Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 12:39 pm

Googled Barcelona vehicle attack on Ramblas
Headlines all within in last 45 minutes are interesting,
"At least 1 dead, 32 injured" = 4 minutes ago
"Kills at least one" = 18 minutes ago
"13 dead and 32 injured" = 35 minutes ago
"At least 3 killed" = 44 minutes ago

Last edited by kitesandtrainsandcats on 17 Aug 2017, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 12:47 pm

It sometimes takes a little while to sort things out.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 12:53 pm

Apparently there is a hostage situation in a restaurant now.
Sad thing - I wish people would stop killing and destroying.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 1:37 pm

Trump's probably happy attention is off of him.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 1:48 pm

I'm so tired of this world and all the ways things are.

xDominiel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Aug 2017, 1:58 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:

This.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 3:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Isn't there some way for the media to involve him in it?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 3:11 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

All kidding aside, I expect Trump to use this incident to justify Anti-Muslim travel and immigration bans, thereby trying to give his Alt Right supporters ammo for their nativist stance.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 3:14 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:

*Nods* :(

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 3:24 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

All kidding aside, I expect Trump to use this incident to justify Anti-Muslim travel and immigration bans, thereby trying to give his Alt Right supporters ammo for their nativist stance.

There you go. I wasn't kidding. I expect Trump will become connected with this somehow in a negative way. Not as in poor Trump is going to get picked on, but that just it seems inevitable.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 3:52 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

There you go. I wasn't kidding. I expect Trump will become connected with this somehow in a negative way. Not as in poor Trump is going to get picked on, but that just it seems inevitable.

I was initially kidding, but now I'm not.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 6:48 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Trump tweets reference to inaccurate anecdote about Gen. Pershing

Quote:
In a tweet seemingly responding to the terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, President Donald Trump referenced a factually inaccurate anecdote about combatting Muslim enemies that he often repeated on the campaign trail.

Study what General Pershing of the United States did to terrorists when caught," wrote Trump, less than four hours after the attack. "There was no more Radical Islamic Terror for 35 years!"

The president's post was apparently in reference to a legend about World War I-era Army Gen. John J. Pershing that he first told publicly during a campaign rally in Charleston, South Carolina, in February 2016. According to Trump, Pershing dipped the bullets used to execute Muslim terrorists in pig blood. The Quran prohibits the consumption of pork, which is considered to be "impure."

"They had a terrorism problem and there's a whole thing with swine and pigs and you know the story they don't like them ... and Gen. Pershing was a rough guy and he sits on his horse and he's very astute, like a ramrod. ... And he caught 50 terrorists that did tremendous damage and killed many people ... and he dipped 50 bullets in pig's blood," Trump explained.

"And he had his men load his rifles and he lined up the 50 people, and they shot 49 of those people," he continued. "And the 50th person he said, 'You go back to your people and you tell them what happened.' And for 25 years there wasn't a problem, OK? Twenty-five years there wasn't a problem!"

At the time the story was told, Politifact, an organization that fact-checks the claims of politicians, evaluated Trump's tale and concluded it to be "ridiculous." Politifact cited eight historians who not only noted that the evidence for the blood-dipped bullet aspect of the story "is thin," but also that violence and unrest continued in the referenced region in the Philippines for years during and after U.S. involvement.

Snopes writes of a 1927 Chicago Daily Tribune story noting Pershing "sprinkled some prisoners with pig's blood," which was ultimately "more powerful than bullets" as a warning before releasing the prisoners, as well of a separate account that "attributed the deed to someone other than Pershing."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 8:12 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Trump tweets reference to inaccurate anecdote about Gen. Pershing

Quote:
In a tweet seemingly responding to the terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, President Donald Trump referenced a factually inaccurate anecdote about combatting Muslim enemies that he often repeated on the campaign trail.

Study what General Pershing of the United States did to terrorists when caught," wrote Trump, less than four hours after the attack. "There was no more Radical Islamic Terror for 35 years!"

The president's post was apparently in reference to a legend about World War I-era Army Gen. John J. Pershing that he first told publicly during a campaign rally in Charleston, South Carolina, in February 2016. According to Trump, Pershing dipped the bullets used to execute Muslim terrorists in pig blood. The Quran prohibits the consumption of pork, which is considered to be "impure."

"They had a terrorism problem and there's a whole thing with swine and pigs and you know the story they don't like them ... and Gen. Pershing was a rough guy and he sits on his horse and he's very astute, like a ramrod. ... And he caught 50 terrorists that did tremendous damage and killed many people ... and he dipped 50 bullets in pig's blood," Trump explained.

"And he had his men load his rifles and he lined up the 50 people, and they shot 49 of those people," he continued. "And the 50th person he said, 'You go back to your people and you tell them what happened.' And for 25 years there wasn't a problem, OK? Twenty-five years there wasn't a problem!"

At the time the story was told, Politifact, an organization that fact-checks the claims of politicians, evaluated Trump's tale and concluded it to be "ridiculous." Politifact cited eight historians who not only noted that the evidence for the blood-dipped bullet aspect of the story "is thin," but also that violence and unrest continued in the referenced region in the Philippines for years during and after U.S. involvement.

Snopes writes of a 1927 Chicago Daily Tribune story noting Pershing "sprinkled some prisoners with pig's blood," which was ultimately "more powerful than bullets" as a warning before releasing the prisoners, as well of a separate account that "attributed the deed to someone other than Pershing."

What do you want to bet that Trump's supporters are so enamoured with him that they'll call the actual historical record on Pershing "fake history," and claim that their orange messiah is 100% correct?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 9:09 am

There are now 14 dead between the Las Ramblas attack and another incident.

And now today, news is coming in of an attack in Turko, Finland. http://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2017/08/18/finland-knife-attack.cnn

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 9:13 am

^^^ the other incident is in Cambrils, about an hour's drive from Barcelona. I spent some time there a couple of years ago and recognised all of the places on the news footage. It was just round the corner from where I was staying. Very scary and also very depressing.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame