literally, armed)----and, all it takes is another nutcake, who snaps, and kills another person(s), for ALL white people / Southerners, AGAIN, to be denigrated / held accountable, for that ONE person.

Again / STILL, my argument, is: Why is it that the FOR-removal people get THEIR way / rights, but the ANTI-removal people, are NOT allowed THEIR rights?
[/quote]

...A bunch of additional points, to variojs posts above. But now I'll split it into separate posts.
CC, I misposted just " t " when I meant to post " not " in my last sentence, above, wbi h cohld havs led to a 180-deggee reversal of the meaning as taken by the reader of the sentence. The " not " may not have been understood - Like " guilty " versus " not guilty. Quite a difference :P ! Anyway, I'm sorry for the drastic fubar.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 4:29 pm

Adp :arrow: PartOfMe"]

Aristophanes wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
The country as a whole is losing big time because the ILLIBERAL left is winning because the Republicans are so inept even Trump has given up on them and is doing deals with the Dems. We are not talking just about Confederate statues anymore, that is soo last month, we are talking about statues of Columbus and Francis Scott Key and in due time really making every figure that has anything to do with American History seem like a cancer using the excuse that most of them reflecting their times were bigots.

They're symbols, not history. And what actual history has taught me is that symbols are pretty much erected to be destroyed at some point, sometimes due to cultural shift, others due to foreign intervention, and for being stone and steel they're actually very temporary. How about we stop worshiping symbols altogether and actually just teach people their history, wouldn't that be a more productive use of human time?

As for Columbus and Key I have no issue with them, neither attacked the country, and so they're non-issues for me. I can't speak for others on this issue as I'm not particularly tied to it. But you're right, there are some on the left that want to destroy everything they don't like, just as there are people on the right that want to destroy everything they don't like. It's not a partisan issue, nutcases exist on the fringes of every movement and we're in an era where only nutcases get coverage whether it be far-right on MSM, or far-left on Alt-right media.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Weird era, the Republicans control the Presidency, the congress the statehouses, but the left is influential or controls, higher education, the culture, the communications technologies and time is on their side because the Millennials lean more their way. The opposition leans older, that means they have jobs, family and many have the strength and health or understanding to deal with the illiberal left.

One on one interactions, business, and media drive culture, the government is merely the final arbiter. Slightly over half our population votes, our politics are not truly representative of our actual on the ground culture. People will follow those around them, not politicians. There's a huge silent majority out there that you won't see debate, or even bring up politics, but their interactions in everyday life have a cumulative effect that's greater than anything government can mandate or control. Also of note: more people voted for Democrats than Republicans this election cycle, and not just in the presidential election, in house races as well. You, living in New York, are actually being disenfranchised by me, living in Colorado due to the fact that we get 2 freebie senators regardless of population. And that's just the minority rights inherent in the Constitution, if we're looking at disenfranchisement through gerrymandering, you could be in a house district that looks like a jigsaw puzzle, and the only reason it looks that way is to disenfranchise someone. *the first puzzle is pretty tame, they get wilder as you complete them.

Many on the left are not hard core illiberal's, but have sympathetic leanings. The type of thinking that says I know vandalizing statues is wrong but it damn it does feel good to see those statues defaced and Milo forced to cancel. It is clear that government and campus officials in Berkely and elsewhere enable these riots against opinions they deem hate speech. This has been seen at other campuses. Government officials complicit in this are failing in their job to protect the Constitution and certain citizens. Trump has played fast and loose with protecting the Constitution is a convenient excuse. The statues are symbols. The successful campaign to deface and remove them is symbolic of society's inability and unwillingness to protect the free expression of certain opinions.[/quote]

