Heard the best saying ever about "mild" Autism.. Brilliant!!

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 4:56 am

I was watching Remrov's youtube video on "mild" Autism (high functioning Autism) and she showed a brilliant spot on accurate postercard saying that she found on facebook. I don't know the person who originally said this but I thank him or her eternally.

The postercard said, "Mild (and I am inserting HFA here) Autism does not mean that I experience my Autism mildly. Mild Autism means that YOU experience my Autism mildly.

Wreck It Ralph

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 5:39 am

I like that!

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2017, 5:44 am

Nice one...

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 5:48 am

skibum wrote:
I don't know the person who originally said this but I thank him or her eternally.
Playing in Google found a name on this webpage, http://the-art-of-autism.com/favorite-quotes-about-autism-and-aspergers/
Quote:
83. [So-called] Mild autism doesn’t mean one experiences autism mildly… It means YOU experience their autism mildy. You may not know how hard they’ve had to work to get to the level they are,” Adam Walton

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 6:36 am

It's true, of course. Sometimes, one with mild autism can experience it to a "severe" extent.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 6:54 am

I agree.

People say to me: "But you do not look like an autistic" or "but you seem so normal". *sigh*

They do not see the isolation, the constant loneliness trying to find love, the struggle to cope trying to maintain living space so it wont get filled up with dust/junk. The constant interpreting of your words, the constant pressure to be social and the stress that comes from that (and commuting to work).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:01 am

I like it too.

Autism is not something like, say, a toothache, that assaults you from outside.

It's your way of being.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:05 am

But we mustn't give up on the people with lack of knowledge. People learn and grow.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:13 am

Ohhhhh that's GOOOOD!! !!

I love it! That is such a great way to say it to someone.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:21 am

Yeah, I look fine for the first hour dealing with people each day, but if I try to average more than that, the illusion begins to crumble.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:27 am

Erwin, thamk you so much for posting the card. I am so glad you put it on here.. The picture is so beautiful also.

Wreck It Ralph

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 12:53 pm

Ichinin, I had people say that to me too. They think I can't possibly be autistic because I'm intelligent and I can take care of myself. Most people my town have only seen the autistic students that are in self-contained classrooms in our local schools. It blows people's minds when they see an autistic person that was in regular and honors classes throughout their school years.

I like that quote about mild autism. It might seem mild to other people, but my autism impacts me severely at times.

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2017, 2:13 pm

skibum wrote:
Erwin, thamk you so much for posting the card. I am so glad you put it on here.. The picture is so beautiful also.

No problem, here is the largest version without text I could find:
http://tuesenciadivina.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/944233_470340063048280_2024601645_n.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kimota/170483936/

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 2:35 pm

Awesome! Thank you!

Wreck It Ralph

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2017, 3:11 pm

Quote:
People say to me: "But you do not look like an autistic" or "but you seem so normal". *sigh*

How do you manage to do that? :lol: People never doubted my Asperger's just for one second... (well, as a child many people thought I couldn't be autistic because I spoke so well...but later everyone I told about Asperger's just agreed)

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

19 Aug 2017, 4:13 pm

Ichinin wrote:
I agree.

They do not see the isolation, the constant loneliness trying to find love, the struggle to cope trying to maintain living space so it wont get filled up with dust/junk. The constant interpreting of your words, the constant pressure to be social and the stress that comes from that (and commuting to work).

As the saying goes, "And you don't look ignorant, yet here we are!" :lol: I also can pass for "awkward but normal," but I don't think that really makes things easier--it just makes it that much more awkward when you're really struggling to keep it together.

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"