Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2017, 2:56 pm

I'm that girl who sits in the corner waiting for someone to come up to me and say "Hello". To be honest though, it hasn't worked out for me that well. Now that I noticed it has not been working out for me I am planning to start going up to the person who seems friendly. My only problem is that I never really don't know how to properly go up to someone without acting all weird. Does anyone else have this problem or has been through this? Can someone give me some advice on how to approach others?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 12:58 pm

Oh my gosh you're exactly like me. I can't initiate any interactions with anyone! I just wait for them to come to me. When I was younger, I didn't know I could approach people, so I just sat in a corner thinking, "Why doesn't anyone ask me to play?" When I realized I could (thank goodness for the Internet :D ) I still can't approach people because I don't know how and I would come off as the most awkward person in the universe if I did know how. I wish I could offer suggestions, but I don't know how to make friends. All my friends either came up to me or it was an accident we became friends lol! I hope you can find a way to approach people, and when you do, let me know because I need it :D !

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

ManaLDN
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2017, 5:11 pm

I have one way of approaching people and I don't know if it helps. I like finding reasons to contact that specific person. Something as dumb as asking about directions. Or getting to be in the same club, by an "accident" just to find more of opportunities to force oneself into a basic conversation. If that's what you mean.

Not recommending it if you can act without the pressure that I need to get out of my comfort zone. (Edit: honestly, I also hope that someone would share a better method)

And same type of person here.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2017, 12:24 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Oh my gosh you're exactly like me. I can't initiate any interactions with anyone! I just wait for them to come to me. When I was younger, I didn't know I could approach people, so I just sat in a corner thinking, "Why doesn't anyone ask me to play?" When I realized I could (thank goodness for the Internet :D ) I still can't approach people because I don't know how and I would come off as the most awkward person in the universe if I did know how. I wish I could offer suggestions, but I don't know how to make friends. All my friends either came up to me or it was an accident we became friends lol! I hope you can find a way to approach people, and when you do, let me know because I need it :D !

It's all good :) That's what happened to me and some of my friends. I also get so nervous as coming off as a weirdo or something worse.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2017, 12:27 pm

ManaLDN wrote:
I have one way of approaching people and I don't know if it helps. I like finding reasons to contact that specific person. Something as dumb as asking about directions. Or getting to be in the same club, by an "accident" just to find more of opportunities to force oneself into a basic conversation. If that's what you mean.

Not recommending it if you can act without the pressure that I need to get out of my comfort zone. (Edit: honestly, I also hope that someone would share a better method)

That sounds like a good idea but with a good reasonable excuse might work. I try to be the person who goes to clubs and make myself get into conversations with others that have the same interest as I do.

ManaLDN
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Aug 2017, 2:59 pm

skiddlebugz wrote:
ManaLDN wrote:

That sounds like a good idea but with a good reasonable excuse might work. I try to be the person who goes to clubs and make myself get into conversations with others that have the same interest as I do.

If you are able to spot someone with the same interest as you and start a conversation, I envy you. I have no idea how that works. I may go to a place where everyone has an interest that I share and talk to no one...

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 3:30 pm

skiddlebugz wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

It's all good :) That's what happened to me and some of my friends. I also get so nervous as coming off as a weirdo or something worse.

Yeah :) ! I never know what to do in that type of situation. All my friends have taken the time to seek me out, which is very nice because I would never go up to any of them if they hadn't :( .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

SerOrange
Raven
Raven

31 Aug 2017, 3:40 pm

Corner people unite! Joking aside, I can relate to this, although I get mixed results with my corner sessions.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 4:15 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Yeah :) ! I never know what to do in that type of situation. All my friends have taken the time to seek me out, which is very nice because I would never go up to any of them if they hadn't :( .

I totally relate. This is how I make friends too.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 12:16 pm

hurtloam wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

It's surprising how many people seek me out! I have like 3-5 friends, and they have all taken time to come up to me. I'm "amazing at making friends," really :roll: :D ! (Sarcasm)

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 12:39 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

It's surprising how many people seek me out! I have like 3-5 friends, and they have all taken time to come up to me. I'm "amazing at making friends," really :roll: :D ! (Sarcasm)

How do you get people to seek you out!? That never happened to me, there has to be some reason you draw people!

I could use some of these powers, teach me Obi-Wan Kenobi! :D

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 12:48 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

How do you get people to seek you out!? That never happened to me, there has to be some reason you draw people!

I draw in really weird people! Almost everyone I know is autistic or has some other disability. They all come up to me because I'm really weird too :D ! I have two-three friends with autistic traits at the least, one friend with OCD, and one friend who most likely has Social Communication Disorder.

I made one of my friends once by accident :lol: ! I was waving to somebody in the lunchroom, and they thought I was waving at them. Then we became really good friends :D !

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 2:02 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

I draw in really weird people! Almost everyone I know is autistic or has some other disability. They all come up to me because I'm really weird too :D ! I have two-three friends with autistic traits at the least, one friend with OCD, and one friend who most likely has Social Communication Disorder.

I made one of my friends once by accident :lol: ! I was waving to somebody in the lunchroom, and they thought I was waving at them. Then we became really good friends :D !

I wouldn't care if they were weird or not, I need to learn these powers of yours(and others who get friends in the same manner.) Obi-Wan(now I'm referring to everyone with such abilities)please, some advice on how to obtain the power would be awesome! :)

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."