Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 8:53 am

Save that quality for when it is established that you and this other person have the same designs on the friendship.

Don't make yourself available all the time for their needs. Don't initiate all the contacting. Let off the gas and see if they call you.

While you may feel a connection with the other person and than be hyper loyal to them, they may not feel the same for you. Worst case scenario they take advantage of you. Most often the person is uncomfortable with what they perceive as needy.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2017, 2:48 am

Good advice.
Also don't become loyal if they do a few nice things for you.
Watch all of their behaviour, are they honest, how do they treat others even people they don't like.
If they're backstabby to other people it can be a sign they do the same to you.

Sometimes people can be good, but later on turn on you.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 3:51 pm

You're right about that!! !! !

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 4:13 pm

That's some good advice you have, but be careful that you don't step too far into being unloyal. Otherwise, being an alphamale jerk. Never be a jerk. Jerks get nobody.

mr.freeze
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2017, 6:24 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
Save that quality for when it is established that you and this other person have the same designs on the friendship.

Don't make yourself available all the time for their needs. Don't initiate all the contacting. Let off the gas and see if they call you.

While you may feel a connection with the other person and than be hyper loyal to them, they may not feel the same for you. Worst case scenario they take advantage of you. Most often the person is uncomfortable with what they perceive as needy.

Well put.

Many of us have been without close, honest friendships for a long time. I think it can be hard not to act needy.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:42 pm

mr.freeze wrote:
Well put.

Many of us have been without close, honest friendships for a long time. I think it can be hard not to act needy.

It's easy to for an average person walking down the street not to gasp for air. It's quite a different story if that same person has spent 30-40 seconds underwater.

Good advice to watch how they treat others. I tried to befriend an old friend from school and one of the first things he did was badmouth my ex-girlfriend. He had a point, but I knew what kind of person he was and broke off contact immediately.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 9:49 pm

Nobody is suggesting you be purposely unloyal. Just don't put it out there so quickly.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 9:46 am

Exactly. You don't want to seem like you'll kiss another person's foot at a moment's notice.

Nobody is anybody's king or queen.

mr.freeze
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Aug 2017, 7:54 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
mr.freeze wrote:
Well put.

It's easy to for an average person walking down the street not to gasp for air. It's quite a different story if that same person has spent 30-40 seconds underwater.

Thank you!

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 8:22 am

People seem to like a little mystery in friendships whereas we like predictability.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 8:30 pm

My general mistrust of people I don't know who go on to talk to me and turn out to seem friendly/polite often makes my internal rough guess of who they are do a one eighty from negative to highly positive.
It worries me that I suffer from some ingrained naivety in this regard, that I'm too easily pulled in by a few kind gestures/words and overestimate the person because my need for any kind of connection with others is so much stronger than my natural instincts. 'Don't be overly loyal' is a motto I could (sadly) live by, though I can't help but feel pessimistic based on my few rubbish experiences of past friends who've become nightmarish fiends at the drop of a hat...

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 8:58 pm

Most of my friends are in a hard place in life and I try my hardest to comfort them.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2017, 10:01 am

Great advice :)

But I do have a question in return, when are a really good friendship established enough?

Back in the days, I had a close friendship, I told my secrets to her and she said hers. We did know each other for a couple of years first and was hanging out a lot but unfortunately we become angry with each other one time and it all stopped in a big argue, we never talked since. It´s been 10 years now and we had 0 contact since that day.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 3:13 pm

If you are a true friend, then you are going to be loyal because you are committing to that relationship and it's the way it is.

That includes
1. Standing up for the other person
2. Being there for them when they go through the rough times
3. Calling them to see how they are doing
4. Being there for their special events

Being overly loyal means that you are putting too much trust in a person to the point that you don't let them breathe.

NightEclipse
Raven
Raven

22 Sep 2017, 5:02 pm

I agree with you on this.

Bianca64
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Oct 2017, 10:36 pm

I know the feel. I was recently screwed over by this "friend" who i thought was my friend, later to find out that the person was psychoanalyzing my traits behind my back, along with the phrases "she's socially awkward" and "she keeps a conversation going on forever..." :roll: ... You learn these things as you go on. A good friend takes time to find, so don't fall for fakes/snakes!! !