Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LaurenLissa
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Aug 2017, 12:37 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I personally think you can add/remove a special interest if you want to, but it is about as hard as adding/removing an OCD obsession (which is probably the most difficult thing in the universe :shrug: ). If I were you, I would probably just "go with the flow" and wait until something else spikes your interest. It's okay to have "useless" interests (i.e. you think that your time could be better spent on something else)- I have a lot of those :D ! I could never manage a lifelong special interest, but my interests do tend to last quite a while.

I tried to remove an obsession once, because I objected to it for religious reasons. It was extremely difficult, but eventually, after a year or two, I managed to replace it with something else.

I have successfully removed three interests in the my life. One was a permanent removal (eating disorder obsession with food and eating); the second was a permanent removal of my unhealthy obsession for the painfully depressing manga, Loveless; the last was a complete obsession with Kingdom Hearts that I needed to take a break from for a while. All of this was for religious reasons.

I just go cold turkey. Like, I tell myself, no more. I delete files, stories, sell games. I don't allow myself to be around it. It's hard at first, but worth it in the end.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 2:49 pm

LaurenLissa wrote:
I have successfully removed three interests in the my life. One was a permanent removal (eating disorder obsession with food and eating); the second was a permanent removal of my unhealthy obsession for the painfully depressing manga, Loveless; the last was a complete obsession with Kingdom Hearts that I needed to take a break from for a while. All of this was for religious reasons.

I just go cold turkey. Like, I tell myself, no more. I delete files, stories, sell games. I don't allow myself to be around it. It's hard at first, but worth it in the end.

Yeah, that's how I had to do it, too. There's no way it would have worked if I'd continued to allow myself any access to the problematic obsession.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2017, 4:57 pm

If it wasnt for my wife or my trustee, I would spend every dime I made on my obsession(model trains). It would leave me with nothing to pay the other bills and make my truck payment. It can be managed, but sometimes you need a little help like I do. Dodger

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

LaurenLissa

19 Aug 2017, 7:12 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Yeah, that's how I had to do it, too. There's no way it would have worked if I'd continued to allow myself any access to the problematic obsession.

Yes! It requires a lot of start-up dedication! It seems much easier to maybe put the tokens of my obsessive interest in a bag hidden in the closet, but I know myself too well. In the first month, I'd open it up and restart. I have to purge! It makes since, given that many aspies are black & white thinkers. It's either I'm all in or all out!

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:24 pm

Special interests/obsessions have always been my strongest autistic trait. It's everyone else that had a problem with them. I was forbidden from talking about them for so many hours and this really made me resent my mother because she was allowed to talk about things that interested her whenever she wanted. One of my mom's friends at the time probably had undiagnosed Asperger's and never shut up about wolves or her weird beliefs, but my mom let her go on and on and on about them. I HATED my mom's friend because of that. And the wolf lady had the audacity to tell me I talked about meerkats to much.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:27 am

Two days ago, I really got to indulge in my cat obsession. It was "all about cats." NatGeoWild had an entire day of programming devoted to cats, domestic and wild. I loved it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 11:37 am

My special interests in London and Victorian Britain have come back with a vengeance. I've decided to go with the flow.

Marine414

21 Aug 2017, 3:07 pm

Ok is this a special interest i have over 300 video games between 4 systems, and i also have 2ps4,
2 xbox ones, one ps3, and 1 psp vida, i know how to fix them, modd them and upgrade them with more memory.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 3:41 pm

It's a special interest in my layman opinion :D ^^^^^^^^

I normally consider something a "special" interest if it consumes quite a fair amount of my thoughts and it brings me a lot of happiness and joy. The joy it brings me is what makes me want to share it with others and indulge myself in it (whatever the interest may be). I also usually know quite a fair bit about my special interests, if I dare say :wink: Special interests are great!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine