Do you own a gun?
Yes, I own a gun/guns. 31%  31%  [ 14 ]
No I don't own a gun. 69%  69%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 45

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 4:11 am

I know gun ownership can be a hot topic, so you don't have to leave a comment. I'm certainly not looking to start a debate with a poll. If you care to mention the kind of gun(s) you own, feel free.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:04 am

In some countries, you can't just go and purchase one (except for maby air rifles).

I've thought about joining up and learning with some seasoned hunters, then getting a hunters license and some useful rifle, but living in the city with no vehicle it is too much hassle travelling to the north of Sweden and maintaining that license. I bought "The Hunter - call of the wild" instead on steam :D

I had some experience with weapons at my previous job (Armed forces), while it was fun to squeeze of a few rounds, i only saw it as a tool.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:21 am

I have never owned a gun and have no interest.

But, having said that, I think if I lived in an isolated situation in a remote spot in the US, as a woman by myself I MIGHT reluctantly buy one and learn how to use it to at least have a deterrent and a weapon of self defense if necessary.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:57 am

Hunting rifle: Weatherby Mk. V in .30-06.
Hunting shotgun: Beretta S55 O/U 12 ga.
Pistol: Heckler & Koch USP in 9mm.

Ichinin, I would recommend taking the hunting course if at all possible. Once passed, it's permanent, no need to renew. You'll need to get the relevenat permits for the year you intend to hunt, but the thing itself is permanent. Also, hunting licenses for guns are also lifetime, while others are limited to 5 years. Plus, the ecology bit is something I wish more people had a decent understanding of.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:57 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Ichinin, I would recommend taking the hunting course if at all possible. Once passed, it's permanent, no need to renew. You'll need to get the relevenat permits for the year you intend to hunt, but the thing itself is permanent. Also, hunting licenses for guns are also lifetime, while others are limited to 5 years. Plus, the ecology bit is something I wish more people had a decent understanding of.

In my case it would be easier with a compound bow, or one of those retractable hunting bows, easier to put in a backpack without getting jumped by a swatteam when traveling by train :) For me it's primarily a question of logistics. I could keep a rifle at a family members place (in a secure cabinet) in the countryside, but i still would have to travel with it to the hunting areas. Would still be fun to follow some people out on a hunt (one of those where you walk around, not the ones sitting in a chair as an excuse to drink whiskey).

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 10:36 am

380 Smith & Wesson bodyguard
Ancient Winchester bolt action single shot .22
Marlin bolt action .22

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Aug 2017, 12:22 am

I have a low vision disorder & tremor disorder so guns are kind of dangerous for me. I do have a BB pistol & a pellet pistol thou. They're at my parents house because I moved across the country to an apartment when I moved out. I never used em much but they were fun.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 12:32 pm

45 millimeter Glock

In the past, when I stupidly made the mistake of mentioning to someone that I have one, a lot of the time they got obsessed about it

One of them even offered to hire someone to confiscate it from me.

Psychologists ask a list of questions. Shortly after "are you plotting to violate the Mandated Reporter Law" , "comes do you own any weapons?".

So, pretty much from now on, I will not tell anyone that I got a gun

Unless they show me they got one too

Kind of a random, specific topic

With political ramifications

And some precious lil "people" are totally obsessed with guns. When I mentioned it, she acted totally disgusted and surprised. Then she randomly brought up the topic at unrelated intervals

:D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 1:06 pm

Too many motor coordination issues for it to be safe for me.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 2:17 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
45 millimeter Glock

No.

A gun with a rifled barrel and a 45 millimeter bore would be a cannon twice over.

A gun with a rifled barrel and a bore of 0.45 inches (11.2 mm in metric), however, would sling that same old ponderous hunk of lead that's been in use over in Eagleland for more than a century.

Unless, of course, you meant that the pistol itself was 45 millimeters in length, in which case I must question the ergonomics...:)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 2:51 pm

The people who need to know about who owns what ... already do.

But, for the conversational window shoppers, I own a SIG Sauer P229 Nitron Compact .357 SIG pistol (which, whenever I would use it at a nearby indoor range, caused everyone at the range to lean back just slightly to see who owned the "hand cannon"). I also own a SIG Sauer SIGM400 Enhanced 5.56x45mm/.223 rifle. But, I am so busy these days, it has been years since I had the time to go to any ranges.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Aug 2017, 3:28 pm

Were not allowed firearms here the best I can do is high grade replicas and deacts. I have a deactivated yugo m56 SMG, a luger, tt33 and a really nice mosin nagant air rifle. It looks nicer than most real ones ive seen only without the patina.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:27 pm

Sig P229 Elite - My first born. I named him "Big Sig", he's my baby. He has nice wooden grips and night sights so you can be sure to hit your target in a pitch black room or during an eclipse. (He's sweet) Decided to buy him instead of a designer purse, so I went online and found the most coveted gun at the time, went to the Bullet Hole to see one and ordered him the same day - it was love at first sight. I'd like to find him a little sister Sig that's lighter and easier to conceal - I already have a name for her "Sissy Sig".

Ruger 38 Special - Not too special after I got my thumb bruised so bad that I couldn't move it for about 3 weeks (haven't shot it since nor given it a name). This was an impulse buy. I took Ma out to get her first gun and we both bought 38 Specials. Ma's gun has a laser - kinda nifty.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:34 pm

“Have no fear of robbers or murderers. They are external dangers, petty dangers. We should fear ourselves. Prejudices are the real robbers; vices the real murderers. The great dangers are within us."

- Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:45 pm

Syd wrote:
“Have no fear of robbers or murderers. They are external dangers, petty dangers. We should fear ourselves. Prejudices are the real robbers; vices the real murderers. The great dangers are within us."

- Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

OK then why not fear robbers, murderers, prejudices and vices?

Besides what is a "vice" is vague and subjective.

What is a vice in one situation could be an advantage in a different situation

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:58 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Sig P229 Elite - My first born. I named him "Big Sig", he's my baby. He has nice wooden grips and night sights so you can be sure to hit your target in a pitch black room or during an eclipse. (He's sweet) Decided to buy him instead of a designer purse, so I went online and found the most coveted gun at the time, went to the Bullet Hole to see one and ordered him the same day - it was love at first sight. I'd like to find him a little sister Sig that's lighter and easier to conceal - I already have a name for her "Sissy Sig".

Ruger 38 Special - Not too special after I got my thumb bruised so bad that I couldn't move it for about 3 weeks (haven't shot it since nor given it a name). This was an impulse buy. I took Ma out to get her first gun and we both bought 38 Specials. Ma's gun has a laser - kinda nifty.

Good choices all around! :)

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)