What did you learn about the Confederacy in school?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 4:48 pm

For me as child in the 60's in a northern state it was the simplistic. The war was about slavery then the heroic Lincoln "Freed the slaves", the good guys won when Lee surrendered at Appomattox. The reconstruction was glossed over. When reconstruction is glossed over one does not learn the civil war continued by other means, the union got battle fatigue and the South won by 1877. While the Confederate States of America never officially returned the Confederacy as state of mind dominated the south for the next 80 years and is central to the current dispute.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 5:30 pm

When I was a kid in the Sixties the second half of American history was supposed to start at the end of the Civil War and go up to the present. But the teacher and his lady assistant just skipped ahead and started it with the stock market crash and the beginning of the Great Depression in 1929. "Roughly the lifetime of your parents"(which in my case was dead on).

Most of what I learned as a child about the Civil War I learned on my own from- largely from reading that big awesome clothbound book I inherited from Grandad: Bruce Catton's big centinenial book about the war published in 1965 with lotsa pictures as well as text.

We also have lotsa of Civil Battle fields here in the Washington/Richmond area.

No big seismic event in any nation's history can be said to have been caused by any one thing. And our Civil was no exception. You cant say slavery caused it anymore than the Queen saying "let em eat cake" caused the French Revolution. But Catton stated though there were many issues between the regions slavery was the emotional spark that lite the powder keg. All of the other issues (tariffs, and like that) would have been solved through negotiation if not for the little thing about slavery. And that's pretty much what everything Ive read since then confirms. It wasn't just slavery, but it wouldn't have happened without slavery.

The Reconstruction period (1865 to 1877) was actually in some ways a more bitter epoch than the war itself.

Each sides two greatest warriors during the war, both became the two regions greatest peacemakers after the war:Lincoln, and Lee. Lee was realistic that the cause was lost so he set an example "were all Americans now, lets get on with our lives".

Similarly Lincoln tried hold back the vindictive "radical Republicans" om Congress who were out to punish the south. But unfortunately Booth shot Lincoln. So the Reconstruction pretty much got botched. With the worst of both worlds: Blacks being ignored by Washington and the Whites getting bleeped over. And obviously America still hasn't recovered from it all yet.

As William Faulkner wrote "the past is never dead. In fact the past isn't even past".

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 5:45 pm

I can't precisely pin down what I learned in school - that it was in mid 1970s may be part of that. Another possible factor is that Dad's job moved him around the lower 48. I was born in southern California desert then around grade school beginning moved to Rhode Island for a couple years, then after that to Virginia for several years, back to Rhode Island for a couple years, then bouncing around the deep south until I was an adult.
The class which sticks in my memory was in central Georgia in middle of 1970s.
I was more interested in the technology of the thing than in the other -ologies and political things.
If it wasn't boats, trains, airplanes and rockets which they didn't have then, or miniature soldiers, it didn't get my full attention.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:55 am

That carpet baggers were the ultimate evil.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 12:10 pm

Grant was a slob and drunk.

Lee was a top West Point grad with military experience.

We were taught the south had "better" generals.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 12:31 pm

I learned about the Confederates in university.

I learned that they were primarily driven by a desire to keep slavery.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2017, 4:26 pm

I grew up learning that the North and South were two different worlds economically, socially, and culturally. I learned that the war started as a war over economics and States Rights, and ended up being war primarily over slavery. While I'm glad we are all Americans now, I believe the South had every right to secede from the Union and form their own nation if they so desired. That is how the United States came to be when we parted ways with the British Empire.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 4:57 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
I grew up learning that the North and South were two different worlds economically, socially, and culturally.

Yes, because the south had a slave economy.

Quote:
I learned that the war started as a war over economics and States Rights, and ended up being war primarily over slavery.

State's rights? The right to do what? Own slaves?

Economics? You've got that right. The economy changed a lot after slavery ended.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Lost_Cause_of_the_South

Notice how most people who support "state's rights" are just bigots. During the 19th century, "state's rights" was a dog whistle for slavery. During the 20th century, it was a dog whistle for racial segregation. Nowadays, "state's rights" is largely a dog whistle for homophobia. "If gays want to get married, they can go to a different state!"

I don't see how the concept of "state's rights" is patriotic. Doesn't America have unifying cultural values? That's what conservatives always tell me. Why should individual states have their own laws if America is unified by a single set of "American values"?

Quote:
While I'm glad we are all Americans now, I believe the South had every right to secede from the Union and form their own nation if they so desired. That is how the United States came to be when we parted ways with the British Empire.

This is a perfect example of false equivalence.

America succeeded from Britain because Britain was the most evil country in the world at the time. King George III was an unaccountable dictator. The American Revolution was all about the triumph of democracy and freethought over the divine right of kings.

In other words, the American Revolution was largely a progressive revolution. The confederates were regressive. The founding fathers were fighting for liberty. The confederates were fighting for the exact opposite of that.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 5:13 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
For me as child in the 60's in a northern state it was the simplistic. The war was about slavery then the heroic Lincoln "Freed the slaves"...

Same here, and it seemed nobody took anything about the Confederacy or its flag any more seriously than as a bit of decor occasionally displayed by somewhat-backward people.

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

19 Aug 2017, 9:25 pm

Not much. It basically focused on the evils of slavery without going over the details of why the states seceded in the first place. Hint: the first states left because of slavery. Their declarations said as such.

Despite this, I don't really think there was a "good side" to the war. Yes, the victorious Union ended slavery, but that's about the only good it did. 600,000 people died, most of them poor. The rich elites profited while the poor man bled on the battlefield.

I later learned that Lincoln had a sitting congressman deported to the Confederacy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clement_V ... #Expulsion

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:05 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
I grew up learning that the North and South were two different worlds economically, socially, and culturally.

The slave economy was more a because of, not a cause of.
The North had a primarily industrial economy and the South had a primarily agricultural economy. Slave labor made agriculture which was very labor intensive at that point in history supposedly more profitable than hired help. But there is debate about that matter.

Some data nuggets, https://www.civilwar.org/learn/articles/north-and-south

Quote:
The northern soil and climate favored smaller farmsteads rather than large plantations. Industry flourished, fueled by more abundant natural resources than in the South,
The fertile soil and warm climate of the South made it ideal for large-scale farms and crops like tobacco and cotton. Because agriculture was so profitable few Southerners saw a need for industrial development. Eighty percent of the labor force worked on the farm. Although two-thirds of Southerners owned no slaves at all, by 1860 the South's "peculiar institution" was inextricably tied to the region's economy and culture. In fact, there were almost as many blacks - but slaves and free - in the South as there were whites (4 million blacks and 5.5 million whites). There were no large cities aside from New Orleans, and most of the ones that did exist were located on rivers and coasts as shipping ports to send agricultural produce to European or Northern destinations.
Also, in 1860, the South's agricultural economy was beginning to stall while the Northern manufacturers were experiencing a boom.

A slightly smaller percentage of white Southerners were literate than their Northern counterparts, and Southern children tended to spend less time in school. As adults, Southern men tended to belong to the Democratic political party and gravitated toward military careers as well as agriculture.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexc ... -history-2
Quote:
THE profitability of slavery is an enduring question of economic history. Thomas Gowan, writing way back in 1942, noted wearily that “the debate […] has been going on, in one form or another, for almost one hundred and fifty years.”
Intuitively, a business that uses slaves should be profitable. You pay your workers nothing, and reap the benefits of their labour. And some economic historians try to show just how lucrative it was.
Slavery hindered the development of Southern capitalism in other ways. Eugene Genovese, writing in 1961, reckoned that the antebellum South was not profit-seeking. In fact, slavery was not even meant to be profitable. Slaveowners were keener on flaunting their vast plantations and huge reserves of slaves than they were about profits and investment. Rational economic decisions were sacrificed for pomp and circumstance.

Economies which used slavery may, in the long run, have been at a disadvantage. Some analyses suggest that the economic contradictions of slavery led to its inevitable demise.
Of course any account of the economic effect of slavery should note the effect of treating human beings as capital equipment. The direct impact on the utility of the slaves themselves of this condition represented a terrible economic cost. And there was also an opportunity cost to the broader economy, which lost out on the potential human capital and entrepreneurial contributions slaves might have made as free workers. Abolition of involuntary servitude to say nothing of chattel slavery, was clearly a moral imperative. We can also feel pretty safe concluding that, whatever the benefit of the system to slave-owners, its abolition made as much economic sense as anything can.

https://www.civilwar.org/learn/articles ... ted-states
Quote:
When the North American continent was first colonized by Europeans, the land was vast, the work was harsh, and there was a severe shortage of labor. Men and women were needed to work the land. White bond servants, paying their passage across the ocean from Europe through indentured labor, eased but did not solve the problem. Early in the seventeenth century, a Dutch ship loaded with African slaves introduced a solution—and a new problem—to the New World. Slaves were most economical on large farms where labor-intensive cash crops, such as tobacco, could be grown.
By the end of the American Revolution, slavery had proven unprofitable in the North and was dying out. Even in the South the institution was becoming less useful to farmers as tobacco prices fluctuated and began to drop.
Cotton replaced tobacco as the South’s main cash crop and slavery became profitable again. Although most Southerners owned no slaves at all, by 1860 the South’s “peculiar institution” was inextricably tied to the region’s economy.

http://www.ibtimes.com/economics-slaver ... st-1412802
Quote:
It's a debate that has been discussed in academic circles for more than 150 years, with one of the most notable evaluations done by economist Thomas Gowan in 1942. Gowan concluded that plantation slavery was indeed most often profitable to the larger class of slave owners, despite his efforts to prove it was not, and many economists have supported Gowan’s theory over the years, with little evidence to suggest otherwise forthcoming.
But perhaps most importantly, slavery helped drive economic expansion of America and the United Kingdom. Eric Williams, former president of Trinidad and Tobago and an expert on the slave trade, believed that slavery was essentially used as global commodity by the British – it helped forge new trade routes and economic opportunities, a major precursor for British industrialization.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 10:27 am

leejosepho wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
For me as child in the 60's in a northern state it was the simplistic. The war was about slavery then the heroic Lincoln "Freed the slaves"...

Same here, and it seemed nobody took anything about the Confederacy or its flag any more seriously than as a bit of decor occasionally displayed by somewhat-backward people.

Yeah, my experience was pretty much the same as these two posters----'cept, I grew-up in the South.

Also, I agree with the OP, that the South, generally speaking, still seems to have a "Confederate state of mind" (I THINK that's what he was saying)----and, that that "is central to the current dispute".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 10:32 am

My education about the actual Confederacy was very limited; they were the "rebels." Any substantive research had to be performed on my own.

In a macrocosmic sense, I don't like the fact that they sought to maintain the "status-quo"--slavery.

However, on a microcosmic level, it's quite possible to like individual Confederates. And to admire the bravery of Confederate soldiers. One admires them in the sense that one admires the North Vietnamese----they were survivors against great odds.

Most Confederate citizens lived similar to how most Union citizens lived----by the seat of their pants.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Aug 2017, 9:17 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:

Quote:
I learned that the war started as a war over economics and States Rights, and ended up being war primarily over slavery.

State's rights? The right to do what? Own slaves?

Economics? You've got that right. The economy changed a lot after slavery ended.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Lost_Cause_of_the_South

Notice how most people who support "state's rights" are just bigots. During the 19th century, "state's rights" was a dog whistle for slavery. During the 20th century, it was a dog whistle for racial segregation. Nowadays, "state's rights" is largely a dog whistle for homophobia. "If gays want to get married, they can go to a different state!"

I don't see how the concept of "state's rights" is patriotic. Doesn't America have unifying cultural values? That's what conservatives always tell me. Why should individual states have their own laws if America is unified by a single set of "American values"?

Quote:
While I'm glad we are all Americans now, I believe the South had every right to secede from the Union and form their own nation if they so desired. That is how the United States came to be when we parted ways with the British Empire.

This is a perfect example of false equivalence.

America succeeded from Britain because Britain was the most evil country in the world at the time. King George III was an unaccountable dictator. The American Revolution was all about the triumph of democracy and freethought over the divine right of kings.

In other words, the American Revolution was largely a progressive revolution. The confederates were regressive. The founding fathers were fighting for liberty. The confederates were fighting for the exact opposite of that.

They had slavery in the North too. Regardless, the South was invaded by force. They fought to defend their homes from Federal terrorists . Jefferson Davis said " We fight not for slavery, but for independence". You are wrong about the American Revolution. It was not "progressive". The United States was formed out of the desire for a smaller governing body. They didn't want the British Empire controlling their goods and trades, and hindering their religious freedoms. Southerners were patriots in every sense of the word !

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 12:17 am

There was very little slavery north of the Mason-Dixon Line by about 1800

Most of the New England and nearby states had already banned it by then.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 12:41 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Grant was a slob and drunk.

Lee was a top West Point grad with military experience.

We were taught the south had "better" generals.

Yet, who won? Grant and Sherman are today credited with creating modern warfare, whereas Lee carried out what had proven to be an antiquated campaign.
Incidentally, Grant's administration in the White House had crushed and outlawed the Klan, and had enforced civil rights for the black freedmen during Reconstruction. Pretty decent guy, if you ask me.