Does anyone like the New York and New Jersey accent?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 1:21 pm

...I'm from Westcheser County, which is immediaely to the north of NYC, so I have a New York area accent.
Actually, I guess a " NY accent " can go considerably further upstate into Nrw York State. there's someone I know from out here, in Santa Cruz, CA, who has a definite New York accent...but he's from more upstate, Syracuse or something like that...But he does have the accent, he noticed it in me too, when we're around each other I sorta get more fast-talking and " Noo Yawk "-esque :) ...........Um, anyway. So...how's your mom, Ed :P :wink:?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 7:45 am

In truth, the true New York accent doesn't extend that far upstate---not even far beyond Mount Vernon.

It exists in some localities in New Jersey just west of the Hudson, and in a considerable portion of Long Island.

If one goes even into northern Westchester and Rockland county, it becomes uncommon. In Orange and Dutchess Counties, it hardly even exists except among people born in NYC.

The Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse accent is different. It might sound a little "Noo Yawk" but it really isn't. Read up on what is called the "Northern Cities Shift."

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 2:20 pm

...I suppose you've read on this - I spent years 1-6 in White Plains, then 6-18 in Chappaqua, which I consider my home town, then NY times 18-on were in Croton-On-Hudson/Krugers - all north of " Money-Earnin' Mount Vernon " (Do you remember that 80s. NY hip-hop radio DJ named Mr. Magic, KK? :) ); he supposed, not pausing to look at a map (And lose the letter he was writing on this phone if he did, I should say.). Someone who was a traveling musician once told me I sounded like someone who grew up within a 50 mile radius of NYC...which I did! :P

ekortie"]In truth, the true New York accent doesn't extend that far upstate---not even far beyond Mount Vernon.

It exists in some localities in New Jersey just west of the Hudson, and in a considerable portion of Long Island.

If one goes even into northern Westchester and Rockland county, it becomes uncommon. In Orange and Dutchess Counties, it hardly even exists except among people born in NYC.

The Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse accent is different. It might sound a little "Noo Yawk" but it really isn't. Read up on what is called the "Northern Cities Shift."[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Moonlight Path
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2017, 9:18 pm

Yankee accents make my heart melt, it is the voice of angels :heart:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 9:53 pm

...When I first wrote saying I sounded " Noo Yawk "-ish I did think I was naybe exaggerating a touch...I can talk FAST! :)
I kind of think the movie " New York " accent is more an ethnically Italian or " real " Irish accent, and I'm neither*. My parents both came from Texas ( Father - Alamo Heights, by/within San Antonio. Mother - Upshur County, between Big D and the Arkansas border.), kept their mild Southern accents until they died, I describe myself as " one generation removed from being considered Southern " 8)!

kraftiekortie"]In truth, the true New York accent doesn't extend that far upstate---not even far beyond Mount Vernon.

The Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse accent is different. It might sound a little "Noo Yawk" but it really isn't. Read up on what is called the "Northern Cities Shift."[/quote]

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 5:21 am

If you would listen to Alan Alda, Woody Allen, Ray Romano, Robert DeNiro, you would be listening to the "true" New York accent. Groucho Marx had the archaic version of the accent. Fran Dreschler exhibits the extreme form of it.

Melanie, the folk singer who did "Brand New Key," grew up in Queens, and still exhibits a subtle form of it.