Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 4:25 pm

I keep seeing comments from users feeling bad that they are only working part time.

Please don't feel bad about it. I know lots of people who work part time because they value their health over the rat race.

I've spent several years of my life working part time when I've been depressed or too physically ill to work full time. I did it because that's all I could manage.

You can only do what you can do.

An 60 watt light bulb shines at 100% of its maximum output. It doesn't make any less effort than a 100 watt bulb. They both shine the very best they can.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 5:02 pm

I work part time, but I have worked at my current place of employment for 15 years and my responsibilities have expanded quite a bit over the years. I like my current job very much.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2017, 5:07 pm

I would love to work part time. I am lucky I am financially sound, own house and no mortgage means a lot. Anxiety has gotten the better of me and the days of doing complicated stressful jobs is over. I any case I am struggling to keep one right now and I really want to work. I have an interview on Monday, wish me luck (and no it certainly will not be 40 hours a week)

BBC: Radio 4

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 5:08 pm

I am embarrassed and feel bad for working part-time but nobody understands why I can only cope with part-time.

The reason why I feel embarrassed is because most people in their 20s and 30s work full-time, because they are young and don't get so tired like middle-agers.

The reason I feel bad is because I look lazy to most people.

A lot of people also get jealous because they work full-time. Whenever I complain about work, people just say "for God sake you only work part-time!"

When I say about getting emotionally drained and stressed out with work, people just say "oh everybody feels that way but we don't have a choice".

Why can't I just win millions of pounds on the lottery so I don't have to have this conversation with people?

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2017, 5:17 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I am embarrassed and feel bad for working part-time but nobody understands why I can only cope with part-time.

The reason why I feel embarrassed is because most people in their 20s and 30s work full-time, because they are young and don't get so tired like middle-agers.

A lot of people also get jealous because they work full-time. Whenever I complain about work, people just say "for God sake you only work part-time!"

When I say about getting emotionally drained and stressed out with work, people just say "oh everybody feels that way but we don't have a choice".

Why can't I just win millions of pounds on the lottery so I don't have to have this conversation with people?

I don't care what anyone thinks anymore. I have made myself ill doing jobs other people thought I should do, and for what Kudos? Honest its just not worth it, well not for me. My anxiety has never been as bad as this and I am going look after myself now, stuff what anyone else thinks.

BBC: Radio 4

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 5:24 pm

I work part time and I love it. I can still have my normal days and still be a parent and I still be employed. I have no idea how people work full time and be parents. But when I worked full time it was stressful but I didn't have kids then. My husband thinks I couldn't handle it but I did it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 5:32 pm

Thank you. I only feel bad about it because I don't make enough money doing so to be able to support myself, otherwise I'd be okay with it. I also feel like I could work full-time, if only someone would hire me as a full-time employee. Everyone I know in person also keeps comparing me to the 100-watt bulbs, only seeing that I don't shine as brightly as them, which also makes things difficult for me not to do the same.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 8:51 pm

Isotomin, I used to live in Lompoc which you know is close to Santa Maria.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2017, 10:34 pm

Voxish wrote:
I would love to work part time. I am lucky I am financially sound, own house and no mortgage means a lot. Anxiety has gotten the better of me and the days of doing complicated stressful jobs is over. I any case I am struggling to keep one right now and I really want to work. I have an interview on Monday, wish me luck (and no it certainly will not be 40 hours a week)

Good luck

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 12:29 am

Most jobs are not suitable for aspies. If people create jobs that allow aspies to be in their element then I'm sure aspies will work just as effectively as anyone.

For the time being the world at large is content to ignore the plight of aspies and so they cannot expect aspies to work equally as well in jobs that place unequal demands on aspies.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 2:49 am

Good point fifasy. What accommodation would be needed do you think.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 5:26 am

Maybe a contract between an aspies employee and fellow employees and the boss. One that states, I the aspies agree to work as hard as anyone in return for acceptance I cannot successfully engage in small talk and that I cannot always be relied on to communicate in the same way others do, but as long as I communicate clearly and am not intentionally hurtful or aggressive to others my individualitynwill be accepted.

Also jobs involving more introspection would be good for aspies. Employers could stop expecting workers to be jacks of all trades. Let's say an aspies is good at designing clothes, they can do it well but can only manage a small amount of interaxtion then why not let the aspies have a quiet corner to work in. They could still engage in team meetings. I think its important too that there is an ombudsman or independent organisation that monitors discrimination against aspies in the workplace. Are aspies getting promoted less despite equal talent? At the moment employers and some unfair employees can get away with taking advantage of an aspies lack of social connections. Workplaces need to be meritocratic accountable, it shouldn't be a case of who is the boss's best friend gets the rewards.

Just some thoughts. You might know better than me hurtloam because I admit I haven't worked because of severe anxiety.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 6:34 am

HistoryGal,

I have been to Toastmasters meetings in Lompoc and liked them very much.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 8:35 am

I didn't join any civic organizations other than helping out at the food pantry and volunteer at the library.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2017, 12:05 pm

I really don't see why anyone would feel bad about working part-time? 8O

I certainly don't feel bad about it. If it was possible financially, I would even work less than 30 hours. I have other things I want to do in my life, and 6 hours a day (plus the time it takes going to and from there).

Of course if you need to work full-time to have enough money (or to have health insurance, I don't know, we have public health insurance for everyone here, but I heard it's different in the US), it's something different. But then again this is not something anyone should feel bad about.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2017, 12:09 pm

Quote:

If people are jealous, they can try to change something about that (of course, in reality, they don't always have the possibility, but many people don't even consider it for themselves..).

Also, what's bad about being lazy?