Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 11:36 am

I did read some comics as a kid but I never regularly followed them because they weren't popular at the school I went to and I was pressured by various factors to avoid things that weren't "cool". In the last few years of my life, I have been reading more comics than ever before but I seem to be the odd man out in the comic book scenes.

I really like 90's Marvel and DC comics but on comic book forums, there tends to be a lot of venom (No pun intended) directed at them. Sure, I have seen the ugly side of 90's comics, with most early Image titles, but when I read the 90's X-books, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Justice League titles, and Teen Titans, I feel like I am making up for lost time and taking care of my past.

Is it just me or are there others like me?

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:16 pm

Am I the only one?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 2:25 am

To be honest, most of my best comic book memories are from the 70s and 80s; mostly Marvel or the now defunct Warner.

Strangelittlegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Aug 2017, 12:25 pm

I was a big Sandman and Johnny The Homicidal Maniac fan (and, obviously, Tank Girl). I was a gothy kind of girl in the 90s. :)

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2017, 8:57 pm

I love Spawn, I'm currently rereading the Spawn series and I'm thinking of reading the Spiderman comics Todd MacFarlane worked on just for the art

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 12:13 am

Strangelittlegirl wrote:
I was a big Sandman and Johnny The Homicidal Maniac fan (and, obviously, Tank Girl). I was a gothy kind of girl in the 90s. :)

I wish I had been a goth kid in the 90's. Instead, I was a whitebread uniform wearing private school kid. I mindlessly watched Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon even when they both turned to crap, only played video games that were "cool" (Mostly FPS games.) or hid/barely spoke about actually good games that didn't fit the "cool kids" standards for a good game, and listening to mainly top 40 bands. Goth kids were mocked, accused of being Satanic, and even advocating suicide.
I had so much brainwashing put into me to be a "good kid" and I finally decided "f**k society!" when I grew sick of being stagnate.

Strangelittlegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Aug 2017, 8:32 am

I was a little older towards the mid-nineties, so much of my personal style was formed by then. I guess we all rebel in our own ways, though. Some a little later than others. The cartoons I remember from that time were still kind of out there from the MTV cartoon era (Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold, etc. etc), but then I was a young adult by then and was only watching them over my daughter's shoulder for the most part. I'd imagine if I'd been younger, I probably wouldn't have been into the more adult comics (I mean, really JTHM was NOT FOR KIDS by any stretch.)

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 11:38 am

Strangelittlegirl wrote:
I was a little older towards the mid-nineties, so much of my personal style was formed by then. I guess we all rebel in our own ways, though. Some a little later than others. The cartoons I remember from that time were still kind of out there from the MTV cartoon era (Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold, etc. etc), but then I was a young adult by then and was only watching them over my daughter's shoulder for the most part. I'd imagine if I'd been younger, I probably wouldn't have been into the more adult comics (I mean, really JTHM was NOT FOR KIDS by any stretch.)

Ah, that makes sense. I was in my developmental years throughout the 90's so I was at the mercy of the screwed up culture I lived in. The odd thing is that most of the kids at the private school I went to LOVED FPS games despite also preaching how God is love and blah blah blah. :roll: I did play those games, though, because not only were they heavily marketed (In hindsight, I think it's because gun culture is ubiquitous in the Bible Belt), I thought they were "cool". But despite the marketing comics got, they weren't considered "cool" by the same kids for some reason.

The nicktoons had so many subtle adult messages that went over my head. I do remember watching SWAT Kats, Pirates of Dark Water, the X-Men cartoon, the TMNT cartoon, and Captain Planet; I thought they were all cool shows. Unfortunately, the first two got cancelled and for a long time I thought I wasn't supposed to like them because they didn't come on anymore and the latter three got considered "uncool" by the private school kids.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 1:48 pm

I pretty much know comics from the 70s or before.

How was Archie in the 1990s?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 4:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I haven't read any of the Archie comics beyond perusing, but just recently he was murdered defending a gay friend. In another, Archie and the gang became zombies, and there was even an encounter with Cthulhu! I don't know if the Archie universe is in fact some sort of multiverse, but that is a possibility.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 6:03 pm

I liked it better when he just hung out in Pop's Chok-lit Shoppe.....

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 7:01 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I haven't read any of the Archie comics beyond perusing, but just recently he was murdered defending a gay friend. In another, Archie and the gang became zombies, and there was even an encounter with Cthulhu! I don't know if the Archie universe is in fact some sort of multiverse, but that is a possibility.

Sounds a lot more exciting than the milquetoast Archie comics I remember reading as a kid. O_O