Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2017, 12:09 pm

Quote:
The reason I feel bad is because I look lazy to most people.

A lot of people also get jealous because they work full-time. Whenever I complain about work, people just say "for God sake you only work part-time!"

If people are jealous, they can try to change something about that (of course, in reality, they don't always have the possibility, but many people don't even consider it for themselves..).

Also, what's bad about being lazy?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 12:54 pm

Being lazy isn't fulfilling. Things don't get done and they pile up and when you have to do the things it's overwhelming because it was left for so long.

Also real laziness is creating a burden on other people for no reason. That is selfish. Other people shouldn't be expected to support you simply because you can't be bothered.

Now if you are really doing your best and can't reach the amount of work others do, that isn't lazy and caring people will want to help out because they know you can't manage on your own and they don't want to see you suffer due to circumstances beyond your control.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2017, 1:11 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Being lazy isn't fulfilling. Things don't get done and they pile up and when you have to do the things it's overwhelming because it was left for so long.

Also real laziness is creating a burden on other people for no reason. That is selfish. Other people shouldn't be expected to support you simply because you can't be bothered.

Now if you are really doing your best and can't reach the amount of work others do, that isn't lazy and caring people will want to help out because they know you can't manage on your own and they don't want to see you suffer due to circumstances beyond your control.

Who defines what is enough work? To me, 6 hours a day is already a lot (I don't mean that because of ASD or something like that). Most of my friends who work in IT think 8 hours a day is too much, at least if you are focused all the time (I'm not talking about people who do nothing but watch youtube videos when they're at work). It's bad for your health (back pain and stuff like that) and also exhausting (concentration usually drops after some hours), and life should IMO consist of many different things (of course, if you have only one special interest, that's also fine, but that's not the case for all people).
I know several people in IT who challenge the idea of working 40 hours a week, and hell there are scientists who say people should only work 4 hours a day, not even 6!

40 hours is nothing that is fixed, it's just something that we are used to nowadays (btw. there are big companies in Germany with 35 hours/week...). If it was 50 hours/week, people who only work 40 hours would be considered lazy. To me personally, 30 hours is normal. 40 is just a number, a number that has historical reasons.

Quote:
Now if you are really doing your best and can't reach the amount of work others do, that isn't lazy

I don't WANT to work 40 hours. Yes, I have chronic pain issues and sleeping disorders that would also make it difficult for me to work 40 hours, but even if I didn't have them, I wouldn't want to work full-time. That's just a personal choice and not everyone who makes this choice does have any kind of illness or disorder. Some people have time-consuming interests like doing volunteer work, some people want to spend more time with their children or friends or animals, some people want to spend more time cooking healthy meals or working in the garden or playing an instrument.

Quote:
Other people shouldn't be expected to support you simply because you can't be bothered.

I don't have to be supported. I have the privilege of making enough money to sustain myself. I don't need support.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 1:17 pm

I go to school full-time, but I've tried to work too many, many times but can never seem to keep a job for a few months at the most. I've never been able to work full-time either. I feel really bad and guilty because it seems like pretty much everybody my age that I know works full time. For me, it is because I feel like I'm failing at life compared to others.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 1:26 pm

anti_gone wrote:
Quote:

A lot of people also get jealous because they work full-time. Whenever I complain about work, people just say "for God sake you only work part-time!"

If people are jealous, they can try to change something about that (of course, in reality, they don't always have the possibility, but many people don't even consider it for themselves..).

That really depends on the level of laziness, everyone is lazy like when you're tired or exhausted but it's only temporary. But some people are really lazy so they don't contribute to help out and they are inconsiderate of others around them and everyone has to pick up on their slack. Even bosses don't like lazy workers and if you are coming to work late or not doing your job, they fire you. Plus things get dirtier and dirtier if you never clean and you create more and more work if you don't clean or pick up after yourself.