...ASP, aren't the statues supposed to be neutral memorials? But you seem to say they're " opinions "! 8O The opinion that It Was A Noble, Lost, Cause Which Wasn't About Slavery ? As far as pre-rmpting things go, several states - including NC, where the statuue-smashing eas - have state laws prohibiting the statues from being moved, pre-empting any local option. That would sure tend to buid up on the resentment of the statues that already existed.
If you find the wants-statues-off-public-land side " bastards " would you be willing to go South and chain yourselves to the statues and block the 'dozèrs in civil disobedience? You could all sing Mollu Hatchet/Ted Nugent/Kid Rock songs to keep your spirits up when you're arrested :mrgreen: !
Considering the generations the slavery-glorifying statues werr up, and the likely reaction of pre-1970 authority figures to any criticism, I'm not feeling very weepy about the pore percy-cutt-ed statue lovers.
PRIVATE LAND, and then they can salaam and kneel to the stachie-watchies all they want :roll: :P :mrgreen: !

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 7:59 pm

George Washington's Church Says Plaque Honoring First President Must Come Down

Leaders at the church that George Washington attended decided that a plaque honoring the first president of the United States must be removed.

Christ Church in Alexandria, Virginia will take down a memorial marking the pew where Washington sat with his family, saying it is not acceptable to all worshipers.

“The plaques in our sanctuary make some in our presence feel unsafe or unwelcome," leaders said, a reference to the fact that Washington was a slaveholder.

"Some visitors and guests who worship with us choose not to return because they receive an unintended message from the prominent presence of the plaques.”

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/10/28/g ... -come-down

There Are Four Lights!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 12:01 am

Darmok wrote:
George Washington's Church Says Plaque Honoring First President Must Come Down

Leaders at the church that George Washington attended decided that a plaque honoring the first president of the United States must be removed.

Christ Church in Alexandria, Virginia will take down a memorial marking the pew where Washington sat with his family, saying it is not acceptable to all worshipers.

“The plaques in our sanctuary make some in our presence feel unsafe or unwelcome," leaders said, a reference to the fact that Washington was a slaveholder.

"Some visitors and guests who worship with us choose not to return because they receive an unintended message from the prominent presence of the plaques.”

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/10/28/g ... -come-down

The church of political correctness is also taking down a plaque of Robert E. Lee.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 10:39 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
The country as a whole is losing big time because the ILLIBERAL left is winning because the Republicans are so inept even Trump has given up on them and is doing deals with the Dems. We are not talking just about Confederate statues anymore, that is soo last month, we are talking about statues of Columbus and Francis Scott Key and in due time really making every figure that has anything to do with American History seem like a cancer using the excuse that most of them reflecting their times were bigots.

They're symbols, not history. And what actual history has taught me is that symbols are pretty much erected to be destroyed at some point, sometimes due to cultural shift, others due to foreign intervention, and for being stone and steel they're actually very temporary. How about we stop worshiping symbols altogether and actually just teach people their history, wouldn't that be a more productive use of human time?

As for Columbus and Key I have no issue with them, neither attacked the country, and so they're non-issues for me. I can't speak for others on this issue as I'm not particularly tied to it. But you're right, there are some on the left that want to destroy everything they don't like, just as there are people on the right that want to destroy everything they don't like. It's not a partisan issue, nutcases exist on the fringes of every movement and we're in an era where only nutcases get coverage whether it be far-right on MSM, or far-left on Alt-right media.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Weird era, the Republicans control the Presidency, the congress the statehouses, but the left is influential or controls, higher education, the culture, the communications technologies and time is on their side because the Millennials lean more their way. The opposition leans older, that means they have jobs, family and many have the strength and health or understanding to deal with the illiberal left.

