EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 7:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
EzraS wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Where did I extrapolate it from? Lol!

From your 9000 posts. Most of them clearly imply that you're a Biblical literalist, and a YEC.

So you are saying that you walk, talk, and quack, like a Yec, but are NOT a YEC?

Well then tell us what you Do believe, and then tell us why you pretend to be a YEC when you're not one.

Actually what I did was present a couple of theories that suggest an Ancient Earth Creation theory. Such as the gap theory. Which is probably something a Bible litteralist and YEC would reject. Failed attempt at pigeon-holing me. Not to mention putting words in my mouth and setting up a strawman. And just because someone knows about something, doesn't necessarily mean they are into it.

naturalplastic wrote:
The fact the every religion preaches from its own canon of scripture has nothing to do with whether or not they take scripture literally as history. Most churches temples and etc are concerned with saving souls, and not with geology, so they are not concerned with the Holy Books as works of journalism, or as geology textbooks.

Saving souls is a christian concept.

What I said about what is taught in Synagogues and Mosques and believed by the majority of practicing Jews and Muslims is a fact. You put a spin it all you want, but that but the fact is immutable.

If one is going to call people who believe god created them and the earth idiots, then one has to call the majority of practicing Jews and and Muslims idiots, which is anti-Semitic and Islamophobic. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too. A dilemma for the liberal.

If one consistently expresses their opposition to religion, why should one feel any obligation to give some religions special treatment?

Also, NP made an oversimplfication. Most of those clerics he mentioned aren't so much concerned about 'saving souls' as 'maintaining a body of faithful'. That said, they also tend to focus on teachings that won't drive people out by having little to not relevance to day-to-day life, like how old the rocks are, or how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

What you're describing isn't what is taught and what keeps people away. What's taught that keeps people away is being subservient to god, their creator and doing what god wants, putting their lives and their wants last.

So some christian churches have switched to a what's in it for you, it's all about you, god's going to give you really cool s**t if you put something in the offering plate feel good about yourself message, in a church that looks like a Starbucks.

Synagogues and Mosques aren't known for doing the seeker friendly compromise to have a more secular appeal. They tend to stick to the original program and the majority of practicing Jews and Muslims are creationists....which apparently makes the majority of practicing Jews and Muslims idiots according to liberals.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 7:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
But nobody was calling religious people idiots originally.

I don't believe that all religious people are idiots. But some are, but so are some atheists.

Rather, the OP took issue with Tim Allen's logic in saying that we cannot be descended from apes because apes exist at present. He could have worded it more diplomatically.

Truthfully, most mainstream religious people do not interpret their holy book absolutely literally.

The raw root statement, aside from the OP, is that anyone who's a creationist is an idiot.

Which is fine.

But that ends up being an anti-Semitic and Islamophobic thing to say.

Synagogues do not reinterpret the Torah to have secular appeal. Mosques do not reinterpret the Quran to have secular appeal. They teach creationism.

Last edited by EzraS on 20 Aug 2017, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 7:56 pm

He's a comedian, and that is his field.
If he holds Christian beliefs that is up to him.
If he wants to make a joke that ties in with those beliefs, so be it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:01 pm

EzraS wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
EzraS wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Where did I extrapolate it from? Lol!

From your 9000 posts. Most of them clearly imply that you're a Biblical literalist, and a YEC.

So you are saying that you walk, talk, and quack, like a Yec, but are NOT a YEC?

Well then tell us what you Do believe, and then tell us why you pretend to be a YEC when you're not one.

Actually what I did was present a couple of theories that suggest an Ancient Earth Creation theory. Such as the gap theory. Which is probably something a Bible litteralist and YEC would reject. Failed attempt at pigeon-holing me. Not to mention putting words in my mouth and setting up a strawman. And just because someone knows about something, doesn't necessarily mean they are into it.

naturalplastic wrote:
The fact the every religion preaches from its own canon of scripture has nothing to do with whether or not they take scripture literally as history. Most churches temples and etc are concerned with saving souls, and not with geology, so they are not concerned with the Holy Books as works of journalism, or as geology textbooks.

Saving souls is a christian concept.

What I said about what is taught in Synagogues and Mosques and believed by the majority of practicing Jews and Muslims is a fact. You put a spin it all you want, but that but the fact is immutable.

If one is going to call people who believe god created them and the earth idiots, then one has to call the majority of practicing Jews and and Muslims idiots, which is anti-Semitic and Islamophobic. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too. A dilemma for the liberal.

If one consistently expresses their opposition to religion, why should one feel any obligation to give some religions special treatment?

Also, NP made an oversimplfication. Most of those clerics he mentioned aren't so much concerned about 'saving souls' as 'maintaining a body of faithful'. That said, they also tend to focus on teachings that won't drive people out by having little to not relevance to day-to-day life, like how old the rocks are, or how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

What you're describing isn't what is taught and what keeps people away. What's taught that keeps people away is being subservient to god, their creator and doing what god wants, putting their lives and their wants last.

So some christian churches have switched to a what's in it for you, it's all about you, god's going to give you really cool s**t if you put something in the offering plate feel good about yourself message, in a church that looks like a Starbucks.

Synagogues and Mosques aren't known for doing the seeker friendly compromise to have a more secular appeal. They tend to stick to the original program and the majority of practicing Jews and Muslims are creationists....which apparently makes the majority of practicing Jews and Muslims idiots according to liberals.

The kind of church you're describing is of the "prosperity gospel" type. But rather than being liberal, those espousing that sort of religion are more often than not evangelicals and Pentecostals.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 10:19 pm

Say it with me fellow liberals.

"We will not be intimidated by creationist bullies."

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 10:28 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
The kind of church you're describing is of the "prosperity gospel" type. But rather than being liberal, those espousing that sort of religion are more often than not evangelicals and Pentecostals.

Whatever the case, they're not practicing Jews and Muslims who belive god created them and the earth through devine supernatural means.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:50 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

WE WILL NOT!! !!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 12:48 am

Evolutionists are the bullies, mocking the faith of Jews and Muslims, calling them ignorant idiots et al.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 5:39 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

Creationist bullies? Who's making out Tim Allen to be an idiot, i.e. putting him down?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 2:31 pm

/\tim allen

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 3:23 pm

He's both, obviously.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 5:19 pm

EzraS wrote:

I guess I'm not a "liberal" then. That solves that.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 4:31 pm

Hardened skeptics won't bother to read this, because they can't pry their closed minds open, even a crack, long enough to entertain the idea that they might be mistaken, misinformed, or that there might be a fact or two they haven't already heard (much less that the "facts" they already "know" might be outright falsehoods), but here's food for thought, for anyone still capable of being rational, or curious:

Lee Strobel, 'The Case for a Creator' free PDF

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 6:26 pm

Oh, was he being serious? Statements like that coming from a comedian tend to have me think that he is trying to make people laugh. If he is serious, that is very sad.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 8:07 pm

Food For Thought: If we humans lived in the ocean, creationism probably wouldn't exist.

The ocean is full of life forms that blur the line between animals and microbial colonies. In the ocean, simplistic proto-animas are still very common. For example, non-vertebrate chordates can be found in the sea.

Another Thing: Seaweeds from the Caulerpa genus are unicellular creatures with multiple nuclei. Why didn't God just make them true plants? If God exists, he's clearly trying to blur the lines between the natural groups. The human brain loves categories, but nature does not always work that way.

It's hard to believe in creationism when so many transitional life forms can be found underwater.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 8:08 pm

God would have had to work mighty hard at this......