And lazy can be used as an insult when you aren't following someone's standards like not bringing your boxes to the loading dock fast enough for someone and it didn't even need to be done that instant or someone calling you lazy because you work part time and you are on disability or you do work full time but it's not a high pay enough job. This is a word I have seen thrown around to put others down because someone isn't following someone else's standards like how welfare should be used or how someone should live their life or because they are not doing something quick enough for someone like it would be like my mom calling me lazy because I wasn't going to bring my cup to the kitchen right now and I was going to do it when I get up from the chair. Now if that cup had been sitting there for days and days and I kept on forgetting, then I think her nagging and impatience would be justified because if I didn't do it now, I would forget again.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 1:32 pm

anti_gone wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Who defines what is enough work? To me, 6 hours a day is already a lot (I don't mean that because of ASD or something like that). Most of my friends who work in IT think 8 hours a day is too much, at least if you are focused all the time (I'm not talking about people who do nothing but watch youtube videos when they're at work). It's bad for your health (back pain and stuff like that) and also exhausting (concentration usually drops after some hours), and life should IMO consist of many different things (of course, if you have only one special interest, that's also fine, but that's not the case for all people).
I know several people in IT who challenge the idea of working 40 hours a week, and hell there are scientists who say people should only work 4 hours a day, not even 6!

40 hours is nothing that is fixed, it's just something that we are used to nowadays (btw. there are big companies in Germany with 35 hours/week...). If it was 50 hours/week, people who only work 40 hours would be considered lazy. To me personally, 30 hours is normal. 40 is just a number, a number that has historical reasons.

Quote:
Now if you are really doing your best and can't reach the amount of work others do, that isn't lazy

I don't WANT to work 40 hours. Yes, I have chronic pain issues and sleeping disorders that would also make it difficult for me to work 40 hours, but even if I didn't have them, I wouldn't want to work full-time. That's just a personal choice and not everyone who makes this choice does have any kind of illness or disorder. Some people have time-consuming interests like doing volunteer work, some people want to spend more time with their children or friends or animals, some people want to spend more time cooking healthy meals or working in the garden or playing an instrument.

Quote:
Other people shouldn't be expected to support you simply because you can't be bothered.

I don't have to be supported. I have the privilege of making enough money to sustain myself. I don't need support.

If you have enough to support yourself you're not lazy. You have a good work life balance.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2017, 7:55 pm

League_Girl wrote:
anti_gone wrote:
Quote:

That really depends on the level of laziness, everyone is lazy like when you're tired or exhausted but it's only temporary. But some people are really lazy so they don't contribute to help out and they are inconsiderate of others around them and everyone has to pick up on their slack. Even bosses don't like lazy workers and if you are coming to work late or not doing your job, they fire you. Plus things get dirtier and dirtier if you never clean and you create more and more work if you don't clean or pick up after yourself.

And lazy can be used as an insult when you aren't following someone's standards like not bringing your boxes to the loading dock fast enough for someone and it didn't even need to be done that instant or someone calling you lazy because you work part time and you are on disability or you do work full time but it's not a high pay enough job. This is a word I have seen thrown around to put others down because someone isn't following someone else's standards like how welfare should be used or how someone should live their life or because they are not doing something quick enough for someone like it would be like my mom calling me lazy because I wasn't going to bring my cup to the kitchen right now and I was going to do it when I get up from the chair. Now if that cup had been sitting there for days and days and I kept on forgetting, then I think her nagging and impatience would be justified because if I didn't do it now, I would forget again.

Ok, my question was not meant that literal, I was not really looking for an answer on why being lazy could be bad ;) The term clearly is pejorative.

What I mean is: I'm fine being "lazy" (i.e. not doing as much as others) if I don't harm myself or others. I don't have to work 8 hours a day or fill every second in my life with something important or meaningful or something like that. What I - personally - really can't stand is when people work 8 hours but actually work only 4 because they spend half of their time doing something else. If they don't want to work 8 hours a day, why should they be paid for 8 hours?

Quote:
If you have enough to support yourself you're not lazy. You have a good work life balance.

So the thread is basically meant for people that don't earn enough money? :oops: I'm sorry if my posting came off as arrogant or something like this then. This "working part-time by choice" thing is a topic that really interests me and it IT salaries are usually high enough so you don't have to work full-time (at least if you don't have children), but unfortunately, it's not like that in all fields.

