Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 9:21 pm

A analysis on how The Simpsons came from been a great show to... whatever it is now...

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 12:20 am

Interesting video that highlights what is and isn't funny quite well. Comedy isn't easy to write or produce.

Early Simpsons I would compare to Dumb and Dumber. What made that film funny was Lloyd and Harry don't know they're dumb.

Later Simpsons is more like The Mask. Trying hard to be clever but lacking sublety and too bizarre to really mean much.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 8:37 am

I watch the Simpsons weekly but only as a ritual now as it is a shell of its former self and has been since season 10. As the video said, they used to make fun of pop culture and very rarely used celebrities. The softball episode is my all time favorite mainly because it was a rare gag to use "real" well known people. Now, every episode is "Homer meets fad celebrity". Speaking of Homer, he was an idiot but he still had a good heart. Today, he is just an idiot and knows it. Lame.

I could go on all day but this series should have been put to bed a decade ago. Now it's just getting embarrassing.

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Aug 2017, 2:53 pm

They just ran out of ideas. There was too much money in it it to pull the plug and let it die gracefully. I won't watch it anymore. Another one is south park, I watched a couple of episodes and its completely unfunny now. That's a curse of american TV shows they'll keep making series after they run out of ideas.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 4:14 am

Not sure what I will do if both of those shows go off the air.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 4:42 pm

fifasy wrote:
Interesting video that highlights what is and isn't funny quite well. Comedy isn't easy to write or produce.

Early Simpsons I would compare to Dumb and Dumber. What made that film funny was Lloyd and Harry don't know they're dumb.

Later Simpsons is more like The Mask. Trying hard to be clever but lacking sublety and too bizarre to really mean much.

I love The Mask.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 1:16 am

The Simpsons sucks now because the show's edge has worn off.

Homer Simpson was originally a comical inversion of the "father knows best" stereotype. Nowadays, nobody (in the West at least) even believes in that stereotype anymore ... so inverting the stereotype is pointless.

Bart was originally a very shocking character. Nowadays, the shock has worn off and so Bart just seems like an unlikeable jackass.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2017, 1:21 am

New episodes aren't as good but I might be in the minority that still enjoys them. Not as gaudy as Spongebob nowadays or that teen titans show smh

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 1:41 am

SZWell wrote:
New episodes aren't as good but I might be in the minority that still enjoys them. Not as gaudy as Spongebob nowadays or that teen titans show smh

Saying that a show is better than Teen Titans Go isn't much of a compliment.

That's like saying "My car may be slow, but it's faster than a snail."

I'm saying this because everyone over the age of eighteen already knows that Teen Titans Go is the TV equivalent of AIDS.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2017, 7:13 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
SZWell wrote:

Saying that a show is better than Teen Titans Go isn't much of a compliment.

That's like saying "My car may be slow, but it's faster than a snail."

I'm saying this because everyone over the age of eighteen already knows that Teen Titans Go is the TV equivalent of AIDS.

Lmao I meant better in comparison to how far those shows have fallen off from their originals but point taken.

You'll still see some original content here and there but I understand if the attempt to be modernist is too blatant to enjoy, especially with a classic show like the Simpsons

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 1:47 pm

I really like Super Eyepatch Wolf's videos. I should agree that Simpsons started to fall off somewhere in the late 90s. But I personally still quite enjoyed an episode like the one where Skinner turns out an impostor. For me, it stopped being funny with the episode Tennis the Menace, at which point I found the characters to have grown so far away from what they had previously been, that I just couldn't root for them anymore.

For me, Simpsons was on a winning streak throughout the 90s, and could be divided into three periods of splendor: the early 90s, when it was an ironic send-up of family sitcoms and the American family nucleus; the mid 90s, when it was a biting satire of American society in general; and the late 90s, when it was a streamlined joke-a-minute show that brilliantly poked fun of both society, world issues, and the media and showbiz. From there, it either had to evolve with changing society, or atrophy. Sadly, it did the latter.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2017, 5:41 am

That video is a pretty good summary of the reasons for The Simpsons' decline over the past 20 years. Although I kept watching it until season 14, season 9 was the point where the show really started to get noticeably weaker.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Sep 2017, 10:36 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Not sure what I will do if both of those shows go off the air.
I know how you feel. I still really like the Simpsons & don't really get why people have issues with things about it that just don't matter to me. The last couple seasons of South Park haven't been as good because they changed direction some & it takes getting used to but I still like the show.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition