Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

slave
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 4:06 pm

(If I missed a pre-existing thread on this event, I apologize)

Plans to view?
Thoughts?

Millions of ppl will be converging on the path of totality all across the USA. Epic traffic jams to ensue. Oregon alone expects over 1 000 000 ppl. Other states reporting similar numbers. Wow! :D

Ppl will be taking Selfies-with-the-Sun.... :mrgreen:

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2017, 4:41 pm

Seen it in France long ago, my thoughts and advice... don't miss it, it is awesome and amazing!

[spoiler]

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 4:55 pm

Centerline of totality is 3 miles away from home just across river from the downtown of our little 3 mile wide farm burg.
It will be interesting to see how crowded this 5 stoplight wide spot in the road gets.
My plans have been to stay home.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 11:38 pm

ErwinNL wrote:
Seen it in France long ago, my thoughts and advice... don't miss it, it is awesome and amazing!

[spoiler]

me very jelly! :mrgreen:

imagine what the Ancients must have thought?!

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2017, 2:53 am

They must have been scared s**tless... these are the events when religions are born.

I am not easily impressed or emotional, this is an understatement, but seeing it get dark so quickly and knowing what is happening, truly humbling.

The eclipse from 1999; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt3C5MM7Jkg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9GdfL_ToU

Because the moon is moving away from the earth (very slowly), in ~500 million years there wont be a total eclipse like this anymore. The alignments and distances between the moon, earth and sun are perfect now! Like winning the lottery.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 5:55 pm

Think my early decision to stay home and stay in is going to be a good one, look at that heat index of 100 8O predicted in National Weather Service's current forecast.

With several different neurological, endocrine, and musculoskeletal diseases I do not need to be out in that.
Looks like you're going to have to party without me and my idiosyncrasies of personality.

"Monday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 91. Heat index values as high as 100. South southwest wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms."

Which of course is subject to changes.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 6:38 pm

ErwinNL wrote:
They must have been scared s**tless... these are the events when religions are born.

I am not easily impressed or emotional, this is an understatement, but seeing it get dark so quickly and knowing what is happening, truly humbling.

The eclipse from 1999; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt3C5MM7Jkg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9GdfL_ToU

Because the moon is moving away from the earth (very slowly), in ~500 million years there wont be a total eclipse like this anymore. The alignments and distances between the moon, earth and sun are perfect now! Like winning the lottery.

gr8 vids........ty for sharing :D :nerdy: