Feeling hopeless (trigger warning - suicide)

Page 6 of 47 [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 47  Next

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 7:50 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
Are you getting use to the new medication?

I'm still adjusting. I forgot that that might be why my urge to self-harm is stronger recently.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 9:15 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
MarissaKay wrote:

I don't know if this will help, but have you heard about how some people freeze credit cards? That way, when it melts, the person has time to decide whether they're wanting to use it for an impulse purchase or if it's something they really want/need. That may help you out a little: you don't want the option taken away, but make it REALLY difficult for yourself to access anything dangerous so that you have time to "ground" yourself and look at all of the good things and reasons to stay.

I hope you feel better soon. You're cared about and appreciated here. :) You're certainly not a burden.

I haven't heard of that. That's a good idea - I can try to find somewhere inconvenient to put the things I use for self-harm, so they're still there, but not right where I can grab them on impulse, so I have time to stop and think "Wait, do I really need to do this now?"

Did you take MarissaKay suggestion and put your 'tools' in a inconvenient spot? If you didn't I know it's going to be hard but it sounds like it would help.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 9:19 pm

AquaineBay wrote:

Did you take MarissaKay suggestion and put your 'tools' in a inconvenient spot? If you didn't I know it's going to be hard but it sounds like it would help.

I probably should find a better spot, but I do at least have them in a drawer so they're not right out and extremely tempting. That's probably why I didn't give in sooner.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 10:40 pm

Hey, great job! At least it's a start! Keep it up and you may not need it anymore! Stay strong young dragon, you will be able to fly soon enough.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 11:23 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
Hey, great job! At least it's a start! Keep it up and you may not need it anymore! Stay strong young dragon, you will be able to fly soon enough.

Thank you, that's the plan.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 10:20 am

I am sorry that your urge to hurt yourself has returned, but over time, it will not be as strong. I am still confident that your life will improve, and that you will be happy again. Have you heard about any new job offers?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 1:42 pm

300series wrote:
I am sorry that your urge to hurt yourself has returned, but over time, it will not be as strong. I am still confident that your life will improve, and that you will be happy again. Have you heard about any new job offers?

I know, I just have to wait it out. Like my depression, it tends to come in cycles - it will be strong for a while, and then it will be almost or completely absent for a while, and then it will be strong again, and so on. Usually it takes a few months for these things to not be such a problem anymore, but this time it's lasted longer - almost a year now. I do have hope that if I can get a job I can support myself on, I'll feel a lot better about life and myself. Unfortunately, I've just had more of applying to places and not hearing anything back.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 2:25 pm

Just saw a job listing for the position I applied for from the place that said they wanted to call me but never did :x I guess they didn't find someone more promising, after all.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 6:02 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Just saw a job listing for the position I applied for from the place that said they wanted to call me but never did :x I guess they didn't find someone more promising, after all.

I am very sorry for what happened to you about that job; it is frustrating. Do you know of any place looking for volunteers? Sometimes volunteers can get hired as employees, which is how I got my job; I started out as a volunteer, and then I was hired 2 years later.

My depression is the same way; sometimes it will be really bad, then it gets better, and then gets really bad again. I understand what you are going thru.

More hugs.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 6:54 pm

300series wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

I am very sorry for what happened to you about that job; it is frustrating. Do you know of any place looking for volunteers? Sometimes volunteers can get hired as employees, which is how I got my job; I started out as a volunteer, and then I was hired 2 years later.

My depression is the same way; sometimes it will be really bad, then it gets better, and then gets really bad again. I understand what you are going thru.

More hugs.

My parents need to be nagged again and again to ever take me to volunteer anywhere - I had that problem when I needed volunteer hours for something (don't remember what now). That would work a lot better if I could get to places on my own, but I rely on my parents for transportation. I've volunteered at animal shelters, but the problem is that the stuff I can do there is the stuff the volunteers do. People who are paid to work there would be helping people looking for a pet, management, etc., things that would require more social interaction than I can handle.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 9:20 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I do have hope that if I can get a job I can support myself on, I'll feel a lot better about life and myself. Unfortunately, I've just had more of applying to places and not hearing anything back.

That's what I thought. But then I wanted a better job and a better job and a better job. I will never be satisfied.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 9:31 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
I do have hope that if I can get a job I can support myself on, I'll feel a lot better about life and myself. Unfortunately, I've just had more of applying to places and not hearing anything back.

That's what I thought. But then I wanted a better job and a better job and a better job. I will never be satisfied.

I think if I can get a job I can support myself on, at least I'll only be a burden to myself, instead of to my parents. That would hopefully take away the decision of whether to keep living if I'm nothing but a burden to anyone else, at least - if I don't mind taking care of me, no reason not to if I'm living on my own.

I am kind of afraid, though, that it won't turn out to be as great as I think it will be, and things won't actually get better.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 1:24 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

I think if I can get a job I can support myself on, at least I'll only be a burden to myself, instead of to my parents. That would hopefully take away the decision of whether to keep living if I'm nothing but a burden to anyone else, at least - if I don't mind taking care of me, no reason not to if I'm living on my own.

I am kind of afraid, though, that it won't turn out to be as great as I think it will be, and things won't actually get better.

Do you have a good relationship at all with your parents? Do they have any compassion or understanding of how you are feeling right now?

I have also had my doubts about how my job & living arrangements would turn out. There were certain disappointments I experienced, but they turned out to be worth it. I was able to get thru them, and things improved. I was patient & open-minded, and I got thru them. I hope you can do the same thing.

I am still here for you. More hugs.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 1:57 pm

300series wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

Do you have a good relationship at all with your parents? Do they have any compassion or understanding of how you are feeling right now?

I have also had my doubts about how my job & living arrangements would turn out. There were certain disappointments I experienced, but they turned out to be worth it. I was able to get thru them, and things improved. I was patient & open-minded, and I got thru them. I hope you can do the same thing.

I am still here for you. More hugs.

On the surface, at least, I think I have a good relationship with my parents, but I don't feel comfortable discussing things that go much beyond "small talk" with them. I haven't really mentioned my feelings to them, beyond telling my mom that I've been struggling with depression and self-harm again. She didn't ask anything about it, so I didn't say any more.

I do have trouble being patient sometimes. Thank you for all the support.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 2:06 pm

Why you don't feel comfortable discussing things like your feelings to them? Is it how they react to the things you say? Or do you have a hard time expressing your feelings in a way they would understand?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 4:11 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
Why you don't feel comfortable discussing things like your feelings to them? Is it how they react to the things you say? Or do you have a hard time expressing your feelings in a way they would understand?

It's a bit of both, I guess. I'm not very comfortable discussing my feelings and often can't come up with the words I'm looking for (though it's easier online because I have all the time I need to find the words), and I'm also afraid of the reactions I'll get if I discuss anything personal with them. Since my mom has joined my dad in the "blame dragonsanddemons for everything" and "dragonsanddemons is lazy and clearly doesn't care about anything besides video games and movies" party, I don't feel like I can safely discuss anything of real import - not without fear of being yelled at if they don't like what I'm saying.