Leader of neo-Nazi group was a US marine

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

rick sanchez
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2017, 10:59 am

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... lon-hopper

The leader of the neo-Nazi group that James Fields marched with in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Saturday before allegedly killing a protester with his car served in the US marine corps until earlier this year.

Dillon Hopper, the self-styled “commander” of Vanguard America, is a recently retired marine staff sergeant and veteran of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Members of his white supremacist group marched in Virginia last weekend.

Hopper, 29, has been using his former name, Dillon Irizarry, when appearing in public for Vanguard America. But he officially changed his name to Dillon Ulysses Hopper in November 2006, according to court records in his native New Mexico.

Charlottesville: man charged with murder was pictured at neo-Nazi rally
Read more
Hopper’s active duty with the marines ended in January this year, according to a Department of Defense record. He has lived in California and Ohio since returning to the US. Hopper’s full service record could not immediately be obtained. His Facebook avatar is currently a cartoon image of Donald Trump building a wall.

Hopper and Vanguard America did not respond to messages seeking comment. Hopper’s identity was first reported by Splinter.

Fields, a 20-year-old military bootcamp dropout from Maumee, Ohio, has been charged with crimes including murder after allegedly driving his Dodge Challenger into a crowd of people in Charlottesville who were demonstrating against the far-right. The crash killed 32-year-old Heather Heyer and injured about 20 others.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 11:23 am

So what?

rick sanchez
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2017, 11:27 am

Raptor wrote:
So what?

Yeah, your right, who gives a f**k?

Except that the military is often a breeding ground for white supremacists.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 1:07 pm

rick sanchez wrote:
Raptor wrote:
So what?

As a veteran I must have missed all that.
:roll:

rick sanchez
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2017, 1:29 pm

Wow, it took me all of .005 seconds to find this.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-w ... 4Y20120821
U.S. Army battling racists within its own ranks

"White supremacists, neo-Nazis and skinhead groups encourage followers to enlist in the Army and Marine Corps to acquire the skills to overthrow what some call the ZOG - the Zionist Occupation Government. Get in, get trained and get out to brace for the coming race war."

"That failed to stop former Marine T.J. Leyden, with two-inch SS bolts tattooed above his collar, from serving from 1988 to 1991 while openly supporting neo-Nazi causes. A member of the Hammerskin Nation, a skinhead group, he said he hung a swastika from his locker, taking it down only when his commander politely asked him to ahead of inspections by the commanding general.

"I went into the Marine Corps for one specific reason: I would learn how shoot," Leyden told Reuters. "I also learned how to use C-4 (explosives), blow things up. I took all my military skills and said I could use these to train other people," said Leyden, 46, who has since renounced the white power movement and is a consultant for the anti-Nazi Simon Wiesenthal Center."

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 7:35 am

rick sanchez wrote:
Raptor wrote:
So what?

Sir, I live in a city that has one of the largest Army induction and training centers in the country. Also, about 40 mile away is large AFB that hosts a large amount of F-16's. Because of this, there is much less racism here than there is in a larger, more 'cosmpolitan' city about 100 miles to our north. The armed forces are not a 'breeding ground' for racists as you say, but sometimes you cannot get rid of a thing that already exists, and undergoes deep cover while those who are into it are on active duty.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 9:16 am

There's always a few bad eggs,any group of people will have a certain percentage of as*holes.
I lived near base,went on base,many family members served.I never saw any racism.The service men and women who have seen active combat are less likely to be racist than the general population.Its hard to hate someone of color who has your back in a tight situation.I know one Vietnam vet who went in a racist,came out with a different attitude becuse of that.
Doubt you find any lifers that are rascist.
Everyone bleeds red.

Last edited by Misslizard on 21 Aug 2017, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 9:18 am

The military doesn't like people who are politically radical----because it threatens the cohesion of any unit to have a radical person who is a "loose cannon."

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 10:05 pm

I think someone was just trying to get attention.
Perhaps he tried to join but couldn't get in, or did join but couldn't cut it, and has been sulking ever since.
Seen it before.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 10:37 pm

So I guess the Nazis I saw in a San Diego hotel could have been from the Naval base!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 12:24 am

The top brass of all branches of the US military roundly condemned the white nationalists' Unite the Right demonstrations, and didn't seem to have a high opinion of their Commander-in-Chief's defense of them, either.