Suicidal thoughts getting worse

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Broken Sun Beam
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Aug 2017, 8:54 pm

My suicidal thoughts are getting worse not better. My psychiatrist felt that Xanax would help. I am currently on wellbutrin. I have never tried anxiety medication.

I'm worried because it is a controlled substance. But I also fear if nothing changes I may end up having to hospitalize myself.

I have no doubt in my mind that of I attempted I would succeed. I don't want to do that to my family but the situation is escalating. My suicidal episodes are getting more painful and more intense. I don't know what to do. What happens if I'm hospitalized? Will I lose my job? What will the medical bills look like? What if it doesn't even help me?

Everything just seems hopeless. I want to be better. I don't know how to conquer my depression. :cry: :| :( :cry:

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 9:54 pm

Have you recently started taking those medications? When I started taking prozac, right at the beginning I started having more suicidal thoughts. It could be a temporary side effect, I don't know.

What I do know is if you were to commit suicide I won't be able to brighten your day with funny comments! :(

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Broken Sun Beam
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Aug 2017, 10:18 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
Have you recently started taking those medications? When I started taking prozac, right at the beginning I started having more suicidal thoughts. It could be a temporary side effect, I don't know.

What I do know is if you were to commit suicide I won't be able to brighten your day with funny comments! :(

I started taking them about a month ago so yes sort of new? I was told I might experience side effects for a couple of weeks. I wonder if I should try to wait it out? *Sigh* I'm tired of feeling like crap. My husband is really stressed out by it too. He puts on a tough face but I know it makes him physically ill with worry which is why I started taking some of my episodes to this forum to try to give him a break so he can have a moment of peace.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 10:52 pm

For me it took like 2 to 3 weeks(maybe a little more, don't remember exactly.) for the thoughts to subside. Now they come back very occasionally, but I know medicines work on different people differently. If it were me I would either try my best to hold out for another month or maybe call the doctor and ask if there is possibly a general length the side effects is suppose to last.

Suicide is not the answer though. Always remember you have a loving husband that would be very sad to see you go, you must fight it, if not for yourself, then for him!

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2017, 3:49 pm

Xanex for depression? Bloody hell, they dont like giving it to anybody in the UK its horrible coming off it.

Broken Sun Beam
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Aug 2017, 5:16 pm

Victor1985 wrote:
Xanex for depression? Bloody hell, they dont like giving it to anybody in the UK its horrible coming off it.

I hate to say it but I trust the UKs and Canada's judgement before my own country's. The USA doesn't like to admit to their mistakes or learn from others. A very dangerous form of pridefulness.

I probably won't try the Xanax I that case. Perhaps ill ask if there's something more mild.

Hoggy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Aug 2017, 6:35 pm

I know most antidepressants take 4-6 weeks before you start to see the full benefits (yours could take longer I've not heard of that one). I suppose you could wait another week or so if you wanted but if I told my GP I was having increased thoughts of suicide while on medication im sure they would quickly and safely swap me to an alternative and give you therapy.

I don't know much about Benzos their not often given out here and sometimes you can only get them on a private prescription due to the high potential for dependence and addiction to them. I know they take effect much quicker though.

Unfortunately being the other side of the pond I won't know what the costs and impact on your job would be. It would be free for me, and the job would depend on the type of contract I have and how long I've been there for.

I dont know what crisis hotlines - suicide helplines you have in America but if their even half as good as the one in the UK their deffo worth a go if you need imediate help.

I wish you all the best and stay strong.