One on one interactions, business, and media drive culture, the government is merely the final arbiter. Slightly over half our population votes, our politics are not truly representative of our actual on the ground culture. People will follow those around them, not politicians. There's a huge silent majority out there that you won't see debate, or even bring up politics, but their interactions in everyday life have a cumulative effect that's greater than anything government can mandate or control. Also of note: more people voted for Democrats than Republicans this election cycle, and not just in the presidential election, in house races as well. You, living in New York, are actually being disenfranchised by me, living in Colorado due to the fact that we get 2 freebie senators regardless of population. And that's just the minority rights inherent in the Constitution, if we're looking at disenfranchisement through gerrymandering, you could be in a house district that looks like a jigsaw puzzle, and the only reason it looks that way is to disenfranchise someone. *the first puzzle is pretty tame, they get wilder as you complete them.

Many on the left are not hard core illiberal's, but have sympathetic leanings. The type of thinking that says I know vandalizing statues is wrong but it damn it does feel good to see those statues defaced and Milo forced to cancel. It is clear that government and campus officials in Berkely and elsewhere enable these riots against opinions they deem hate speech. This has been seen at other campuses. Government officials complicit in this are failing in their job to protect the Constitution and certain citizens. Trump has played fast and loose with protecting the Constitution is a convenient excuse. The statues are symbols. The successful campaign to deface and remove them is symbolic of society's inability and unwillingness to protect the free expression of certain opinions.

As I've said before: the government's stance is they'll allow you to assemble, they make no claims about protecting you from counter speech, that in itself would make them an arbiter, and thus the speech would be compulsory to the government's wishes. As for Berkley, you're quoting the nutcases, and I'm not going to defend them, they should have allowed Milo to speak and Milo should have been shouted down by the vast majority of that campus that feels the opposite way. Also of note, Berkley is a private college, they're not a government institution, they're allowed to do what they want with their property. I'm not forced to allow protesters into my private residence, nor are they forced to allow anyone access to their private property.

As I said before: statues are symbols and symbols are always removed because culture changes and the symbols become out of date, or in most cases a society falls to another and replaces those symbols. For every pristine statue from antiquity there are hundreds more defaced or completely destroyed. That's why I advocate not putting too much faith in a symbol, if you're acting towards the stated ideals of what the symbol represents that's a much more powerful statement then worshiping an idol. I'm sorry, I just don't see any inherent benefit of them, that goes for everything from the Washington monument to the MLK statue to any of these confederate statues that are the topic, to even the American flag for that matter. I'm concerned with the philosophy and direction of movements, not the signifiers, because the signifiers have no meaning without the attached philosophy, in fact they wouldn't even exist without it. On a more practical side of that argument, many philosophies and movements can reach harmony with one another, but not when people are constantly pushing their pride symbols first and foremost over attempting to reach agreement.

On a completely unrelated note, some asshat put a giant, and I mean giant U.S. flag up on his hill right next to where my house is located. The flag whips around at night and creates a loud snapping sound in the wind in which used to be a silent remote area (the reason I moved here). It wakes me up at night and grades on my auditory senses during the day, and makes the dogs from my other two neighbors bark incessantly when it snaps. So no, I'm not a big fan of flags at all at the moment.

...Factual correction: The University of California at Berkeley (Cal) is, in fact, a state college, part of the University of California system. It is a public institution.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 2:57 pm

Man tries to decapitate St. Junipero Serra statue at Mission San Gabriel

Quote:
A metal statue of St. Junipero Serra was vandalized early Friday morning at Mission San Gabriel Arcángel, mimicking a similar incident at another mission less than two months ago.

Pastor Manuel “Tony” Diaz said at 1:15 a.m., a man jumped on the pedestal of the statue and tried to decapitate it with an electric saw. Surveillance video at the mission caught the man on tape.

The right side of the (statute’s) neck has a 2-inch gash in it,” Diaz said.

The man stopped before he could completely saw through the neck. He then threw red paint on it, said Diaz, adding the incident doesn’t surprise him.

“The vandalism of Junipero Serra’s statues at our missions began in the northern part of the state ever since Pope Francis (beatified) him,” Diaz said.

Some people, he said, have protested the decision because of his treatment of native populations in the 18th century. American Indians and others have accused the church of honoring a man they associate with the deaths of thousands of Native Americans, the enslavement of converts to Christianity and the devastation of native culture. Some say he set in motion the genocide of California Indians.

The statue is 15 years old and stands in front of the mission. It sustained damages of about $2,000 as a result of the vandal, San Gabriel police Lt. Riki Nakamura said.

An unidentified man climbed a fence into the San Gabriel Mission Cemetery and smashed two stone statues of Jesus Christ to pieces with rocks on Jan. 21, 2015, one week after Serra’s potential sainthood was announced. The vandalism caused about $50,000 in damage, and the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors offered a $20,000 reward for information leading to the capture of the culprit.

Anyone with information on the vandalism at the San Gabriel Mission is urged to contact San Gabriel police at 626-308-2828. Tips may also be submitted anonymously online to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 6:11 pm

Vermont city considers making mural more inclusive to races

Quote:
Vermont’s largest city is considering making a downtown mural depicting famous people associated with Burlington and Vermont more inclusive after an activist defaced it and called the art racist.

The mural, “Everyone Loves a Parade!,” by Quebec artist Pierre Hardy, is described as celebrating 400 years of Burlington and Vermont history by showing builders and leaders that contributed to the city and state. It was installed in 2012.

But activist Albert Petrarca, a member of the Off the Wall coalition, wrote in an opinion piece in the Burlington Free Press in late October that the mural “has imposed white supremacist and fake history paint on the town square,” by failing to adequately represent Native Americans. He turned himself into police after spray painting on the mural’s plaque in October.

The colorful mural shows historic and contemporary figures including: Samuel de Champlain, Ethan Allen — one of the founders of Vermont — and one unidentified Native American. Independent Sen. Bernie Sanders, who got his political start as mayor of Burlington and Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy are also featured. Musicians include Trey Anastasio of the group Phish, who met at the University of Vermont, and singer-songwriter Grace Potter.

So activist is the new word for vandal, I'm such a dinosaur.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 6:44 pm

Quote:
The statues are symbols.

Yeah; symbols of White Supremacy.
As such, they don't belong as centerpieces within our communities.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 8:11 pm

Piobaire wrote:
Quote:
The statues are symbols.

Yeah; symbols of White Supremacy.
As such, they don't belong as centerpieces within our communities.

Relevant
VVV

TL;DW: Most of those confederate statues were built long after the Civil War was over ... during periods of great racial progress. They were created to intimidate black southerners.

"Why are we suddenly mad about statues? What changed?"

People have been mad about these statues for a long time. Nowadays, the rage has finally boiled over. This isn't because of Trump. It's just social progress.

"What about my southern pride?"

Holding up Robert E. Lee in the name of Southern Pride is like holding up King John (1166 – 1216) as a symbol of British Pride. If southerners really want to feel proud, they should focus on Mark Twain. He was actually a good person. Apparently, criticising some of the worst people ever to live in the American south is a hate crime against the entire American south.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 10:04 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
This isn't because of Trump. It's just social progress.

Strictly coincidental, eh?
:roll:

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 7:55 pm

TL;DW: Most of those confederate statues were built long after the Civil War was over ... during periods of great racial progress. They were created to intimidate black southerners.

Yeah, I remember reading that the statues were put up during the time of civil rights era as a way of saying to black people,"We the Caucasian people are still in power and don't forget that". They're will always be jackasses whom maintain some sort of ignorance & bigotry no matter what regardless of statue or not.At least, the removal of such is 1 less reminder of intensely bigoted times and hopefully, one day all of humanity will be able to look upon on another as brothers and sisters.To quote R. Carlos Nakai Native American musician, we are simply shades of one color,not really different from one another only in mind or histories.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 8:03 pm

Black people make up a very large portion of the American south. Therefore, any discussion of "southern pride" or "southern heritage" is incomplete without a discussion of southern black history.

Notice how the "southern pride" people generally focus on great white southerners exclusively.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/