What did you learn about the Confederacy in school?

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 11:50 pm

Depended on where the school was.
Either way, I formed my own beliefs and went with them.

Anyone care to guess in which direction those beliefs might lean toward?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 11:56 pm

Easy.The Lost Cause.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 5:12 am

rvacountrysinger wrote:
Folks forget, that even though they fired the first shot, the South was invaded by force. Lincoln sent 75,000 troops to Ft Sumter with the purpose of incite a war. He didn't want the South to leave because he wouldn't get his "revenue" ( a direct quote). Honestly, I think it later became a war over slavery.. but it wasn't that simple. It was and it wasn't. And then when you think that only 11% of Southerners owned slaves. They believed they were fighting for independence.

You should replace that profile pic if you're gonna participate in this thread.

Wrapping yourself in American flag while arguing in FAVOR of treason and sedition against the USA is a complete contradiction. :lol: :lol: :lol:

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 2:59 am

I'm Canadian, so I never learned it in school... never had world history either except once every 6 days in grade 10... but we had history of Quebec and Canada every freakin' second day. I learned a bit about the Confederacy from watching a series of fictional movies called North and South.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 1:34 am

In Australian schools, precisely nothing is taught about American history, or politics.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 1:39 am

Raleigh wrote:
In Australian schools, precisely nothing is taught about American history, or politics.

Ditto for the UK.

I learned about it from cartoons.

I remember a Muppet babies episode about "the red coats are coming", but i think that was a different war.

Actually, now I think of it in high school we did a section on slavery in history class and the civil war was mentioned. But I never learned about the confederacy or their names. I just learned that there was a war fought so slaves could be free and how slaves would escape and head north for a better life.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 1:45 am

^ Oh that.

I learnt that from watching "Gone With the Wind."

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 2:14 am

Raleigh wrote:
^ Oh that.

I learnt that from watching "Gone With the Wind."

That movie presents a very warped version of history, based on Pro-Confederate revisionism.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 2:43 am

hurtloam wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Ditto for the UK.

I remember a Muppet babies episode about "the red coats are coming", but i think that was a different war.

Actually, now I think of it in high school we did a section on slavery in history class and the civil war was mentioned. But I never learned about the confederacy or their names. I just learned that there was a war fought so slaves could be free and how slaves would escape and head north for a better life.

The "red coats" were YOU guys. That was the Revolutionary War, not the Civil War three generations later. The "Red Coats" were the British Army that the American colonial rebels fought against to achieve independence.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 2:46 am

the upshot of our civil war lessons, was that the south ran out of supplies, men, and time.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 10:36 am

It was mentioned briefly. We never had much about the US.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 11:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Ditto for the UK.

The "red coats" were YOU guys. That was the Revolutionary War, not the Civil War three generations later. The "Red Coats" were the British Army that the American colonial rebels fought against to achieve independence.

Thanks. I had a suspicion the red coats might have been the British, but i wasn't sure how close that happened to the civil war or it what order they occurred.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 2:39 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Ditto for the UK.

Redcoats are the Brits. That's the War of Colonial Aggression (aka the US Revolution).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 4:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Ditto for the UK.

Redcoats are the Brits. That's the War of Colonial Aggression (aka the US Revolution).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 6:31 pm

In school, we leaarned the the Civil War was primarily about slavery, as well as some economic issues that were not really delved into.

I learned about it from my dad's side of the family which has lived in the are where the Articles of Secession were drawn up and signed. Also, FWIW, my thrice removed grandfather was in the CS Army, and would up walking back to SC from the battle of Nashville with a bullet lodged in his neck.

It was primarily an economic thing, with the Northern States wanting to keep industrialisation in the North, and keep the Southern States as both an agricultural breadbasket and supply of raw materials for northern textile mills.

Sure there were slaves, but the great majority of them were owned by large plantation owners. The further you went into the interior portions of the south, the less prevalent it became. --Sure there were some prosperous 'Dirt Farmers' who owned a few slaves, but for the most part most southerners didn't have them, they couldn't afford them even if they wanted them. --FWIW, there were also Black Freedmen wo were prosperous enough to own slaves, and they had no issue with it at all.

Note that Lincoln's famous 'Emancipation Proclaimation' came about in the middle of the civil war, not in the beginning, as it would have been if Lincoln was dead serious about 'ending slavery'. Delaware and Maryland were Northern Slave States until the proclaimation.

A lot of Souther Apologists say that slavery would indeed have ended after the War, had the CSA won, and their arguments are certainly very plausible, but it's largely hyperbole in the fact that they didn't win.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 7:28 pm

Fogman wrote:
In school, we leaarned the the Civil War was primarily about slavery, as well as some economic issues that were not really delved into.

I learned about it from my dad's side of the family which has lived in the are where the Articles of Secession were drawn up and signed. Also, FWIW, my thrice removed grandfather was in the CS Army, and would up walking back to SC from the battle of Nashville with a bullet lodged in his neck.

It was primarily an economic thing, with the Northern States wanting to keep industrialisation in the North, and keep the Southern States as both an agricultural breadbasket and supply of raw materials for northern textile mills.

Sure there were slaves, but the great majority of them were owned by large plantation owners. The further you went into the interior portions of the south, the less prevalent it became. --Sure there were some prosperous 'Dirt Farmers' who owned a few slaves, but for the most part most southerners didn't have them, they couldn't afford them even if they wanted them. --FWIW, there were also Black Freedmen wo were prosperous enough to own slaves, and they had no issue with it at all.

Note that Lincoln's famous 'Emancipation Proclaimation' came about in the middle of the civil war, not in the beginning, as it would have been if Lincoln was dead serious about 'ending slavery'. Delaware and Maryland were Northern Slave States until the proclaimation.

A lot of Souther Apologists say that slavery would indeed have ended after the War, had the CSA won, and their arguments are certainly very plausible, but it's largely hyperbole in the fact that they didn't win.

Lincoln was willing to end the war without ending slavery, but that doesn't mean slavery wasn't the primary reason the traitor states seceded. It just means he valued keeping the Union united above anything else. The north didn't go to war to end slavery, and it's dishonest backpatting by the victors to insist so, but slavery was THE reason the war occurred.

Also, regarding black freemen 'having no problem with it', are you sure they had no issues, or maybe they only accepted it as the reality that surrounded them?

Regarding how wide spread slavery was, you're repeating a common Lost Cause myth.

Quote:

Myth #3: Only a small percentage of Southerners owned slaves.

Closely related to Myth #2, the idea that the vast majority of Confederate soldiers were men of modest means rather than large plantation owners is usually used to reinforce the contention that the South wouldn’t have gone to war to protect slavery. The 1860 census shows that in the states that would soon secede from the Union, an average of more than 32 percent of white families owned slaves. Some states had far more slave owners (46 percent in South Carolina, 49 percent in Mississippi) while some had far less (20 percent in Arkansas).

But as Jamelle Bouie and Rebecca Onion point out in Slate, the percentages don’t fully express the extent to which the antebellum South was a slave society, built on a foundation of slavery. Many of those white families who couldn’t afford slaves aspired to, as a symbol of wealth and prosperity. In addition, the essential ideology of white supremacy that served as a rationale for slavery, made it extremely difficult—and terrifying—for white Southerners to imagine life alongside a black majority population that was not in bondage. In this way, many non-slave-owning Confederates went to war to protect not only slavery, but to preserve the foundation of the only way of life they knew

http://www.history.com/news/history-lis ... ut-slavery

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う