Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 8:45 am

adifferentname wrote:
Presented without comment - unless you count this as one.

BTW thanks for this - I'm stuck at work waiting on someone else's peace of the project and it's pretty funny.

I've got a nagging suspicion that in the next couple weeks we may very well see a black-block rally that gets just as ugly/nasty as Charlottesville, on it's own without the alt-right. I say that because for as dumb and impulsive as the neonazi's can be they've also had an entire life's experience of hiding in the shadows, accordingly measured action and self-preservation is something they grew up with. Antifa have been media darlings and still don't know where that line is where that favor will snap.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 8:47 am

No problem, techstep.

He's one of the few youtubers whose videos I consider 'must-view', primarily because of his humour and ability to turn a phrase - though his reasoning tends to be fairly sound too.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 8:50 am

adifferentname wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I'd admit that my own, ie. human stupidity being the tombstone of liberal democracy or, even further, the tombstone of the human race, seems to be getting less and less uncommon these days.

Suppose all you can do is light a candle rather than curse the darkness.

And be accused of trying to burn it all down to the ground.

Lol, and what I've found helpful there is helping people articulate the ugliness and/or incoherence of their ideas. If it can't help them realize anything it can at least help other people who chance to read it. The light of clarity shines with equanimity on fine artisan porcelain and rotten potatoes alike.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 9:00 am

The best way I'd sum up Colbert, and I think it goes right back to Luke's video I posted in the OP, he and the commercial media are doing their research, figuring out what their fan base or listener base already believes, and giving them a rub & tug at any opportunity they get. Never challenge them, keep pushing their dopamine buttons, and they'll keep forking over the money. If we're not taking integrity or longevity of our civilization into account everyone wins!

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 9:05 am

^

Why WP needs a 'like' button.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 9:45 am

This School of Life is relatively short but I think this is one of those where Alain hit it out of the park. Not that I see any better system on the horizon, just that there clearly is a risk of democracy being the tool of its own destruction with both universal and unqualified suffrage.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 5:23 pm

yes, this SoL video is particularly good.