My brother against me being clean shaven!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 8:54 am

My brother said to me recently "don't be clean shaven you look like a 10 year old boy when you have no facial hair"

I am 27 but why do you think my brother views it in a negative way that I look 10 years old when I am clean shaven?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 9:06 am

Your brother's comment is childish and stupid.

Do and look like what YOU want to do or look like. If you want to be clean shaven, and you enjoy that look or feel, don't let anyone tell you not to for their silly reasons.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 9:10 am

When you're 77 you'll look 60... great!

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 9:12 am

Can you just me a straightforward answer to my question as why he views it in a negative way

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 9:17 am

That's dumb! There is nothing wrong with having a neat and clean appearance. Beards are disgusting and a trap for food and other gross stuff. I hate that scruffy, unshaven look most male celebrities cultivate these days. The nicest looking men have a neat, clean-shaven appearance.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 9:25 am

Jamesy wrote:
"Can you just me a straightforward answer to my question as why he views it in a negative way"
Nobody but your brother can answer that. How do I know why he views it in a negative way? Seems to be his problem, not yours.

My GUESS:
He thinks it's not manly to be so clean shaven that someone looks like a boy instead of a man.

My personal opinion about that:
I don't think it matters as long as the person themselves doesn't care that they look younger.

My guess:
He thinks scruffy stubble or a beard is a better look for a man.

My personal opinion on that:
I feel the complete opposite, as a woman looking at a man, and especially as a woman having to kiss that man.

My guess:
He thinks a man ought to look like a man, if he's a real man, and the way to do that is to have stuff growing out of your face.

My personal opinion:
Oh FFS.

Bottom line is, it doesn't even actually matter WHY he thinks what he thinks.

What matters is it's stupid and arbitrary, doesn't appear to have any "reason" behind it that would be of any real value, and therefore you are safe to consign it the dump-heap of "That's just his opinion and he can f**k off."

Because if I were you, I would.

You can think the same of my opinions too, of course.

Bottom-bottom line: do what YOU want. If you want to be clean shaven it doesn't matter what someone else thinks about that looking like a 10 year old boy or whatever.

If you want to have some other look then do that because it was your decision, not his.

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 10:42 am

Without any further information, there could be any number of reasons he said that. As I try not to be one to judge, the best that I can figure is that you really do have a youthful appearance by default that people would mistake your age (I personally get that a lot with people thinking I'm somewhere between my mid teens to early 20s, despite being in my 30s, and no it's not automatically because I'm clean shaven, because I've seen guys that ARE clean shaven and STILL look their age). The thing about looking a certain age is that people begin to treat you accordingly because that's the first thing they have to go on, and given people are so busy nowadays that there's hardly any time to really get to know each other, it's the only thing they have to go on, which is why first impressions are so key. He's still a butt though, because 10 is most likely an exaggeration, so like everyone said, it's still up to you on what you decide (I personally am clean shaven because I get too itchy when my facial hair gets to a certain length).

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 10:45 am

Why should you let your brother dictate whether to shave or not? On some occasions, the only person you have any reason to listen to is yourself. And this is clearly one of those.