Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

rue21
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Aug 2017, 9:02 am

Patient is 21 years old tells the psychiatrist she has OCD. She explains symptoms "such as walking back and forth, repeating certain phrases, counting steps," etc. Patient said her OCD is becoming unmanageable and she needs medication. Doc asks checklist questions about OCD which you can only answer "yes" or "no" to such as "do you wash hands" "do you arrange objects" "do you have religious obsessions"? Doc asks a bunch of questions about the patient's history. Then he asks to speak to the patient's mother, who is in the waiting room. Patient says no but doc says he needs to ask a few questions. Doc asks questions about history such as marriage, pregnancy, young child, etc. Then mom starts complaining about patient sleeping all day, how her husband started yelling everywhere for something patient did last night, etc. Patient tells mom to be quiet but doc insists she let her mom speak. Doc says patient has no regime and thought a residential facility would help with establishing a regime. He thought the patient was too smart for a residential facility and suggested a supported apartment. He asks the patient about her career plans who she wants to become. He said to call a family service organization that offers a supported apartment and employment training. In the end patient asked doc why he didn't prescribe meds. Doc thought patient didn't need meds. Patient asks what is he going to do about the OCD and he answers with the dismissive gesture that he will treat the OCD.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:54 pm

They suck :D . Nothing more to it!

Psychiatrists should listen to their patients. If they don't, then you can tell that they don't really care and are just trying to do what they think is best.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 5:41 pm

This is my attitude based on my experience with psych meds - In this case I'd be happy with no meds since they are known to sometimes do odd things to people in teens and 20 is pretty close to teen.
Supported apartment can be good - getting out of the family environment to your own place can allow for what I'll call decompression.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 10:34 pm

I think that shrink should have respected the patient's privacy and not dragged her mom into this, and realized that maybe the mother would not have the correct answers to some things or would assume too much and tell him stuff based on her assumptions; such is my experience with my mom being involved with my psychiatrist in the past. I also think that if the patient had a satisfying life outside of a residential facility the shrink should just have prescribed the meds to improve her quality of life and not pushed the residential facility thing.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 12:38 pm

rue21 wrote:
Patient is 21 years old tells the psychiatrist she has OCD. She explains symptoms "such as walking back and forth, repeating certain phrases, counting steps," etc. Patient said her OCD is becoming unmanageable and she needs medication. Doc asks checklist questions about OCD which you can only answer "yes" or "no" to such as "do you wash hands" "do you arrange objects" "do you have religious obsessions"? Doc asks a bunch of questions about the patient's history. Then he asks to speak to the patient's mother, who is in the waiting room. Patient says no but doc says he needs to ask a few questions. Doc asks questions about history such as marriage, pregnancy, young child, etc. Then mom starts complaining about patient sleeping all day, how her husband started yelling everywhere for something patient did last night, etc. Patient tells mom to be quiet but doc insists she let her mom speak. Doc says patient has no regime and thought a residential facility would help with establishing a regime. He thought the patient was too smart for a residential facility and suggested a supported apartment. He asks the patient about her career plans who she wants to become. He said to call a family service organization that offers a supported apartment and employment training. In the end patient asked doc why he didn't prescribe meds. Doc thought patient didn't need meds. Patient asks what is he going to do about the OCD and he answers with the dismissive gesture that he will treat the OCD.

Sounds like the psychiatrist isn't so quick to push meds on someone and he would rather try to treat the problem first before meds. Meds cost money.

I think the patient should have stepped out of the room so they could have some privacy. It can be hard hearing things being said about you you might find uncomfortable.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 4:43 pm

League_Girl wrote:
rue21 wrote:

Sounds like the psychiatrist isn't so quick to push meds on someone and he would rather try to treat the problem first before meds. Meds cost money.

I think the patient should have stepped out of the room so they could have some privacy. It can be hard hearing things being said about you you might find uncomfortable.

I agree with you League_Girl. The psychiatrist seem like he was doing what he was suppose to. Talking with another patient family member is good for learning about a patients life.

I think he is pretty good! Some psychiatrist just proscribe meds and go about their business. His suggestion sound like a good idea to me.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 3:05 am

rue21 wrote:

I think the psychiatrist was actually fairly thorough and exhibited a desire to help the patient get on her feet in life. They just prescribe pills and mention little in the way of support services.

If you would like medications for OCD then I'm sure he will prescribe it, as he said he would, and if not, then it's not difficult to another doctor to prescribe it. However cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is often equally, or more effective, and without the side effects, though some individuals find that their OCD is so severe that they need medication to help facilitate the CBT.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 2:50 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Psychiatrists should listen to their patients. If they don't, then you can tell that they don't really care and are just trying to do what they think is best.

As a aspiring psychiatrist myself, I can say that part of being a psychiatrist is more about analyzing behiavior than what the patient tells you. Now from what he said this psychiatrist seems to be ignoring the patient and their mother now there is a difference between straight out ignorign the patient and not taking everything they say as the truth.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 5:10 pm

Pieplup wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

As a aspiring psychiatrist myself, I can say that part of being a psychiatrist is more about analyzing behiavior than what the patient tells you. Now from what he said this psychiatrist seems to be ignoring the patient and their mother now there is a difference between straight out ignorign the patient and not taking everything they say as the truth.

I agree with you. I do think that psychiatrists should analyze the behaviors of the patient, but I also think that people have human rights and if they say they don’t want something, the psychiatrist should at least take into consideration what they are saying unless they are in danger of harming themeselves or others.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine