Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2017, 12:52 pm

Does anyone know what this means? Google isn't helping.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2017, 2:51 pm

Could you provide the context it was used in? As that would help narrow down it's meaning.

All depends on the context. In almost all scenarios I can think of it implies a low keyed/depressed (not the diagnosis) response to something that many would perceive as abnormal for the situation (not reacting when the situation calls for a reaction such as crying/laughing/getting angry). Unless it is being used in a sarcastic context where the person it is being applied to was overreacting (IE jumping up and down or becoming irate over junk mail).

It is most often used by clinicians to describe the person's affect.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2017, 3:09 pm

kicker wrote:
Could you provide the context it was used in? As that would help narrow down it's meaning.

All depends on the context. In almost all scenarios I can think of it implies a low keyed/depressed (not the diagnosis) response to something that many would perceive as abnormal for the situation (not reacting when the situation calls for a reaction such as crying/laughing/getting angry). Unless it is being used in a sarcastic context where the person it is being applied to was overreacting (IE jumping up and down or becoming irate over junk mail).

I had a neuropsychologist tell me tests showed a low emotional energy. I wasn't in a state to ask follow up questions at the time and I thought I could just look it up myself later. I'm not having much luck.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2017, 3:19 pm

soloha wrote:
kicker wrote:

I had a neuropsychologist tell me tests showed a low emotional energy. I wasn't in a state to ask follow up questions at the time and I thought I could just look it up myself later. I'm not having much luck.

I think the answer I gave fits then as far as the meaning. To reiterate it means that the clinician picked up that your reactions to emotional stimuli were depressed and that even with prompting you appeared to have little reaction to the stimuli.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2017, 3:54 pm

Thank you for your reply