But this thread may not be the right place then to talk about work-life balance... :?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 6:34 am

Hey anti_gone your input is appreciated. It would be nice for those who feel bad that they can only work part-time to know that other people have made that choice and that it works for them. It will help those who really can't do more feel like they are not alone in their lifestyle even if it wasn't one they would have chosen initially.

You are showing that working part-time can be a positive thing and that is encouraging.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:07 am

No need to feel bad, at least you're working. There are many people who are either not working because they can't find work or they are incapable of working due to an issue of executive functioning or something (:

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2017, 11:35 am

Haha, thank you. At the moment I'm not working because I was fired from my last job in July because people didn't like me there. My new job is due to start in October. I have the feeling that I have a lot better connection with the people in the new job already, as we have more in common and they are more "nerdy".

But I have to say I'm really, really lucky. There are more jobs than qualified people here, at least in IT, but also in some other fields. If had studied something like journalism or anything that has to do with literature or writing, it would be really difficult for me... I would have to take a job in advertising (something which I don't like personally because it's manipulative), and even then there would be so many people for one job I would never stand a chance to get this job. Also I'm glad I didn't study psychology, situation is also very difficult.

Quote:
You are showing that working part-time can be a positive thing and that is encouraging.

Thank you! :D The message is you shouldn't feel bad, regardless if it's a choice or a necessity.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 12:33 pm

Quote:

You prefer not to work 40 hours a week, that's cool. The way I see it, if you are financially OK with working less, then that is totally fine.
It's just a shame society looks upon people who work part-time as "lazy". I don't think part-time workers are lazy. Some people lack that mental capacity to endure hours and days of slog, others have a busy schedule, and, like you said, some people have hobbies and activities they like to do. I know some people have lots of financial responsibilities that require them to have to work 40 or more hours, like an expensive mortgage, going on regular luxury holidays, or saving up for something like moving abroad, or having unholy debts to pay off, etc etc. But I don't have those financial responsibilities, and I can get by on working part-time, because my free time is more important to me than working over my emotional limit for extra money. I'm good at saving my money anyway. Maybe in the future if I had to do more hours to earn a living I will obviously work more hours, but right now I'm good.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 12:37 pm

green0star wrote:
No need to feel bad, at least you're working. There are many people who are either not working because they can't find work or they are incapable of working due to an issue of executive functioning or something (:

I'm going to be in that position in a week :( I'm losing even my part-time job because the company's closing. Six months of trying my best to find a job only got me this one, I only ever heard back from one other place. I've been trying to find a better job, too, for over a year, but haven't had any luck.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 8:55 am

I would like to work full time to save up enough to travel one day. I dream one day of attending a tennis tournament and writing Denis Istomin's story. I am researching his story and putting together some basic information, but I would love to learn the full story of his life from him.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 12:50 pm

I really wish I could work full-time, but I have had the same part-time job as a library aide since 2009, where I started out as a volunteer in 2007. I only earn an hourly wage & can not really afford anything else besides my basic needs like food, grooming products, household cleaners, hair cuts, and gasoline for my car. Two years ago, I was interviewed for a promotion with benefits, but I never heard back about it; I am almost sure that I did not get the job.

I have been jealous about co-workers & other library staff who have been promoted instead of me. It makes me think that they are more popular or better than me; in reality, however, I am probably just less qualified than them.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 1:21 pm

300series,

I am in a similar situation. I believe that I have fewer of the specific qualifications for the higher paying library positions but, one day, I hope my dedication will pay off. I would like to know what I can do to improve my skills and what specific things I need to brush up on to advance. Meanwhile, I am happy that my duties have become far more varied.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 11:09 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
green0star wrote:

I'm going to be in that position in a week :( I'm losing even my part-time job because the company's closing. Six months of trying my best to find a job only got me this one, I only ever heard back from one other place. I've been trying to find a better job, too, for over a year, but haven't had any luck.

Yikes, you sound like my boyfriend ): Except he's only been on the hunt for almost 5 months now. If only they had the unemployment office like they did back in my parents' day. My mom told me that when she was out of a job she went down to unemployment and walk out with a job the next day. Nowadays I don't even think they have that anymore x-x