got a new job, dont think they know i have autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 12:45 am

so i got a new job, its a store locally on my reserve, gas station. im a cashier. so far i dont mind it! i thought i would have a hard time learning the computers but i picked it up fast and i can count the money really well.

although i am a little slow at doing orders, so the line grows pretty fast but im getting it, im just getting a rythym right now. and i forget certain steps and stuff but im getting the hang of it. Im suppose to greet everyone that walks in but sometime when im focused i just dont hear them at all, so the boss told me about that..

so far i dont really see a reason to bring up my diagnoses and idk if its necessary.

Also since this is local MOST people around here either think im an oddball or im autistic, so. idk

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 12:56 am

That's really great you're doing so well.
If you don't feel you want to disclose and you don't need any accomodations to do the work, I don't see any reason why you should have to tell them.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 6:06 am

I was never able to do cash register jobs. No reason to tell them about being autistic. You're performing the job so why look for trouble?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 7:13 am

There's no reason to bring up autism.

Congrats!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 8:13 am

Congrats, it sounds like it's going well!

I agree, so far there's no need to bring up autism. If you feel there comes a time or a situation where it would improve things to disclose and get accommodations, that would be the time. Otherwise, sounds like 'you got this' and you're doing really well at it.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2017, 8:29 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
Congrats, it sounds like it's going well!

I agree, so far there's no need to bring up autism. If you feel there comes a time or a situation where it would improve things to disclose and get accommodations, that would be the time. Otherwise, sounds like 'you got this' and you're doing really well at it.

I would keep it quiet too. I am convinced I lost my last two jobs after I disclosed, not very long after either, a few weeks on both occasions.

BBC: Radio 4

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 9:37 am

I'm honestly in two minds here. I've made a note of letting any employer of mine know about my AS diagnosis - more so just to clarify why I may not be good in social situations, though - but I do realize that not every employer is as understanding about it as my past employers have been. I've generally had good luck in that regard when it comes to employers.

Then again, it sounds to me as though there's no reason for your boss and co-workers to seriously suspect that anything's "off" about you just yet. Which leads me to conclude that you have no reason to tell them either.

Last edited by whatamievendoing on 17 Aug 2017, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 9:40 am

Gas station owners are usually not as progressive as people, say, in IT.

I wouldn't disclose at all.

That would be a built-in excuse to fire you should they wake up on the wrong side of bed in the morning.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 11:35 am

Congrats on your job!! !

I wouldn't disclose your disability to your boss. Most people don't know anything about autism and they will judge you based on the stereotypes they have been exposed to. Most people can tell that there is something off about me. The few times I have told people about my autism, they think I can't possibly have autism because I'm intelligent and I can take care of myself. Or they start treating me like a little kid and become extra condescending. Bosses are not as likely to promote you or give you a lot of hours because they think because you have autism, you can't handle much. I am fine as long as there is no chaos. I like working with kids along as there are rules and boundaries in place. As long as I am backed up when enforcing rules for my kids at work, I'm great. Don't tell your boss about your disability because he might change the way he treats you.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 11:50 am

Big congrats.

Yeah I'd say go with their oddball assessment and leave it at that. I would be concerned about people at work getting weird on you if you brought it up, because so few people understand it. I think as long as your boss knows that you're sincerely trying, he'll cut you some slack. Best of luck!

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 8:58 pm

Kraftykort,and Elaine are right. Why bring it up? People will just get freaky on you. Probably kiss your job good bye........

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 10:36 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
so i got a new job, its a store locally on my reserve

You live on an Indian reservation?

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:54 pm

starkid wrote: